Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who do i ask to get a real answer?

Copper'sMom
June 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I'm still wondering whether or not I have to muzzle my dogs when we are at work when the ban comes into effect. I don't know who to call to ask this question. I don't want to start calling around and giving details because then I might be targeted later on.

It's our buisness which is private property, but yet open to the public!

Melinda
June 17th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I imagine if you do an online search they may have a question/answer portion, or call your vet, he'll be sent all papers on the ban.

Copper'sMom
June 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Been there, done that! There was a post with a link to all the rules regarding the new ban. It says nothing about my situation. We pay rent here, the landlord has no problems with my dogs being here, it is private property but yet people come and go all day long.

We've only had 2 customers afraid of my dog - but they were afraid of dogs in general, which I don't blame them because they had been bit before. I'm the same way, I don't necessarily trust other people's dogs because I've been bit too.

Dukieboy
June 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I don't have the answer to that but I would assume that if its private property no muzzle is required. It would be up to your customers to decide if they want to deal with you.

What is ironic about this muzzle thing is that more people will be afraid of the dogs with the muzzle on because it makes them appear dangerous. Muzzles are pretty ugly.

Dukieboy
June 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I'm still wondering whether or not I have to muzzle my dogs when we are at work when the ban comes into effect. I don't know who to call to ask this question. I don't want to start calling around and giving details because then I might be targeted later on.

It's our buisness which is private property, but yet open to the public!

I think the municpal bylaws would speak to this issue, for instance you can't permit dogs in restaurants or food retail places.

Luba
June 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Call Mr :party: office or send an email asking them directly.

I think that everyone confused about the bill should, get it right from the horses mouth that way you have their 'direct' answer. Having it in writing, per email may even be better!!

Copper'sMom
June 17th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Call Mr :party: office or send an email asking them directly.

I think that everyone confused about the bill should, get it right from the horses mouth that way you have their 'direct' answer. Having it in writing, per email may even be better!!

Ya, you know what he'll probably tell me? Your dog is banned, banned banned, BANNED!! :mad: Everytime I hear that man on tv- this is all i can remember him announcing. :mad:

I think I'll send him an email..............I wonder if I'll get a reply. If i do, it'll probably be mumbo jumbo and beating around the bush type of answer.

bluntman
June 17th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I also bring both my dogs to work as well, and I will not be putting a muzzel Zena at work, a bussiness is open to the public, but is not conciderd a public place. People are free to gather in a public place, but not a place of bussiness. So I think our dogs are safe at work, but if Bryant finds out about this loop hole I'm sure he will stop at nothing to close it.

Copper'sMom
June 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM
but if Bryant finds out about this loop hole I'm sure he will stop at nothing to close it.

This is what I'm afraid of! The way that the different provinces or municiplities are handling their own BSL laws right now really scares me(ex: Jen Steele in K-W and Guysburough, NS)!

Copper'sMom
June 17th, 2005, 03:30 PM
If i were to email bryant, should i be concerned about the fact that they will be able to find my location by my isp address?

Dukieboy
June 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't email him if I were you. He doesn't care about you or your dog. Never has, never will. Ask a lawyer or something. Call the municipality. Don't give him any of the attention he seems to crave. IMHO

babyrocky1
June 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM
If i were to email bryant, should i be concerned about the fact that they will be able to find my location by my isp address?
I hope not Coppers Mom, Ive called his constituancy office and left my name AND address, also they called me Back first thing in the a.m. cause I was so Ped off when I left them the message I think I freaked them out. They probably have me on some government list of SUBVERSIVES or something LOL . I just don't think it will do you any good, he doesn't know or care what happens as far as enactment of the leg. thats all left for the municipalities to sort out. :confused: Im wondering something similar about my building, what if Im on the front or back lawn of our co-op, which legally would be like a condo, since we collectively own the building, is that not private property? Cause I dont intend to muzzle him on our property, but it is not fenced. :confused:

Copper'sMom
June 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM
I've been thinking, worst case scenario all that could happen is they give me a warning.............right? No one will come in and take my dogs(i won't let them!!) Yes, maybe I should just check with the municiaplity without giving any specific details.

LL1
June 19th, 2005, 08:03 PM
1. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), an owner of a restricted pit bull shall ensure that the pit bull is at all times equipped with a muzzle and secured by a leash in accordance with subsection (5). O. Reg. 157/05, s. 1 (1).

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply when a pit bull is within enclosed property occupied by the owner of the pit bull. O. Reg. 157/05, s. 1 (2).

(3) When a pit bull is within enclosed property occupied by a person who consents to the pit bull being off leash or off muzzle, subsection (1) does not apply to the extent of that consent. O. Reg. 157/05, s. 1 (3).

(4) For the purposes of subsections (2) and (3), a pit bull is within enclosed property when the property is enclosed in a way that can be relied on to prevent the pit bull from breaking out of the property. O. Reg. 157/05, s. 1 (4).

Spurby
June 19th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Here is a link that answers some of the questions many have with regards to this ban and restrictions, i am sure it was posted before, but it can't hurt to read it again!

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_10

Copper'sMom
June 20th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks LL1 and Spurby! I now have that site bookmarked.