Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hives

Eleni
June 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM
im either having an allergy or stress hives, bad ones all over my legs

I cant take antihistamines, is there anything else I can do to get rid of the hives??

or just wait it out??

im going nuts , im 99.9 % sure they are stress related

Eleni

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Can you take a shower? Is it a skin allergy? What about antihistimine creams?

Karin
June 17th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I have had a few sudden outbreaks of hives since my allergic reaction to poison ivy 12 years ago and I take a one time dose of 5 mg prednisone and is cleared up within 24 hours.

I do hate steroids for what they have done to Ciara but in the real world they are a great drug if used wisely and not abused.
What ever you do, ask your doctor first.

twinmommy
June 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM
HIVES
Natural Cures For Hives - More Than Home Remedies
For hives, rinse the skin with cool water, and massage Tea Tree Essential Oil into affected area three times daily.

A ten-minute soak in a lukewarm Oatmeal Bath can help relieve itching. Rubbing an ice cube for a few minutes will constrict the blood vessel, prevent further blood leakage, and shrink the hive. Stay cool and wear loose clothing, including shoes.

Do not eat tomatoes, shellfish, strawberries, or citrus fruits while you have hives.

Parsley inhibits histamine and can be blended into carrot juice to taste better. Nettle taken in capsules contains enough histamine to help and not enough histamine to harm, while containing other substances that help heal hives. Take this three times a day. Jewelweed can stop itching instantly when applied topically.

Wash the skin several times a day with vinegar water: 1/4 quart Natural Apple Cider Vinegar to two quarts water.

Vitamin C and Vitamin B-12 will help ease hives from allergic symptoms and prevent recurrences. Beta Carotene is particularly effective for hives caused by the sun.

Take Evening Primrose Oil (two 500 mg capsules three times daily).

xxxxxxx

I also read good things about quercetin and bromelain, but not sure on the dosage, or the safety with BF ;) . Make sure that you never take any vitamins after lunchtime--sometimes keeps baby up I noticed. I know that if a hive leaves a bruise or doesn't go away in 24 hours that you should maybe have your thyroid checked.

And hives too close to your eyes or in your mouth warrants an ER visit.
Glad that doesn't seem to be you... :thumbs up

Crazy Hippie
June 17th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Do you notice anything that makes the hives worsen/go away? There are so many things you can react to...me for instance, since I was 11 or so, I get hives from the cold. Sounds crazy yes. It took me a week of missing school to figure out that every time I got really warm they went away, but I didn't make the connection at first...I'd think they went away for some other reason.

I have to take an antihistamine daily so not too sure what else to suggest for them, other than trying to determine the cause (could it be the sun? new laundry soap/fabric softener? new food? etc.) The strangest things can cause them, and it can happen at any age!

Crazy Hippie
June 18th, 2005, 12:00 AM
oh ya, and in addition to the foods twinmommy mentioned, eggs and nuts/peanuts are other serious allergens!

Eleni
June 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM
thanks twinmommy thats exactly what i was hoping to get natural remedies.

ive actually had the hives for 3 days now, they arent worse but they are still just as bad as when i noticed them 3 days ago.

I dont beleive i ate anything new so im not really sure where they came from I am assuming stress but I dunno in 3 days I figure i relaxed

Eleni

raingirl
June 18th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Eleni, could you be having an allergic reaction to the tylenol 3's that you were taking before? I know people who have taken certain drugs many times for years and years, and then all of the sudden get an allergic reaction. I knew a guy in highschool who had had penicillin TONS of times, and at 18, he developed a serious allergic reaction to it.

I am allergic to penicillin (I can never spell that!) and sulpha drugs. The first time I had any antibiotic in my entire life was when I was 14, and it was penicilin. I broke out in hives on my knees first. Even though the allergic reaction was caught fast, I still got hives upon hives for weeks after. Same thing happened with a sulpha based drug, but not until the third time I had it I think. Even if you had tylenol 3 before, you could develope an allergic reaction to codeine. I know lots of people who are allergic to it.

Hives suck though. I found the only thing that helped me was a cool bath and calamine lotion.

Eleni
June 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
i dunno i havent taken any of those in over a week, I only took them for 2 days till the pennicillin kicked in

but im heading to the doctor tomorrow, since they are no better and its been 4 days now

Eleni