Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

today is winter solstice

melanie
June 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM
yay today is winter solstice, the shortest day of the year (is it summer solstice for you??)..... and a very important day in the ancient pagan calander. today is your longest day of the year on the northern side, i have jsut read sometimes you call it yueltide yes??

"The (winter) solstice is the point where the Sun reaches the furthest north it will go in the sky, and then it turns back," said Martin Bush, a curator at the Melbourne Planetarium. "It was something that was noticed by ancient peoples . . . it's been a symbol of hope and our understanding of the cycles of the world'

so all you earthly or paganly inspired lucky ducks get out your gear and all your earthy feelins and enjoy the day.... bath yourself in the spirits of the green (or for us brown) lands and rejoice in mother natures wonder....yayayayay....and around here a very special day for nature lovin dogs too......i think a hike is in order just to make the most of the day...

tonight the moon will be at its highest so it will be huge and beautiful, check it out, a sight not to be missed..... :grouphug:

angie79
June 20th, 2005, 07:04 PM
and here in the norther hemisphere its the oposite today is the longest day of the year :ca:

Karin
June 20th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I think the earthquake that caused the tsunami whacked this big rock called earth off it's rock-er.
A balmy 95 degrees here with 100% humidity and Melanies talking about winter....lol! just kidding.

Still wishing you get plenty of rain over there. When we have a drought, it takes years of makeup rain to break even. I heard that my county may lift the burn ban that has been in place for 8 years, then I heard it may be extended...we've had enough rain to break even but there is still too much debris around....a torch waiting to happen.

Luba
June 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Does this mean dancing around naked? LOL

Karin
June 20th, 2005, 08:39 PM

I'll have whatever you're drinking tonight......

lezzpezz
June 20th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Uh-oh...sounds like another booze-laden emoticon-fest is about to break out!! :eek:

Luba
June 20th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm a tea freak .... maybe someone spiked my green tea
Dang elf.....I'll squish ya if I find ya! LOL

Can u imagine that though?

Safyre
June 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Only if the mood hits ya :)

Karin
June 20th, 2005, 11:39 PM
No elf's on my couch please. They make weird sounds when you sit and blame it on you.

No way ...

Karin
June 20th, 2005, 11:42 PM
*grammar police should slay me for the previous post*

Luba
June 21st, 2005, 12:11 AM
Yes, my dad has many elf's lol making lots of those noises :eek:

Cinnabear
June 21st, 2005, 01:41 AM
It's summer solstice here and it's not the longest day yet. In a couple of weeks it will be.

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 03:06 AM
I'm a solstice baby... I was just born on the wrong one. :p