Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is anyone watching the F1 "race"

Writing4Fun
June 19th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I can't believe what's going on today!! :eek: And the worst part about it, is hubby isn't home to freak out with me! Hey, I'm one of the biggest Ferrari fans around (despite the season they're having), but even I don't want this kind of win... :(

ETA: I just heard that some fans are throwing debris onto the track in their anger. That's just not right. There still are 6 cars out there, 6 drivers trying their best, and the fans are now putting their lives at risk. Not cool, folks! :mad:

lilith_rizel
June 19th, 2005, 01:23 PM
K, I take it this is like the indy 500 type deal. Anyways, if I was watching it, I would porbably be freaking out too, and worried sick about the drivers' saftey with people thoughing crap at them. Race car driving is a very dangerous sport!!! And they need all their concentration...... Didn't that Ernheart (sp) guy die from crashing a few years back???

Writing4Fun
June 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM
The Formula 1 in the US is held at the Indy Speedway.

In a nutshell, there are two tire manufacturers - Bridgeston and Michelin. The F1 governing body has decided (for whatever reason, I haven't caught that part yet) that the track conditions make it unsafe for the cars running on Michelin tires to race today. So, there are only 6 cars out there on Bridgestone tires, running a farce of a race. Since one of those teams is Ferrari, who haven't been doing that great this season, but they're still loads better than the remaining teams, so they're kinda walking away with the race.

The crowd has stopped throwing things, I think, so that's good news. They're still very mad, and demanding their money back. I don't blame them. That's a lot of money to dish out for a race only to have it turn out this way.

But I can tell you that the drivers are just as ticked as the fans, if not more so, even the drivers who are currently racing. The top 8 finishing drivers and teams get points according to their finish, and the drivers and teams with the most points at the end of the season, win. Most of the teams who are currently leading in points have been pulled from this race, so this is going to wreak havoc on the driver/team standings. This is not going to be a good win for Ferrari, and they're not going to be happy with it. :(

Writing4Fun
June 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Ferrari finished 1 & 2. There's a surprise! :rolleyes:

Glad to say that a lof of fans did stick around and are cheering the winners as usual. Good sports. :thumbs up

Of course, there are always a few - some are boo'ing and others are throwing beer cans. Class acts. :rolleyes:

melanie
June 19th, 2005, 05:07 PM
i cant get it on tv over here, you can only get the highlights. im a ferarri/ michel shumacker fan for sure, go the aussies....

but V8 supercars is much bigger here so that is what you mainly get, but dont get me wrong i love the supercars......

jjgeonerd
June 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM
The Formula 1 in the US is held at the Indy Speedway.

In a nutshell, there are two tire manufacturers - Bridgeston and Michelin. The F1 governing body has decided (for whatever reason, I haven't caught that part yet) that the track conditions make it unsafe for the cars running on Michelin tires to race today. So, there are only 6 cars out there on Bridgestone tires, running a farce of a race. Since one of those teams is Ferrari, who haven't been doing that great this season, but they're still loads better than the remaining teams, so they're kinda walking away with the race.

I thought Michelin told the drivers that their tires weren't safe...like a bad batch type problem. The F1 governing body wouldn't allow the teams running those tires to bring in a new set prior to the race (but after qualifying) since changing tire compounds is illegal after qualifying has begun. I heard that this all stemmed form a couple tire failures during qualifying which Michelin investigated.

Sad that they threw stuff on the track. I would be upset if I spent the time and money to see a joke of a race, but I wouldn't throw stuff on the track...I'd just ask for a refund.

Oh well, MotoGP and superbike recing is better anyways...cars are boring after watching those! :D

Safyre
June 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM
K, I take it this is like the indy 500 type deal. Anyways, if I was watching it, I would porbably be freaking out too, and worried sick about the drivers' saftey with people thoughing crap at them. Race car driving is a very dangerous sport!!! And they need all their concentration...... Didn't that Ernheart (sp) guy die from crashing a few years back???

Earnhardt did die by crashing into a wall, without going into a lot of detail about the crash, his neck got pulled forward/backward HARD and pulled his brain stem loose.
At that time, the HANS device was an option for drivers to use. Earnhardt didn't like the device, believing that he had his car set up perfectly for safety, and he has been quoted to say 'I have hit the wall many times and havn't pulled my brain stem loose'. Well, he died with that attitude.
Within 6 months of his crash, the HANS dvice became compulsory, every driver needs to wear it. Since then, no one has died from pulling their brain stem loose. HANS is Head and Neck ... something. Sorry, can't remember the acronym.

melanie
June 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM
HANS has jsut become compulsary here too, great idea. although i have heard drovers say its a bit hard to get used to it is a device worth using.......

a friend of mine drives stock cars, she says that you cannot even move your neck when in hans, she swears by it.........

Schwinn
June 20th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I've tried getting into F1/CART racing, but it always seems like usually, the finish is close to the position they started on the pole in any of the road races. I'm a huge rally fan (I get to build my car as soon as I get on the police force and make the big bucks!), and lately I've been getting into stock car racing.

That being said, I'll have to check out Sports Centre to see what happened. Was it the governing board that pulled the cars, or Michelin who said they shouldn't race? Seems to me the big conflict would be in the rule regarding changing tires, which I think I can understand. It would be an interesting predictament though.

Schwinn
June 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Woops! Apparently that was yesterday. Have to see if I can find it on the web...