Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy with constant cough

susankeithv
June 20th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I am new here. I have a new puppy (approx. 4 months old). He is a min pin./dach. mix. Soooooooo cute! I adopted him from a animal rescue shelter. They do not do vet checks; just spay/neuter and rabies shot. After I got him I took to get his first shots at the local humane society (because it is cheaper), and I was concerned he might have worms. I have not seen any worms, but he is always hacking or coughing, and eating very littls, plus you can see his ribs. He is very thin. I am taking him into my vet, but in the meantime what do you think might be causing this? Comments/suggestions??

Lucky Rescue
June 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM
He certainly could have an infestation of worms. He could also have kennel cough.

Take a fresh stool sample to the vet when you go and take him asap.

Melinda
June 21st, 2005, 11:41 AM
does sound like kennel cough to me also, especially with the not eating much part.

Angeleyes1437
June 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
Sounds like Kennel Cough to me as well. Does he cough up anything at any point? It's most likely kennel cough- in which your vet will put him on anitbiotics (to prevent pneumonia) and perhaps a surpressant to ease him while it goes away. For the worms (it's probably worms), he will probably just need dewormer... however make sure you look at the poop for worms- his frailty can be caused by something else.

That is very sweet that you adopted a pooch! Good Luck with everything! :D

Rottielover
June 23rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Definetly sounds like kennel cough. It is very common when you rescue from a shelter, and not a foster home. What I did with mine when she had it was give benylin DM for children. It is a cough suppressant. And kept her away from other animals. for 2 weeks. Highly contagious.
It will get alot better. Oh ya about the worms, have him checked, if nothing shows up, I would still deworm. Found out the hard way that they do not always show up first anaylsis