Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog has periods of raspy snorting - asthma? allergies?

Nevermore
June 16th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I have a 5 1/2 year old Whippet who has suddenly begun having periods of raspy sounding snorting. One minute she'll be breathing fine and the next she'll be having trouble. It started a the night before last. She's never had trouble breathing before, and even this seems to come and go. But it's happening so often I'm getting worried. At least twice an hour she'll go into this fit of snorting. It's like she's trying to breath in but is having trouble. It sounds like a person with a cold trying to get phlegm out of their nasal passage. I don't know how else to describe it. It doesn't seem like she's doing it on purpose though, it seems like it suddenly hits her and she can't control it.

Nothing significant in her diet has changed... we do feed her table scraps but nothing too weird and nothing different than we've been feeding her all her life, so I don't think it's her diet that is affecting her.
I thought maybe it was the high pollen count in the air this season... has anyone heard of that sort of thing affecting a dog's breathing? She hasn't exhibited any other weird symptoms.
I was thinking perhaps it's asthma, but it seems too irregular...

I'm calling the vet tomorrow to try to get an appointment, but I was wondering if anyone here had any advice in addition to that?
Thanks!

Edit: She also recently came in contact with my neighbor's new puppy... could she have caught something from her?

Jackie467
June 16th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Judging by the frequency of the attacks I'd say going to a vet ASAP is a good idea. My family has a whippet. He has what we call reverse sneezes. It sounds like a backwards sneeze. He does this sometimes, it sounds like he can't breath sometimes, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as with your girl and that is what worries me. Sometimes if you just sit with them and tell them it's ok and rub the underside of their neck gently it seems to help it pass quicker. I hope everything is ok with your baby. Let us know what the vet says. And I would love to see a pic.

Prin
June 16th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I agree with going to the vet...

Cactus Flower
June 16th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Sounds like reverse sneezing to me, as well. However, with it happening so often, a trip to the vet is good thinking on your part. Could be that she has some serious post-nasal drip from allergies. But something could even be lodged in her sinuses (hope not!).

Please let us know what the vet says.

kandy
June 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Is there a chance that your dog came in contact with a fox tail? I'm talking about the plant kind, not an actual foxes tail. We have them all over, and if your dog eats one (which alot of dogs do for some reason) parts of the plant get stuck in their throat and they will do this. It sometimes (but not always) requires a trip to the vet to get them out.

Cactus Flower
June 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Kandy, that's exactly what I was thinking of! When I last took Raj to the vet, a dog that had had one removed from its sinuses was coming out. We're having a terrible foxtail season here. They will even get lodged in the webbing between their toes, and work its way THROUGH the paw! Awful.

Nevermore, what did the vet say? How's your baby doing?

losinsusan
June 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM
How ironic this thread is up now. My dog for the first time in 8 years has started to reverse sneeze. Its just started last week and he only did it like a few days. When he went outside. He is being tested for dry eyes this week because it started along with this eye dripping. Doctor thinks might be autoimmune in nature, and can't treat for allergies till they know for sure. Just odd that I never saw it before or heard of it till last week and I do rub his throat gently and he comes right out of it. He runs to me to have me help him when it happened. LOL

Shaykeija
June 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM
When Akeija was alive she used to have fits of reverse sneezing. Freaked me out so bad the first time she did it I gave her mouth to snout. I thought she was dying on me. I took her to the vet and she did it in in office so violentley that he came out of the back with portable oxygen. He thought she was choking. But the only way we could ease it was pet her throat and reassure he it was ok. Scarey as hell but it seems to be just one of those quirks your dog may have. Now if I could cure the nose burning farts Sophia has I'd be happy. :D (maybe the husband too ) :p

Nevermore
June 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone. :) Sorry it took me so long to respond... worked 52 hours this week so I didn't have much time to get online ><

My brother took her to the vet for me Friday (I was working) and of course Peanut being her cowardly self turned into a statue the moment they got her up on the vet's examining table... so they weren't able to hear her make the noise. The vet did say that she sounded rather congested and so she prescribed an antibiotic and an antihistamine which we've been giving her the past few days.

Since then she's stopped doing the reverse sneezing thing, but she still sounds congested like she's trying to cough up phlegm... I'm taking this as a good sign that at least she's not having a hard time catching her breath anymore. :/

Now if I could cure the nose burning farts Sophia has I'd be happy. :D

If you find a cure let me know.... :p Peanut is deadly and has often been referred to as a weapon of mass destruction. She can clear a room in seconds :rolleyes:

Angeleyes1437
June 22nd, 2005, 08:25 PM
My puppy got kennel cough (even thought he was vaccinated for bordatella) when he went in to get neutered. After that went away he started to reverse sneeze (kind of like a muffled snort)- I thought it was a relapse and rushed him to the vet. Turns out it was allergies of some sort. Their sinus get dry, or the complete opposite and that is their way of dealing with it. I put him on a antihistamine for a few days and he was FINE! Every now and then when the pollen is high he will do it again, then I just give him a pill and he's fine again. It rarely happens anymore ::knock on wood:: I wouldn't worry, it's treatable... the vet gave you the right diagnosis.