Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yet another "attack"

OdinAndAlan
June 20th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I just heard on the radio that Toronto Police have shot and killed a pit bull / shepherd cross. Apparently a 16 y.o. walked into a neighbor's home without waiting for them to put the dog in the basement. I think there was fault on both sides and again it's our 4 legged friends that suffer the consequences.

LL1
June 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I was told it was an unlocked screen door and when the kid went up the door the dog jumped against it and got out. It was at Shuter and Sumach apparently, the cops just happened to be there on a film set.

Copper'sMom
June 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM
It's too bad we don't know anything about the owners. When you have to put your dog in the basement because you have company................????

Also, wasn't there a lady who got bit in the leg on the weekend by a Pit? She was out walking her dog and the LOOSE Pit came up and bit her. Nothing to serious. Saw this on CP24 unless I imagined it!

Luvmypit
June 20th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I saw that too coppersmom.... It was a lady and she had minor injuries.

I was suprised they used the word minor.

Luba
June 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I knew there was a reason I kept the tv off today :(

Loki
June 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Here is City's Coverage:

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20050620-015/page.asp

It was the last thing police and the owner wanted. And it ended in the worst possible way.

Toronto Police were forced to pull their guns and kill a dog Monday afternoon, after it attacked a 16-year-old boy. The animal, a 12-year-old Terrier-German Shepherd mix named Shade, lunged at the teen when he entered his neighbour’s home near Shuter and Sackville Sts. in the downtown core.

The owner frantically tried to subdue the animal, but couldn’t grab it in time. When David Crow tried to leave the house, the dog caught up to him, getting a firm grip on his leg with its powerful jaws.

Pay duty cops working on a film set down the street rushed to the scene, and managed to pry the animal off the youth, now writhing in pain.

But when it appeared the animal was about to lunge at its target again, cops took the only step they could think of, and opened fire, killing the animal.

“It held him and he was screaming and then the cops ran over from the movie set and shot the dog four times through the window,” shudders witness Joseph Bucca.

Crow was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment for wounds to his leg. But this incident isn’t what it seems.

Crow walked into the home unannounced, despite knowing the animal was a trained attack dog and was generally kept in the basement.

“They know not to walk in my house and he did,” complains Sue Lynne Bennett,” Shade’s owner. “David stood there like an idiot saying "what" before coming in, but he just walked in and all hell broke loose.”

The dog had a reputation for being vicious, but up until Monday, had never attacked a human.

Crow’s distraught dad thinks the animal reacted on instinct. “He's always showed up no problems,” Bill Crow responds. “This time, the dog must have got a whiff of my dog and went after him.

It’s the first time a pit bull-type canine has attacked anyone since Attorney General Michael Bryant passed his controversial legislation banning the breed earlier this year.

Critics contend it proves how flawed the law is – under the rules, the dog would not have had to be muzzled, because the animal was in its own home.

“We warned somebody earlier today not to put their hands in our gate because he went to go pet him and we're like ‘don't do that,’” observes Bennett. “You don't know the dog. The dog will attack. And it's just unfortunate that letting a dog in and somebody walking in at the same time, the dog just lunged at our friend.”

The 16-year-old, now bearing a huge gash in his leg sewn up with stitches, admits the incident was his fault, and he should have known better.

It’s small comfort for the owner, who watched the family’s protector lose its life in front of her eyes.

June 20, 2005
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

doggy lover
June 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
I heard about this too, it makes me shudder to think what the poor dog went through. If it was a trained attack dog it should have not attacked until told to dog so though? i heard the dog had o history of aggression.

Copper'sMom
June 21st, 2005, 01:39 PM
Alex Pierson from CityTV did an awsome job reporting this story :thumbs up .
There was certainly much more info on how and why the attack occured. There really weren't any unanswered questions this time around. And of course Bill132 wouldn't have prevented this from happening.

I feel sorry for the dog though, having to spend most of it's time in the basement. Why would these people have wanted to train their dog as a guard/attack dog anyway?

Luckily, the kid wasn't badly injured, but it was a stupid move on his part knowing what the dog was like and he had been warned.

bluntman
June 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM
The boy addmited he made a mistake, and stood up for the dog, saying the dog was just protecting the house, but I don't agree, I totaly blame the owners in this case. There is no need for people to allow a dog to behave this way. If people feel they need a guard dog fine, properly train it so it does not attack for no reason. This dog was a loose cannon and the owners did nothing to prevent this happening. (warning neighbors to stay out does not cut it, in my book) I hope these people do not get another dog!

Faceless
June 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM
Pulse24 indicated that the dog was originally the property of the son, who is 25 or 26. The Dog was something like 13 years old. The son said that he trained the dog as an attack dog, because he was young and foolish (if the chronology holds up, the owner would have been about 12 or 13,) and he regretted it.

Therein lies the problem. Anyone can get a dog, especially from back-yard breeders and puppy-mills. If the government wants to do something proactive, make it more difficult to get a dog, of any breed. Don't license the dog, license the owner. Make the owner take a test showing that they are equipped to own and take care of the animal. Make obedience training mandatory. There's no way a 12 year old boy should be able to purchase a pit bull, Rottweiler, Jack Russell, Shih Tzu, or Portuguese water dog ...

GWPsRock
June 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
The animal, a 12-year-old Terrier-German Shepherd mix named Shade,,,

It’s the first time a pit bull-type canine has attacked anyone

Umm....anyone else confused by these two statements in the same story?

lezzpezz
June 21st, 2005, 03:00 PM
Uh-huh...I was confused by this same set of statements. Thought it was just me.....terrier/shepherd....there are many types of terriers out there, if I'm not mistaken....

GWPsRock
June 21st, 2005, 03:07 PM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread....but, I did some google searches for "Terrier-German Shepherd Mix" and these are some of the pictures that I got:

http://www.generalstorecafe.com/newsletter_archive/images/care_buddy2_small.jpg

http://www.foha.org/Dog%20Photos/dusty_shepx.jpg

http://www.gsrescue.org/biosother/Uta1.jpg

They sure don't look like pretty pitty's to me! (Although they are beautiful!)

Copper'sMom
June 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
When I heard it on CP24, I thought Alex was doing a favour not saying Pit Bull mix! :confused: I thought that's why she said terrier instead!

bluntman
June 23rd, 2005, 12:18 PM
We have to remember in this day and age, It's just a dog, untill it bites someone, and then It's a pit bull.

babyrocky1
June 23rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
I just saw the 'crawler across the cp24 screen last night, but it just said "mixed breed"

Dukieboy
June 23rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
51 Division news release.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/release.php?id=7897

How is it legal to "normally keep your dog in the basement"?