Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Word of the day! Please share

mrjohndoe
June 18th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just learned a few ASL (American Sign Language) words and thought I'd share them. Hopefully others will post other languages,etc. I like learning new things! :D

Cat: The thumbs and index fingers of both hands stroke an imaginary pair of whiskers at either side of the face.

Kitten: The signer pretends to craddle (rock) a baby, and then tugs on imaginary cat whiskers with the thumb and index finger of one hand.

Dog: The right hand pats the right knee, and then the fingers are snapped.

Puppy: The signs BABY and DOG are combined. (Found this here: http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/)

Find more here:
http://www.masterstech-home.com/ASLDict.html

Princesss04
June 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I love Sign Language and you are right there are more people that need to learn it. I have taken 6 years of Sign Language and love that I am able to talk with the deaf. They are the same as us only they can not talk with us. I wish there was more people that wanted to learn the language. I would love to see more people reach out to the deaf people. :D

Safyre
June 18th, 2005, 10:28 PM
The President at my Co-op is deaf, and I am sad that i never learned sign language. He does not read lips, has been deaf since birth, so it makes it very had to communicate with him unless his wife is there.

lilith_rizel
June 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM
That is something hubby and I should really learn, because I have a 95% chance of being deaf by the time I am 50. I was diagnosed with some sort of disease where hte bones in my ear deterioates (sp). My grandmother had it too, only mine is worse. I am approx. 1/2 heaf in my left ear, and my right one is going too. Hubby knows about it, and says that we don't need sign language to communicate, but it would be so much easier if we did learn. I am just ahppy that my sister knows it, so she will be able to help me learn when I need to..... I think I am going to start teaching Judith it. I have a few sheets that have basic words, that I have been working on.....