Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update on Issac

Eleni
June 17th, 2005, 07:20 AM
went to the developmental ped yesturday where she did her Autism eval.

we wont get the official diagnosis till wednesday but she said shes leaning towards a mild autism diagnosis.

hes defiantly got some autistic behaviours.

if its autism at least its mild I suppose thats some consolation

but im in hives, likely stress related, and it sucks.

I guess wednesday we will get more detail,

at least we arent going crazy and that the things that were concerning us really were abnormal

Eleni

Schwinn
June 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Here's hoping things turn out well. At least it isn't worse case scenario. We'll be pulling for you!

Luba
June 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Eleni

Try some lovely rasperry tea to help calm your nerves and maybe some chamomile tea before bed.

HUGS

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Most children with mild autism do very well! I am sure he'll (and you!) will be fine. Have you accessed any info from the autism association and other groups? I've come to realize (at our medical staff's lobster dinner, lol) that our autism chair is the only one of its kind in Canada - in terms of research et al. Good luck! I am sure you will feel better now that you know what you are dealing with. I think wiating for a diagnosis or test results can be the most frustrating part!

Eleni
June 17th, 2005, 12:08 PM
yeah, the final diagnosis, wich we will get next week will let us know where to go from there

as far as the autism society and support, we are jsut waiting to be sure 100 % its autism and then we will look for resources for the family and such.

chances are we will be putting him in day care or preschool that is equipped to handle his tantrams etc, because honestly I dont think i can handle any more at this point.

He and i need a bit of breathing room to begin being able to work with him and get somewhere.

we have had suggestions from both the doctor and speach therapist on what we can be doing int he meanwhile with him, and we are doing what we can.

its so odd putting him in pre school or daycare goes against my beleifs as a mom, i always beleived the best place for a child is with mom untill they are ready for kindergarten

but I honestly beleive I cant do enough for issac at home at this point.

not without being exhausted and frustrated, and thats not fair to him, nor is it fair to my other 2 children and husband.

so Im beginning to think of things according to what has the most potential to help him as opposed to my not wanting to let him go.

but I feel any progress we make at this point will be progress in the right direction

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 17th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Once you have a diagnosis, you will find that there are people who specifically do respite work for families. This gives the family a break and helps the child become more independent and work with others guidance. You normally can have at least one respite weekend a month and it's always with the same person so your child is comfortable as well.

Remember to take some "mommy time" for yourself.

Princesss04
June 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM
:grouphug: I am glad that they are finding something out! I would rather know what it is than not know and just guess! I hope things turn out fine as I am sure they will. Sending big hugs your way! :D

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I think a child in daycare is a good thing in many ways - not just for children with special needs either. They socialize with other children and develop skills - especially social skills - that would not happen as quickly at home. Recently, one of our nephrology Residents was faced with the issue of her young child being called "developmentally delayed". BUT, it turned out to be related almost solely because the child was home with an au pair while both parents - doctors - worked. They are model parents - tho they have no TV and while they interact with their child and give him much love and attention, there was never enough interaction with others his age. Now in a child care center, he is doing just fine - no developmental probs at all. He just needed to spend more time with children!! I guess in our changing society, it is not like there are large families where older children were there for the younger ones. The nuclear family with 1.5 children just does not provide the same resources, amazingly enough.

Eleni
June 17th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Issac does spend lots of time with other children, both his siblings, his cousin and the kids in our apartment building.

but the challenge is his behaviour is obviously pretty anti social, very little eye contact, he doesnt actively seek out attention of any form, doesnt speak very much at all, doesnt respond to his name or attempts to engage him in play. all of these make it hard to interact with children at his age on a normal level.. he will need to be somplace thats prepared to deal with that I think

i worry about him growing up socially mostly because I know its a rough place for people who are the odd man out so to speak. and he would definatly fall into that catagory.

but all of that is jumping a bit ahead, we just gotta concentrate on today, and see where we are going from there.

I spoke to the speach therapist today and they are taking a team appraoch with Issac, to help us cope with his behaviour as well as develop what they call the precursors to speach. wich is eye contact and imitating and initiating play all that fun stuff

shes talking about ahving me attend a workshop with her geared towards teaching autistic children how to communicate this will be sometime in the next few weeks. so the resources are already flowing in...thankfully help is what we despratly needed, both me and Issac needed help to cope with the situation we are in.

its funny he is the one having difficulty but it really effects not only him, but the whole family as well

Eleni

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Anytime a child has any medical or developmental problem, it is a family problem. I see that in the families I treat - and we see it that way where I work, We know we are not just treating a child but the whole family. It is no surprise that the children who do better are the ones with more stable families - tho I have to say I have young patients whose parents mature befor my eyes as they cope with their child's cancer! It is as if they HAVE to be responsible and strong for their child - and his/her siblings - and they live up to the challenge. And there are families who fall apart and we have to find them help to cope and become well again. ALL of them! I often worry even about the sibs of my patients because they sometimes miss out on attention as the family coaleses its resources for the ill child. So we have developed programs to involve them and thus far, our evaluation of those is gointg well. I think we will be continuing them. They need to feel involved and important as well!

Anyway - did not mean ro go off track.

I am so glad to hear you are finally accessing resources for Issac and your family. That is certainly good news!