- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 



June 16th, 2005, 09:57 PM
My 8 month old American Eskimo Phil came down with a rash on her belly. Its hard to tell if its anywhere else because of all her hair but I did notice a sore spot on her leg as well. I'm not sure what the rash is but I'm assuming its some sort of allergic reaction. She's been licking it a lot. I've made an appointment at the Vets office for tomorrow at 5:30 but I'm worried! I'm not even 100% I'll be able to make it as I have to work 10:00 to 6:00 so I have to try and get off work early. Shes fine in every other way she seems to even be playing more than usual! Anybody have any other ideas as to what it can be?

June 16th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Could it be a grass allergy? Have you shampooed her recently? Changed her food?

June 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I haven't done anything different with her food and she hasn't been bathed recently either. We did go for a walk somewhere different this week. So maybe she was allergic to something there. I think I read somewhere that eskimos are prone to being allergic to fleas. My poor little Phil. She seems so uncomfortable.

what a day though all in the same day my broke and my dogs sick. Its going to be an expensive day today.

June 17th, 2005, 09:01 AM
It sounds like she is reacting to the grass/pollen from where you took her. Hopefully it's not fleas!!

Dodger has a rash like that right now - I clean twice a day and put calendula cream on it. But Dodger's rash is where he has no hair so I can understand why his exposed skin gets irritated. Grass is prickly!!

I hope that Phil is okay! I hope you make it to the vet's!

June 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM
It can also be anything you use to spray on or clean your floors or carpets with, or the dogs bedding. IF it is fleas, have you found any flea dirt, looks like pepper. If you're using anything like oust or febreeze or some strong cleaner like that I'd stop. If any of that is on your furniture now I'd wipe it down with a damp cloth, vacuum the carpets with baking soda, rewash any bedding with a fragrance free detergent NO fabric softeners..that kind of thing. You can wash your floors with water and vinegar...kills over 98% of bacteria :D

June 17th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I just got home from the vets office and they said that she has a bacterial infection and gave me some cream. He says that it should be gone by the weekend but if it isn't because shes licking the cream off she;ll have to wear a cone!
The vet thought it was from a bug bite. hopefully she'll be fine!