Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats "helping" to clean the litterbox

april21h1
June 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I was cleaning the litterbox this morning. I pile all the cleaned litter on one side of the box as I clean it. Well Honey jumped in the litter box and started leveling all the litter I had piled, I was only half done. She digs around in it for a couple of minutes, then leaves me to clean it all again. UGH :rolleyes:

Sometimes I will be half done and both of them decide that they have to use the bathroom. So I have to wait till they are done before I have to reclean it all. Or they will wait until I have finished and then go and use it. Fu usually will wait until it is cleaned, then have a nasty smelling :yuck: #2.

I was wondering if any other cat owners have any of these fun litterbox stories?

Eleni
June 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
my oldest cat growls at us when we clean her litter, shes unusually possessive about HER box, we ahve a separate box for the other 2 cats.

when we do the other box they wait for us to pour the fresh litter in and they race to see who is the first one who gets to use it.

sometimes if the looser is unimpressed they will squabble over it but usually the winner of the race struts her stuff awhile and takes her time using the litter.

my cats can be pretty competative with one another

I should take a pic of the 2 of them standing behind my husband cleaning the litter one day, they both assume the pounce position waiting for him to walk away so they can race

hehe

Eleni

Lissa
June 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
When I clean Minnow's box, she will usualy supervise for a minute, decide I'm boring and leave!

She makes no attempt to cover-up her poops so I think she is just as happy for me to clean it! But she loves to poop in that garden and then cover it up!

jessi76
June 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM
my little one, lulu, does the same thing - she'll come "help" me, then I shoo her out, and she waits at the laundry room door, to just come in and crap when it's all clean. she'll also cover up her "business" for about 20 minutes, putting ALL the litter in the box on top of what she just did. both my cats have their own box, but lulu decides to claim both.

Mockingcat
June 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Loki's favorite trick was to wait until I turned my back to finish up the box and then hop into the bucket of litter and use the bathroom there. :rolleyes:

Copper'sMom
June 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
My one cat, George, would come and use the litte box while I'm cleaning it! :eek: ANd I have one cat that doesn't cover her poo. :yuck: She also likes to dig forever in the box before she pees and afterwards so that the litter goes out of the box! She's an old girl, so she has a lower litter box. She won't go in the hooded ones!

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have 3 kitties at the moment - two foster sphinbes and my YY. They each have their own box and they each have individual habits. Chelsea I think is digging to China and YY always manages to leave some litter outside the box tho she is generally scrupulously neat! Casey just does her bix and looks at the other two as if to say "c'mon, get ocver it already". They all do like to inspect their boxes tho and to supervise the cleaning, lol

happycats
June 17th, 2005, 11:54 AM
When Sega was a kitten he would bury "things" in the litterbox :eek: .
One day my hubby called me at work and said he couldn't pick me up because he couldn't find the car keys, I took the bus home, and while scooping the litter that evening, There the were, buried in the litter box :p :yuck: !!!

He had a love for "shiny" things, and some of the other things he buried were: a watch, necklace, engagement ring, lots of change (money) :rolleyes: :)

WhKnight
June 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I had to respond to this thread, because it made me laugh...particular the cat burying car keys and other shiny things. Perhaps the kitty is part raccoon? ;)

Maya is very bad about burying her poop. Chaco will scratch and scratch and scratch...the litter, the side of the box, the side of the hood...she will spend more time scratching and attempting to "bury" than she does actually going to the bathroom.

Linda

Princesss04
June 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
When I clean the kittens litter, in a few minutes here comes the kittens and they will have to do both numbers in it and I will have to clean it again. I am glad to hear that you have problems with this as well I just thought I had wicked cats! LOL :evil: :D

mrjohndoe
June 18th, 2005, 09:13 PM
LOL. Mine sit in wait and as soon as I'm done they each are in one! :)

As I can't smell (sometimes a blessing) and apparently lax in my regular cleanings, my little Clio let's me know when it's due for a cleaning by poping in and out of the hallway looking at me and mewwing. She's done this for years and it still gives me a chuckle.

Sporticus takes somewhat of a tantrum and starts digging loudly.

Sneaky2006
June 19th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Maya is very bad about burying her poop. Chaco will scratch and scratch and scratch...the litter, the side of the box, the side of the hood...she will spend more time scratching and attempting to "bury" than she does actually going to the bathroom.I have 2 cats like this. Snook will scratch the box, top and side, then the wall, then the carpet underneath the box, then the box again. Sox will do all of that PLUS scratch in the litter like mad, like she lost something and is frantically trying to get it.
And all 4 of them will sit and watch till the litter is clean then politely take turns smelling it up again.

mrjohndoe
June 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Snook will scratch the box, top and side, then the wall, then the carpet underneath the box, then the box again.

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif

Clio does that too! Except for underneath the box as she's a little too small.

Here's a few pics I use to use for my recycle bin icons.

JDG
June 19th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Marty and Minou like to watch me clean their boxes. . . once I'm done, there in there to inspect my work - if its satifactory, they show their appreciation by soiling it all over again. I now wait until the 'inspection' is over before I throw away all the dirty litter.

JessXx
June 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
hehe!
Pepsi is ALWAYS doing that 'inspecting my work'
lol! Once I'm done she'll make it right, she'll level it and dig
it up, make sure theres not too much in there... haha :D