Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going to Meet Breeder tommorow

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 17th, 2005, 06:14 PM
We are going to meet the English Cocker Spaniel Breeder tommorow. We are actually very excited as we have inquired and asked a lot of questions about breeders around BC, and we are actually most impressed with the one that is closest. We have heard lots of good things about her from other sources and just from talking to her and seeing her website. Both me and my husband get a good vibe from her. Her pups will be ready to go in September which would actually be a good time. As school will be starting up and the pup can be put back into our routine, part of which would be walking the kids and the pup to school and back twice a day. Its about a 5 minute walk each way. Not very long but I believe a young pup should get too much excercise. It will also give us a few months to prepare our house and yard for the pup and get rid of any thing that can harm the pup, and perhaps set up the pups home.

As we have never done this before, I am not sure what the protocal is. Is the first meeting just a get to know you, should we ask for certificates at the first meeting. What will she be looking for in us? I am excited and scared at the same time.

doggy lover
June 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I remeber in a post before someone had a list of questions for you to ask the breeder, I sure someone will help you out. Also bring your whole family, kids and hubby, answer their questions honestly as the next time you could change your answer and get caught lying about something. I sure that they will be impressed with your enthueism.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 17th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Yes we are all going, the kids are excited too, I hope they don't get too excited!!???

BMDLuver
June 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
It's very exciting to be meeting the potential parents of your new addition! If it were myself, I think I would just enjoy the visit, meet the parents and keep it social on the first meeting. I would discuss with the breeder why she has chosen to breed these two particuliar dogs, what has their career been like, what you can expect temperament wise and if it would be possible to meet some of their previous offspring that are currently in other families. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but remember that you will maintain contact with this lady if it "feels right" and that there is plenty of time to ask more questions, etc... Enjoy yourself!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 19th, 2005, 08:32 AM
The visit went well, we were a bit nervous as we are really hoping she likes us. She has 4 or 5 cockers. All the dogs are raised and bred inside her house. The kids were a bit over whelmed at first with all the dogs, but settled in nicely and both the kids played fetch with the dogs. All of them were very sweet.The parents are show champions, and have great disposition. The mom plopped her self down on my lap, rolled over and started to purr, I didn't know English Cockers did that!! She said all the pups for the next litter were spoken for, but she is having another one of her dog bred in a few months. Three of her pups from the next litter are reserved for show dogs. She said if for some reason someone could not take a pup from this litter we could perhaps get one. We just basically spent time with the dogs, talked about them in general and asked questions. My son asked when the puppies were going to hatch? She says the best thing do to is to keep in touch with her over the next few month so we will definately be doing that. I asked if we could still see the pups even though we may not get one from this litter. She said that was fine so we will be going for a visit again when they are ready for viewing.

april21h1
June 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I am glad to hear your visit went well. I wish you luck on getting the puppy you want. I would love to see pictures of the puppies.

doggy lover
June 20th, 2005, 06:58 PM
It sounds funny rezerving a puppy before it is even born, we got first choice of our dog as we had asked for a puppy when she had a litter and we went to see Tucker when he was only a week old and put a down payment on him as he is what we wanted, there was only 2 red pups in the litter of 9 and he had beautiful markings the other was mostly white. When I seen him I fell in love with him instantly, even the breeder said he was the most beautiful pup she has had. They grow so fast he is now 13 months old.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 22nd, 2005, 06:47 AM
I guess this one breeder doesn't take down payments. I just need a bit of advice here what everyone else do in this situation.

We have been offered a black pup from an excellent breeder. Black is not our first choice of colour but we are wondering if we should take it in case the other potential breedings do not turn out for us.

Here are our other options all of these breeders are breeding orange and blue roans which is the colour that we prefer.

1) Wait for the September Litter from the breeder that we spoke to, that we are not on the list for unless for some reason they are unable to take a puppy

2)Keep in contact with her and wait for her to breed her next litter (same sire different Bitch. She said she would be doing this in a few months.

3)There is now a breeder in Calgary that has just done a breeding with one of her dogs co-owned by the breeder that I mentioned in the beginning with the black pup. We have been reccommended to her from that breeder, and we are now on the list for the next litter, providing that the bitch actually becomes pregnant.

Should we take the black one (second color choice) or should we wait to see if one of the other options work out for us. Our first choice would be a blue roan or an orange roan. Should we take a chance and hope that one of these options work out for us or go for the black pup. Hmmm not sure what to do here.

BMDLuver
June 22nd, 2005, 06:50 AM
Both me and my husband get a good vibe from her. Her pups will be ready to go in September which would actually be a good time. As school will be starting up and the pup can be put back into our routine, part of which would be walking the kids and the pup to school and back twice a day. Its about a 5 minute walk each way. Not very long but I believe a young pup should get too much excercise. It will also give us a few months to prepare our house and yard for the pup and get rid of any thing that can harm the pup, and perhaps set up the pups home.

This is from your first post on the subject. I think you may already have answered for yourself but just don't know it. :)

mona_b
June 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Just a question for you.

You say the parents are Champions,what about the rest of the Pedigree?I mean grandparents,great grandparents,great great granparents and even great great great grandparents?Have you asked the breeder about them.Have you seen the pedigrees for them?To me this is of importance.Also,what contracts does she have?Does she have a s/n contract?Does she have a non-breeding contract for those who want a show pup?I know you don't want a show pup,but just curious as to if she has one.What heath and genetic testing was done on her dogs?These are some questions you definately need to ask a breeder.

With my breeder,and many other reputable breeders that I know,they have a waiting list.This is done before breeding takes place.

With me,it took me quite some time to find my breeder.I went to many dog shows,and talked to all the GSD breeders there untill I found the one I wanted.I asked a ton of questions.I did see her dogs in action.I went and checked her kennels out.She showed me the pedigrees of her Sire and Dam.Which went as far back as 5 generation.She had all their Show Champion and Titled pics of them.I put a down payment on my pup.I got to go and visit him from the time he was born till the time he came home to me.I also was put on a neuter contract.If I didn't,I would have been sued $5000.My dog was part of the family for 13 years.I did return to her and got my 2 from her.And again I was put on a neuter contract.

I would definately check out as many breeders as you can before you settle with one.I know that's what I did........ :)

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 12:22 PM
This is from your first post on the subject. I think you may already have answered for yourself but just don't know it. :)
Yeah, I've noticed that researchbulls doesn't realize that her gut is answering all her questions as she goes along... :D After you've researched everything and have an idea of what you need to do, follow your gut for the rest. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 22nd, 2005, 08:31 PM
original post by Mona B I managed to do quotes within quotes but i hope I answered some of your questions.

You say the parents are Champions,what about the rest of the Pedigree?i actually havent asked that but I will it does say the pedigree lines on the website and its just names. I wasn't sure at which point to ask for the pedigree and papers for the dogs parents. We did speak to one breeder that is terminally ill all of her dogs have gone to this breeder. I am pretty sure the dogs mom that is having the pups is also a champion.

I mean grandparents,great grandparents,great great granparents and even great great great grandparents?Have you asked the breeder about them.Have you seen the pedigrees for them?

Yes this is important and I will ask at our next visit.
To me this is of importance.Also,what contracts does she have?Does she have a s/n contract
We told her we would spay the dog she reccommended at one year I thought it should be sooner
?Does she have a non-breeding contract for those who want a show pup?
Yes you cannot breed for two years but we arent ever going to breed. SHe also has a hip guarantee where you exray the dog at two years and if there is a problem you can return the dog. She says she has not ever had a dog returned to her.

I know you don't want a show pup,but just curious as to if she has one.What heath and genetic testing was done on her dogs?These are some questions you definately need to ask a breeder.

I am not sure about health and genetic testing. I guess I need to ask this as well. I have been told that dad is a show dog from Ireland and mom is originally from Nanamio. I dont know if two show dogs will produce all show dogs or how you even tell

Her dogs are tested for hips and eyes and the reports say they are good. i have heard from an outside source that her dogs check out good in this respect as well.

we are planning another visit so these will be some of the questions we have for her.

The other breeder on Vancouver Island seems to be quite co-operative we told her of our desire for a roan colored pup and the concerns we had of the solids having temperment problems, although her lineage seems to be quite good as well she did understand our concern and didn't want us to just settle.
She has actually referred us to a woman in Calgary that she is doing a co-breeding with. A blue roan to an orange roan. The breeding as just taken place and we are apparently on the list, but I don't know where on the list, or if the breeding took, or how many puppies they will have. I like the breeder on the Island. Right now I am going by reputation and word of mouth. Both of the breeders I have been in contact with have an excellent reputation in the ECS community amoungst rescuers and breeders alike. We are actually trying to talk to as many resources as we can as they seem to know info about the breeders that we might not normally pick up on.

Rottielover
June 23rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
hey there and good luck. when you go and meet the breeder. see all documention, such as the OFA or OVC papers, see if cardiac was done, or eyes..... What age will she be letting the puppies go, as well as will she be picking for you, or helping you pick?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 23rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
I know its at least 8weeks, I am hoping even ten. I definately do not want a pup younger then 8 weeks. The breeder in Calgary is being very co-operative with us right now. She has asked us for imformation about ourselves and we have told her everything about us, including past pets and experience with dogs in general. As it is a bit of a distance we arent able to travel back and forth but are now corresponding by email. I feel like we are in a tough situation as there is a slight chance we could get one from the breeder in the Okanagan and then we could get one from the breeder in Calgary providing her dog has four puppies as I believe three are spoken for already. At the moment these two seem like the best possibility we still need to view certificates of course. I don't want the breeders to feel like we have wasted their time as we can only get one dog so in the end we need to choose one. All the breeders we have been in contact with have been very helpful. I hope I am making sense it has been a long day.