Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stressed out from new job

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I just finished my four weeks of classroom training for my inbound call center job, did really well and averaged 98%. Today we are learning the phones, and I can't do anything I am so stressed, I may as well have just walked in off the street, people talk to fast, I can't hear them, their mad it is so over whelming I am not going to quit as I really hope that it gets easier, and I am not a quitter I would rather stick it out. I know some of us here have worked in a call center is this normal the first day on the job, all the calls they are asking me to do stuff that I haven't learned and some stuff I should know but I am just so overhwhelmed my mind is blank. I do hope tommorow goes better. I feel like I need a drink!!! or eight ;) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CyberKitten
June 20th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I don't know what to tell you since I've never been a call centre worker other than as a volunteer during an election or our hospital telethon. Surely it will get easier. I do know I hate receiving calls at home from OUTBOUND ctres- I feel like it is invasion of my privacy and valuable time and it is ALWAYS around dinner. I am never rude tho - but sometimes the callers are and that I don't understand, unless it is the stress - but I wish they would not take it out on me, especially if they actually hope to make a sale.

I find making inbound calls stressful too though - press this for that and something else and by the time you actually get to speak to a real live person, I am stressed myself. I wonder if that's why ppl are angry. Then too I try not to be upset with the person on the other side of the line but I do think companies need to hire more people or realize how stressful they make their system, for employees AND customers!

I do hope it gets better for you though!! And one cannot know all the answers the same day - do they provide you with a quick and easy faq and ways of finding solutions? And lots of support as a newbie? Can you ask for help?

Good luck!!! Don't be too hard on yourself. No first day is ever easy I don't think!

angie79
June 20th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Keep with it you just have to realize people aren't usually calling because they are happy its because there is a problem.... just keep in mind they are not mad at you they are mad at the situation.... I always appoligise to who ever I call before i start the conversation....

It will get easier once you learn the job

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM
yes there is a search engine and you can type in the problem and it will give you the answer,along with 50 other solutions so you need to find the right one. I am going over my notes and reviewing the stuff I l learned in class so I am hoping some lights go on and I can go back tommorow and do a better job.

Schwinn
June 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM
It will get easier, trust me. I used to coach new-hires, and I used to tell them the same thing. You'll feel like you don't know anything, and then one day, suddenly you realize you're answering all the questions without having to ask for help or putting the customer on hold. And part of it isn't even knowledge, it's confidence. Hang in there, you'll get it! You'll think it'll take forever until one day it'll be easy and you'll forget when it was tough!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 21st, 2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks Schwinn I am going at it again today, I went through my notes last night again, If today is even a tad better then yesterday I will be happy. Part of the problem is the customers talk so fast I can hardly figure out what they are saying, plus we have these cheapo headphones and I can hardly hear them, on top of that I am trying to remember all the things I have learned. We have two weeks of this learning enviorrnment then we go on the phones for real only one supervisor to about 30 people. I really hope I can do it, I do need this job we have so many bills, and I really want my puppy too..... Congratulations on your baby Grace I love the name too!!!

BMDLuver
June 21st, 2005, 06:33 AM
It will get better. My friend works for a call center. I remember her first week she was constantly in tears when she got home because she felt she was doing it all wrong. 8 months later she is a floor supervisor. The beginning is rough but ride it out and don't stress yourself too much. It will all fall in to place as Schwinn said. Go get em. :thumbs up

happycats
June 21st, 2005, 06:44 AM
Hang in there, it does get easier as time goes on! I worked in a "inbound" call centre for 2 years, I found cheat sheets (pinned to my baffles, or posted to my PC) helped alot, and someone in our call centre created a "virtual baffle" which was a great tool (most answers could be found there and we hd it on our desktop).

Kill em with kindness!! was my motto, I found if I was really friendly and nice to the clients, they had a very difficult time getting mad at me ;) I had one client actually tell me he was ready to "rip my face off" but because I sounded "so nice" he just couldn't do it :) .

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 21st, 2005, 05:30 PM
Well day two was a bit better, I am still confused about almost everything, but I am able to work through most of the problems and make the majority of the customers somewhat happy, I even attempted to sell, which is a requirement of the job, I didn't do a very good job at it, but at least I did it. I am going back in for another round tommorow so Bring It ON!!!!

glasslass
June 21st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Great attitude! :thumbs up You're gonna make it!

Schwinn
June 21st, 2005, 09:29 PM
See? You're going to be fine. Don't think about how much you don't think you know, think about how much better you are doing than your first day. You'll be great.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 22nd, 2005, 06:23 AM
Thanks for all your support. Here I go again day three. ;) :)

BMDLuver
June 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
lol, by day 6 you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 23rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
I am feeling frustrated again I am getting these calls about billing which I am having a hard time with. I have asked for coaching numerous times and the sups just keep saying they will get to me. The customers just keep getting irate and demanding a too speak to a supervisor and I end up on the call for half hour. Trying to explain charges which i don't quite understand myself. Two people just got up and quit on the spot yesterday. If it wasn't for the bills and dealing with that issue I would be okay, but it is frustrating that no one is helping me. They just walk by me and tell me to wrap up the call. I tell them to help me and they just keep walking.