Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When are hairballs serious?

MrsNorris151
June 17th, 2005, 01:13 PM
The night before last, my one year old cat woke me up while sounding like she was having an asthma attack. I knew it was a hairball attack and just petter her softly. She never spit anything up. Then yesterday while I was out, I came home to vomit on the floor and what looked like a big hairball in it. So I gave her some hairball remedy and everything went fine yesterday. While I was cooking breakfast this morning I ran into another pile of vomit. No hairball but only the hairball remedy treat that I had just given her. My mom says it is normal for cats to vomit whith hariballs but I am just concerned. She does have normal bowl movements and urinates fine and I havn't noticed any irregular activity from her. What do you reccommend?

kitkitkitty
June 17th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I just went through the same thing with are littlest kitty. When i spoke with the vet he thought she may have just irritated her tummy with all the vomiting. His reccomendation was to give her just water for 3 or 4 hours then give here small amounts of chicken and turkey purred baby food and do that for a few days then slowly start her back on her regular food. Just watch which ones you get check the ingrediants and make sure it is only meat or meat/broth. Caution its tough to get them back on regular food she loved the baby food.

kitkitkitty :pawprint:

levimh
June 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM
My cat throws up hairballs all the time. Well, I shouldn't say all the time, but about once every 3 or 4 months and although I brush her, she still gets them. I figured it was normal. She grooms herself often and when she does throw up, it's usually a hairball and then a little liquid afterwards.

chico2
June 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Yes,I would say it's pretty normal,as long as it does not happen all the time...my cats do it on occasion,maybe twice a month,if that..
I brush them all,about every 2 days,especially now..they are shedding like crazy :evil: