Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cortisone side effects?

toby's tracy
June 17th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know of side effects from cortisone shots? In particular, excessive urination?

Yesterday morning, 3.5 month old Toby went to see his vet for a booster shot and also because he has a very stinky, itchy ear. His vet asked if he had any strange behaviours, and I explained that he had been eating his back toes and scratching his neck a bit lately. He gave him a cortisone shot for while I wean him off of chicken-based food (which I was already in the process of doing) to determine whether or not he has an allergy.

So, he received his leptospira booster, a cortisone shot, and a deworming pill in the morning.

About 10 minutes after we got him home he peed in my office - he hasn't gone in the house in 2 weeks +. Later on in the afternoon - after having his walk, he 'went' in my boyfriend's office. He also cried in the middle of the night to go for a pee - he usually sleeps through the night.

Each time, he pees a lot! As if he hasn't gone in hours, even if it has only been a 1/2 hour.

Since he had a deworming pill and a lepto booster together 2 weeks ago with no side efects - I am starting to wonder about the cortisone.... :confused:

thanks for any help!

happycats
June 17th, 2005, 06:04 AM
My BIL has a border collie X who has bad allergies. She was on cortisone shots for a while, and her side effects were, peeing all over the house, and a very large weight gain!! So she was taken off cortisone, and vet perscribed an allergy pill instead.
Tipper (the dog) is pretty good at home, but if she goes up north or camping she has really bad allergies, now that she is getting older my BIL doesn't take here to places that will set off the allergies.

toby's tracy
June 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM
:eek: oh boy...how long did the peeing all over the house last after she got a shot?

We are hoping :fingerscr that the allergy is food-based (chicken) and that he will not need another shot once he is weaned off of the food (by tomorrow probably). Yet, the vet said the cortisone is good for 3 weeks...will I have 3 weeks of this??????????????????????

happycats
June 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM
I'm sorry, that was so long ago, I will have to talk to my BIL and get back to you, unless someone here has had a more recent experience.
I'm not sure if the peeing lasted the full 3 weeks or not :eek: , but I do know Tipper felt horrible every time she did it, because she knew it was wrong, but had no control over it! :sad:

Good luck with Toby, And I hope you have found his allergy, so he won't have to have anymore shots :( . If Chicken isn;t it, you may want to ask the vet about allergy pills (I know my BIL's vet told him to buy a certain "human" brand) .

badger
June 17th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Get out the newspapers, at least you know it won't last. Imagine how he feels!

happycats
June 17th, 2005, 07:54 AM
happycats: r u allowed to post what "human Bran of allergy pill" ur vet recommended?

Sure, It's actually my BIL's dog "Tipper", I'll be talking to him this week-end and find out which one it is, I'll post as soon as I find out :)

happycats
June 17th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I did a web search, and came up with a couple things (until I speak to the BIL :) ) this is what one web site states:
Antihistamines and decongestants may contain pseudoephedrine, a drug that is poorly tolerated by dogs and cats. Even one pill can be a toxic dose. "It is extremely important to consult with a veterinarian before administering any drugs to pets. Similar appearing medications may actually contain different active ingredients. Some antihistamines are routinely prescribed by veterinarians to treat allergies, but other antihistamines, even those with very similar names, can contain pseudoephedrine or other dangerous ingredients," explains Dr. Merola

And I found this to be a very informative site:http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm, But as this site states, please consult your vet first :)

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 10:49 AM
The urinating is not the problem... You're supposed to monitor their drinking after a cortisone shot. The shot makes them thirsty and they drink and drink and then have to empty it somewhere. Your vet should have mentioned that...

I've never heard of weight gain from cortisone shots, but you shouldn't have the shots too often. They take about 2 weeks to fully kick in, and last about 2 months. Jemma gets one a year. I also wash her feet more often in ragweed season in hopes that she might not be so itchy.

toby's tracy
June 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM
The urinating is not the problem... You're supposed to monitor their drinking after a cortisone shot. The shot makes them thirsty and they drink and drink and then have to empty it somewhere. Your vet should have mentioned that...

Yes! That would have been nice! What a nasty surprise! :eek:

We'll start monitoring the water - thanks again, Prin! :thumbs up

happycats
June 17th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I cannot seem to open the above link!

I even went to Natural Animal & Pawtisserie but when u don't know what u need - :confused:

Vet recommended trying "benadryl" but I prefer to have a few different opinions 1st -

I'll wait for ur post - thanks happycat!
That's strange :confused: Did you try typing that www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm it in the address field ?

If it doesn't work, I just looked at it and it say "Benedryl is safe" 1/2 mg per lb. every 8 hours (max dose 2mg per lb).