Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat suddenly pooping and peeing in house

prinsk
June 20th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Our male cat is 18 1/2 yrs old. He drinks a lot and over the last 4-5 days has suddenly began pooping and peeing in the living room. We have a 3 story house and have 3 kitty litters in the basement. He still goes outside to pee but we can't figure out why he has suddenly began doing this.

We're using febreeze to get the smell out but I'm not sure how to get him to go back downstairs. Is it possible that he has forgotten where the kitty litters are? Thanks.

Rita
June 20th, 2005, 09:33 AM
We have a 3 story house and have 3 kitty litters in the basement.
Maybe try putting a litter box on each level of the house ... being an older kitty maybe he's finding it difficult to handle stairs, or maybe he just can't make it to the box on time.

Beaglemom
June 20th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I agree that having a litter box on every level or at least on the level that he spends most of his time, or is peeing and pooping might help. Have you recently changed his litter?

First I would have a vet examine him and make sure that he is not suffering from UTI. I would rule out medical conditions first. It is always better to be safe than sorry. It concerns me that he is drinking more and has suddenly changed his litter box habits.

prinsk
June 20th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Since we've had him, he's done this before. He seems to only do it at night time though. He is failing as the vet put it but is not in any pain and is still eating well. The vet suggested making sure that he has access to water and he does. They did a blood and urine test when we took him last month (and who knew that it would cost so much!) The problem is that the living room is very large and opens into the dining room. I'm not sure where we would put the kitty litter. Thanks for all your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

badger
June 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Maybe he has a touch of dementia, at 18.5 he's allowed! You may have to accomodate him by putting a litter box in the living room, maybe one of those covered ones, so he has a bit of privacy.

Lucky Rescue
June 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
At 18.5, he probably wont' be around much longer, so you wont' have to have the litterboxes in inconvenient places for long.

It's possible that he sometimes forgets where the litterboxes are, or doesn't want to navigate all the way down there.

prinsk
June 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM
LuckyRescue, that's what we are figuring too. He's a bit blind and mostly deaf and grumpy :-) Which he's completly entitled to! We're going to put some paper down on the carpet and move the litter upstairs at night since that's when he goes. It's funny, we have a female who is the same age and she is perfectly fine. Cats! Gotta love 'em.

CyberKitten
June 20th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I am just reading this thread and thinking "aww, that poor little guy!" Cherish him while you have him - you can put paper and easily accesible litter boxes around.