Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Alpha Female and new stray female

fltanz
June 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Please help...
I have a 7 yr old, 110 lbs Alpha Female I have had since she fit in my small palm. 2 stray males, 1 have had for 6 yrs very non-agressive age unknown, and 1 non-agressive I've had for about 4-5 months age unknown but is at least a year or 2 (both non-nutered). A new female stray that I've had about 2 months she is non-agressive and has just been fixed for about 3 wks now, age unknown but probably a year or so.
The Alpha will be OK with her for days at the time then out of the blue will jump on her then they all want to fight. She's to big for me to effectively "handle" I usually have to sit on her (no she would'nt bite me).. but she also won't listen. When I finally get them seperated I will put her in a bedroom by herself for a while. I'm from a very small town, there is no obedience training available, anyone have any suggestions. :pawprint:

BMDLuver
June 17th, 2005, 12:58 PM
ummm, if I have this correct, the only dog in your home that is presently altered is the newest arrival?

fltanz
June 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I meant to put in that the big girl is also fixed and has been since a puppy

BMDLuver
June 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM
No problem, was just not sure what was what. :) Did the fights only start when the new female arrived or as she always fought with the males as well?

fltanz
June 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Only occasionally (very rarely), almost like just having a bad day. In the 6 yrs we're talking maybe once every six months or so...

BMDLuver
June 17th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I'm no expert but here's what I think is the reason....you have brought another female into the house and she feels the males are hers. She trying to oust the other female. Think of it as the stallion alone in a herd of mares, he protects his gals from any other stallion. Of course, I could be way off base on this but it seems the likely reason. As to how to fix it, you may never be able to. It might just be a matter of them eventually coming to terms with each other. They are a pack and the new pack member is not being welcome by your female. Perhaps Tenderfoot will have some suggestions. Sorry not much help.

Lucky Rescue
June 17th, 2005, 02:40 PM
The worst and most deadly fights are often between two spayed bitches. IF your 110 lb dog is truly Alpha, you must reinforce it by giving her everything first - food, attention, toys etc. Do not feed or give treats to these two dogs together.

I advise you to keep them apart, especially when no one is home.

fltanz
June 17th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Thank you all!

I had no idea about spayed bitches fighting. I will definately take your advice on her 1st with the feeding, attention etc. However I'll just have to hope while I'm not home as these are "free range" animals w/a doggie door to the house... (small town live in the woods next to family bla bla) :fingerscr