Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suddenly not recognizing people?

Jackie467
June 16th, 2005, 11:50 PM
OK IGs have a high hereditary chance of going blind before they are 3 years old (I forget what the disease is called). So I'm really nervous about this and Candi will be going to the vet monday.

Yesterday my SO came home from work and when he came in he didn't say anything, just came in and Candi was on the couch. All the sudden she saw him and started giving her strange new person bark and running to get between me and him. (She only does this when someone new comes into her territory, it's her saying "mom theres someone strange here, just wanted to let you know". Normally I tell her it's ok and she'll sniff the person and then become friends.) Well she obviously knows my SO very well, he's been here since I brought her home, in fact he came with me when I got her, thats her daddy. When she did this he said "Candi, whats wrong?" as soon as he said that she went running over tail wagging to greet him. This is the second time this has happend with him.

It's scarring me because it's like until he says something she doesn't know who he is. I'm afraid maybe she's having probs with her eyes. He works at a pizza place so sometimes when he comes home he reaks of pizza. I'm thinking maybe she can't see well from far away (both times this happened they were far apart when he came in) and since he doesn't say anything, and he doesn't smell like himself she doesn't recognize him.

Does anyone else have this happen? I'm really freaking out because she seems to run into things a lot when she running, but I had always just thought that was because she would get going so fast she couldn't stop, now i'm wondering.

Any ideas? Is this something that some dogs do? Should I be really worried?

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm just really scarred that she is loosing her eye sight.

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Is it only with him? If it is, I'd be suspicious... If it's with other people too, then I'd see the vet.

My friend's new dog is ok with everybody, but barks at her step son whenevr he moves...

Jackie467
June 17th, 2005, 12:18 AM
it's only been with him, (twice). but everyone else always say something when they come in. I know he hasn't done anything to her, she's his baby. I think he worries more about her then I do. And she will not sleep unless he puts her to bed, guess mommy isn't good enough :rolleyes:. (besides he's never been alone with her, he is either at work, at home with me and when I go to work she comes with me, and she even insists on coming to the bathroom with me so not even then, it's kind of sad she's with me almost literaly 24 hours a day. I don't leave her alone because she has seperation anxiety) Thats why I'm worried. I mean it's only when he doesn't say anything and doesn't smell like he usually does, come to think of it he was wareing a new cologne yesterday when it happened. Thats what makes me think it's her eyes.

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 12:32 AM
The thing is, sometimes it's not what the person has done to the dog, but what they do in general.

I don't mean to offend you at all or imply anything, but I just know some people that dogs just don't like. My old lab was my brother's dog from 9 years old and when he became a teen, he was up to REALLY no good, and at night when he'd come home, she'd bark at him like a robber until he turned on the lights. When she saw who he was, she was so embarrassed, but she was just calling it like she saw it-- he was a shady guy. If she hadn't grown up with him, she wouldn't let him in the house.

Could also be that somebody who wore that cologne wasn't nice to her...

I'm just not convinced her eyes are terrible. I mean she relies on her scent more than her eyes, which Boo does too, but that can mean that the nose is simply stronger and not necessarily that the eyes are bad. Aren't hounds scent driven anyway?

Safyre
June 17th, 2005, 01:25 AM
I know that some dogs get PRA, PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY, not sure if thats the disease you are thinking of.
IF she is running into things, and having difficulty recognzing some things, getting her eyes checked by a optamologist might be a good idea

Jackie467
June 17th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Nope he is a great guy in general. Never done anything bad.

IGs are sight hounds, they rely more on their sight than sent. (they are actully the smallest sight hound in existance, whippets and greyhounds are also sight hounds).

Yes Sayre that is the disease i'm thinking of. It's very common disease in IGs.

As far as someone wearing that colongne is doubtful unless it happened before I got her at 12 weeks. She never leaves my side, and is kind of shy of people in general and doesn't let them touch her unless i'm right there to make her feel more comfertable, and even then there are some people she just doesn't like. (this is also known to be common with the breed).

I worry about her eyes because she runs into things a lot, and also sometimes miss judges distances when she is jummping from one place to another. I have problems seeing distance (I'm blind to anything more than 4 feet away from me without my glasses) and one of the biggest issues I have is judging distances, especially when it's dark. That is the reason I don't drive at night, I tend to slow down so far before the red light that by the time I get there it's green again.

Lucky Rescue
June 17th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I'm thinking maybe she can't see well from far away (both times this happened they were far apart when he came in) and since he doesn't say anything, and he doesn't smell like himself she doesn't recognize him.

That could be it. NO dogs see well at a distance or can recognize faces, not even sighthounds. They can detect MOTION at far distances, but have no idea what is moving, which is why they will chase paper bags or anything else that moves.

Try having your b/f say "Hi" to her as soon as he walks in the door.

Luba
June 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Here's just a thought....sometimes dogs can do this because of an odour coming from that person. Has your bf just started taking some new medication? Has he been ill with anything?

My dog has had the same reaction to someone taking a medication which altered the hormonal balance. I picked up on it right away because it was only that person.

The other thing is maybe poochie doesn't like him because maybe you and he argued/had a fight in front of the dog. You dont' have to bring that personal info here if you don't want to obviously but dogs are protective of us and if he's a bad egg that way they'll let him know ;)

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 10:53 AM
IGs are sight hounds, they rely more on their sight than sent. (they are actully the smallest sight hound in existance, whippets and greyhounds are also sight hounds). LOL I knew that (after talking with the lady from greyhound rescue), I don't know why I thought it was the opposite.

If your man is great, how about his cologne? If he doesn't wear it one day, maybe she'll react differently? Maybe it was just masking his smell too much so she couldn't tell who he was?

As for bumping into stuff, I can't help there- Boo runs into things all the time. I guess if she's walking slowly and still hitting stuff, then you can tell.

Do they have doggy opthamologists?

Safyre
June 17th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Prin - i think they do have doggy opthamologists
PRA can run in Tollers as well, so when I asked my vet about it this last time, he told me not to worry until I saw signs that there was a problem. I asked him what to look for ... when she is having problems recognzing people, running into things, stumbling into things, acting more frightened than normal.
This disease can only be determined by an opthamologists because of its nature. The eye starts to pull away from the optic nerve, so they have to look right into the eye in order to determine.

mona_b
June 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Prin - i think they do have doggy opthamologists

That they do..... :)

There are many breeds with different eye diseases

Here is a link to breeds with the different eye disorders.

http://www.dogpack.com/health/healthproblems.htm

This is why reputable breeders with have their dogs eyes "CERF"

The CERF means Canine Eye Registry Foundation.

PRA(Proggressive Retinal Atrophy) does not start till the age of 5+

Remember,new smells can make a dog act different.Even to their owners.

I know this can also happen with cats.Having 2 cats here,when I go back home to visit my dad,my Calico smells the cats and wants nothing to do with me for a while.

Jackie467
June 17th, 2005, 01:46 PM
hopefully it's just the new cologne. I already asked him to stop wearing it because it made my allergies flare up.

As far as arguments we have had arguments in front of her before (hard not to when she is with me 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the past year and a half since I'v gotten her lol) but it never bothered her before, and we haven't had an argument in a long time. So I don't think that can be it.

I'm hoping that maybe it was just the new colonge. He hasn't been sick or anything so he's not on any new medication.

IF that eye diseas doesn't happen until after the age of 5 there must be another disease that is common that strikes before the age of 3. I'll have to go look it up on my IG board. I know there is a couple of people on my IG board that have dogs who are blind because of this and it happened to all of them before they were 3.