Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat and blood

Candy Strand
June 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM
This is a problem my daughter told me about. She adopted an beautiful, sweet Siamese adult cat. She supplied a litterbox in the bathroom. She suspected the cat was peeing in the sink and then actually saw her do it. Has anybody heard of this? Maybe somebody had tried to train her to pee in the toilet? Anyway, the bigger problem with this cat is that she leaves a mist of blood behind her. My daughter can't find out where it's coming from. She finds it on the counters or chairs where the cat has been. It's not a lot of blood and it's not drops. It's a fine mist. Thinking it to be very unsanitary the cat is kept outside now. They can't afford a vet, so does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks guys...

raingirl
June 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
As everyone here will suggest, the only option is to see a vet. Spraying blood isn't normal, and could be a sign of a serious infection. Unfortunately, the few vets that sometimes post here, only do so about once a month, so a vet will not see this or be able to help.

A vet visit should only run about $40 to $50...can you let your daughter the money? It really is the only option.

As other's posters here may point out as well, denying an animal care when it is sick is animal cruelty, and against the law. I suggest your daughter find a way to bring the cat in ASAP.

chico2
June 16th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I am also sorry to hear,your daughter decided to put the poor cat outside,if she is not able or willing to pay for a vet,the best thing might be to return the cat from where she adopted her.
Since Siamese are popular she might be adopted out to a family who can better afford to take care of her properly.
Leaving her outside might very well kill her... :sad:

mona_b
June 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
This cat needs to see a vet ASAP.

I agree with chico,if she can't afford to take this cat that she adopted to a vet,then she should bring the cat back.Is there anyway you can help her with the money?

happycats
June 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Your daughter needs to get this cat to a vet ASAP! Throwing the cat outside because it's bleeding, is very cruel!
Is there anyway you or other family members can get together to help this poor cat? If not, your daughter should seriously consider giving this cat to a rescue, where it "may" get some vet care, and if your daughter opts for this, she should not get any animals again unless she can properly care for them, financially and otherwise.

Lucky Rescue
June 16th, 2005, 06:00 PM
This is horrendous. Have you ever had a bladder infection? If not, it's EXTREMELY painful.

I cannot believe someone would throw a suffering cat outside because it's "Unsanitary".

This is not only cruel and heartless, but illegal.

Please have your daughter give the cat back to whoever she got it from, or surrender it to a vet who will treat it and give it to a home where it will get the care it needs. Why on earth she got a cat is beyond me and I hope she won't get any more pets on a whim to neglect and abuse.

Unreal.

Candy Strand
June 16th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I guess I needed that reality check! You guys are tough. I was more concerned with the health of my grandkids than the cat. So I guess I wasn't thinking clearly about the pet. I also feel they should take the cat to a vet and that is what I urged her to do.
I didn't mean to insinuate that the cat was thrown out. She's free to be inside and out but they had been keeping her only inside. They are still taking care of her.
I do thank you all though for snapping me to attention. The biggest problem in this situation is that nobody has the time to take care of a pet properly. With working part time and raising two little kids, my daughter shouldn't have a pet in the home at all since she is the only one who will make sure to feed and clean up after it.

Lucky Rescue
June 16th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Sorry to be tough, but we hear so many stories of suffering animals and owners who refuse to lift a finger or spend a dime to help them.

This cat is a female, so she likely has a bladder infection which most of us have had. It's every bit as painful for a cat, and they urinate all over to try and find a place where it wont' hurt so much. Just because they can't talk doesn't mean they don't suffer.

I HOPE you or someone will help this poor cat, then find it a decent home.

kitkitkitty
June 16th, 2005, 10:32 PM
They are absolutly correct this animal needs to see a vet immediatly. Here is a question for you. If one of your grandchildren was bleeding when they urinated wouldn't you take them to the doctor????????? And im sorry a part time job and being a mother is no reason for neglect. :mad:
kitkitkitty

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Not much more to add except as someone with a lovable Siamese, if she had a bladder infection, she would be at the vet right then and there. It is not anything to fool around with. The cat needs help NOW!!! And pain relief asap!!! How cruel can people be!! This makes me cry!!

Candy Strand
June 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM
You know what? I'm sorry I ever wrote in to this website. I only asked for advice, not a lesson in morality. I won't be asking for advice again. Don't send me any more messages. I've had enough. Thanks.

happycats
June 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM
People who feel guilty, quite often get defensive :sad: . And I'm sorry you feel this way, and if you don't ever come back that is entirely up to you, but PLEASE try to help that poor cat!
I know it's not your cat, but I'm sure there is something you can do or say to help her! Even if you find a new home so she can get the vet care she needs!

Really this isn't about you, and how you feel,It's about a poor cat who may die without vet care .

badger
June 17th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Wow, what brought that on? At first you saw the logic of what people were telling you and then in the space of a few hours, you're offended?

Imagine having a urinary infection so bad that you're passing blood. Can you not empathize with this animal? If you can't, or more to the point if your daughter can't, then she should not have adopted it. Period.

Lucky Rescue
June 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Sorry, but someone obviously NEEDS a lesson in morality, compassion and humanity if they would aquire an animal, then let it suffer this way.

Never mind ranting - just get the poor cat the help it needs and be grateful YOU will never have to suffer with no one to help you.

mona_b
June 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM
does anybody have any suggestions?

See,this is what gets me...You asked for suggestions,we gave them to you,and now your getting pissy on us?Come on.Why on earth did she bother adopting this so called beautiful Siamese in the first place if she can't afford a to take her to a vet?

Would you not take any of your pets to see a vet if they were sick?

badger
June 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I suggest you read this thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16403

chico2
June 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Well,she's gone as so often happens,I don't know what she from us,what kind of advice she wanted to hear. :confused:
Things like this makes me really sad,this poor little"friendly,beautiful"cat is out there somewhere suffering,with nobody to help!!
Who needs horror-stories from the news-paper? There are plenty right here!

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Gawd tha is so true Chico - it happens much too often here unfortunately and we are but a microcosm of society!

WhKnight
June 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I was so sad to hear about what was happening to this poor cat. My cat Chaco woke me up at 3:00 one morning peeing in a corner, and I knew something had to be wrong, because this is my very fastidious cat who would never, ever dream of using anything but her litterbox.

I got up and went to clean it up and when I saw the blood on the toilet paper I nearly lost it...I was scared to death. I called work that minute and left my boss a message that I wouldn't be in, because I was taking her to the vet as soon as possible the next day.

It turned out she had bladder stones, and they had grown so large and were so irritating that her poor little bladder was swollen to several times its normal size. She was in surgery two days later. Yes, it cost quite a bit, and I felt anxious laying that credit card down, but the vet let me pay it off in installments. There was no way I was going to let my cat suffer...in fact, I felt terrible thinking how long she might have suffered before she finally sent me that very clear message.

The same was true when she woke me up on another morning with such a bad asthma attack she could barely breathe. I threw clothes on and was in the car with her on the way to the animal emergency room, and I was terrified that she was going to die before we got there.

I never feel guilty about spending money on my cats' health. It's true they aren't human children, but when you have a pet, like you guys have said, you have an obligation to care for them...that's part of the responsibility you take on when you adopt them. If for some reason I couldn't pay for their care, I would either see if I could find a vet who would take payments, like my old vet did, or I would take them to a shelter to see if they could get the care they needed.

It's very, very sad. I hope that cat somehow got the help she obviously desperately needed.

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Re they are not children

They may not be human children but I care for human children all day - very ill human children I might add and I become close to each and every one of them and their families just by virtue of their disease. I love my cats just like they are human babies and I am not alone nor eccentric in that thought.

I would care for human babies as equally carefully and aggressivly as need be but my cats are my life and I truly believe one must care for nimals in the same way!! It is how we care for the most vulnerable that ultimately shows who we are and how much good we do in the world. That is why I volunteer for Doctors without Borders. So it just sickens me that someone would choose to ignore the suffering of a cat or any being that us defenceless and cannot soeak for itself. I do not care how many feathers I ruffle saying it either - we NEED to show our humanity in all that we take responsibility for. It was this woman's daughter, if I am correct, who is not taking this ill cat to the vet - so perhaps she can encourage her to do what is ruight for the cat and if she cannot afford it to find someone who will. I honestly see no connection to the woman's human children - how will a cat with a bladder infection affect the children? She is teaching them worse lessons by throwing it outside!! That is a lesson that will last forever and is very sad!

badger
June 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, well, the OP seems to have disappeared. I was thinking bladder stones too, which is even sadder. If she won't take the cat for a checkup, what are the chances of her paying for surgery? I hope at the very least she will call a rescue and see if they will take over.

WhKnight
June 17th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Re they are not children

I love my cats just like they are human babies and I am not alone nor eccentric in that thought.

I would care for human babies as equally carefully and aggressivly as need be but my cats are my life and I truly believe one must care for nimals in the same way!! It is how we care for the most vulnerable that ultimately shows who we are and how much good we do in the world.

Amen! I so agree! One of things I really like about this bulletin board is finding so many people whose pets are as precious to them as mine are. Bravo!

Linda

Karin
June 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I am adding my .02 cents worth even if no one cares.

I just read this thread for the first time. If you all look at the time frame, all was well and understood....then came even more lashing after the fact. A newbie would not know to look at the time, they are new and are still learning to navigate the board. On the other hand, many people respond here like a "chat board", just about here all the time...the poster comes back and reads what has been posted AFTER the last post when left.
I would feel insulted too the way I read it.
Take the time and read closely yourselves.
I was guilty of this too before.
And...many posts are made without reading prior posts. Shooting from the hip. That's not fair.

twinmommy
June 17th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I guess I'm just trying to figure out if being so tough with newbies is really going to solve anything.

If you really want to educate people, don't take a tone that insinuates that they should already KNOW what you want to get across. And yes, it's frustrating that they ask for advice and then cop an attitude, but have you seen how we can bombard someone??!? :rolleyes:

Time and time again, they just bolt and the chance to help the pet is lost.

badger
June 18th, 2005, 12:50 AM
You're right, we do pile it on.

I think the thought of a suffering animal, particularly in extreme cases like this, makes us anxious and then when there doesn't appear to be any movement towards a solution (that we know of), we keep pushing and then there's a 'tipping point' and it can become counter-productive.

In this case, I was quite encouraged by the OP's second post, it sounded like she understood the gravity of the cat's condition and was going to make a move, but then everybody had to have their say, and it was probably too much.

The two triggers here were the money issue (so we question the person's priorities) and the fact that the cat was tossed out of the house for something it clearly had no control over (read: lack of compassion).

Anyway, good point. Perhaps when we see that a couple of people have given sound advice (as in this case, because it was clear the cat had a specific, identifiable problem), the rest should back off.

chico2
June 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM
I am sorry,but I disagree,there was only one answer to this poster,not directed at her personally,since she wrote on behalf of her daughter,there really was no way to sugar-coat an answer
There is no home-remedy to suggest,I cannot say,the daughter did the right thing by putting the cat out...the only solution is a vet.
I know how difficult it can be,I've been arguing with my son over his JRT since the day he got her and he is now finally listening and doing the proper thing.
Also,I cannot see any danger to a child,because the cat has an infection..
As for children being more important,you just do not compare the two...but my cats are my dependants,I love them and it's my duty to see to it they are not suffering.

reese
June 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM
My cat actually was bleeding from her rear area and i panicked last night, i even Did a google search and came upon this site. I signed up and read this thread. I noticed one of your members was on and i pm'ed her with a question bout how i could maybe stop the bleeding till this morning. Well i will not comment on the member that i pm'ed. Anyway i took her to the vetthis morning and she had a few problems. The first was she was very obese and had fat rolls around the area that she urinated from. Those rolls were retaining pee which in turn was scalding her skin. Also the Doctor suspected a urinary tract infection but couldn't get a sample because of the fat. I was given an antibiotic and an oitment for my Cat. She is going to be ok but probably a little pissed for a while cause my vet told me she had to lose weight and i was to feed her once a day, 1/4 of a cup a day only. My baby is 2 years old and she weighs a whopping 13 pounds. I read this thread and i seen the anger you guys had toward the lady that put her cat out with a health problem. I wanted to post good news in this thread to try and brighten it up a little.

I wanna say thanks to Dr. Rebecca D. Kessler of Gaffney Animal Hospital in Gaffney SC for providing such loving care to my cat.

Lucky Rescue
June 18th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Reese I"m glad your cat got the care it needed.:)

As for the obesity, if this were my cat I would try feeding her canned only. It's much more satisfying, healthier, and cats are less apt to get fat on it.

reese
June 18th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Reese I"m glad your cat got the care it needed.:)

As for the obesity, if this were my cat I would try feeding her canned only. It's much more satisfying, healthier, and cats are less apt to get fat on it.

Thanks and my name is chad. Reese is my cat, i just used her name as my screen name.

CyberKitten
June 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
At the time I responded to this person, I never look at the time and to be honest I simply do NOT have time nor in my present lifestyle will I have time (That would mean I have much less time here for the important task of writing and responding and I do sincerely want to help people). So I told her what I thought and did not sugarcoat it. I guess I am used to givcing bad news tho I certainly do not do it quite so matter of fact and am really a sensitive soul. When you are rushed like I feel on this Board, I seem to not have the time nor inclination to sugarcoat the message. Not that this message could be made any better - It was my understanding that the cat thrown out (and you can put it anyway you like but that is what they did and that just makes me sad and angry and I get sick of hearing ppl being so cruel!) was her daughter's and not hers and she was seeking help for her daughter. I had not seen her mention the children till later and frankly have to wonder what that has to do with anything. It is superflous to the sitation in the sense that medically, it is not as if the cat will infect the kids. That would be another matter again!

Now I fell indicted for being harsh when all I did was express my feelings. The sutuation does make me sad. If someone said that to me, I would wake up and tho I might be miffed, it would certainly make me think. Several ppl at various times - probably due to being rushed - have been short with me in providing what was good advice. I surely do not hold it against them. They are busy - they do not have all day to explain things. If the woman wants sugarcoating, she can take the cat to a vet who will spend time explaining how this family can better help the cat.

I will not atone for my feelings of sadness in this case. It truly upset me that they were so cruel to this kitty who was only seeking help from the only family she knows!

Lucky Rescue
June 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM
It truly upset me that they were so cruel to this kitty who was only seeking help from the only family she knows!

I agree. It's not as though this cat had a case of the sniffles or some other minor ailment that could be let go for any period. It's infection/stones are so severe it's bleeding and the cat is no doubt in excruciating pain.

This is an emergency and I don't think it can be emphasized strongly enough that not getting immediate treatment for it is definitely abuse.

I think what is really upsetting and infuriating here is NOT that this person doesn't know enough to get the cat help, but that she got a cat on a whim when she had no time or money for it and won't help it but puts it outside to suffer.

If this cat came from a rescue, they very likely would sue this person for the cruelty and vet bills if they find out.

Siamese cats are very pretty and desirable, but need care just like any other. IF you merely want an ornament, get a statue.

CyberKitten
June 18th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Or the perfect pet in your lost of available pets Lucky. A plush Siamese would not contract an infection and costs little to feed. ;) Sorry, I could not resist but you are so right!

reese
June 18th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Or the perfect pet in your lost of available pets Lucky. A plush Siamese would not contract an infection and costs little to feed. ;) Sorry, I could not resist but you are so right!
Not to mention you wouldn't have to put up with the moodiness and constant "Talking" a simease does. ( couldn't resist either). trust me i have one quare cat.

twinmommy
June 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
This is an emergency and I don't think it can be emphasized strongly enough that not getting immediate treatment for it is definitely abuse.

Don't get me wrong, I agree whole heartedly with you, LR. I am, myself, often guilty of being less eloquent, less knowledgable, and more blunt. One of my favorite replies is to simply post the smiley that bangs his head on the wall, because I can't deal with idiotic questions and their lack of priorities.

btw, CK, I hope you weren't offended, I wasn't trying to indict you AT ALL. I believe your posts are courteous and well written. Your posts clearly speak from the heart without alienating the OP. You are often probably our best chance, on the board, at getting them to go to a vet.

I think what is really upsetting and infuriating here is NOT that this person doesn't know enough to get the cat help, but that she got a cat on a whim when she had no time or money for it and won't help it but puts it outside to suffer.

I'm sorry LR, I don't agree with this entirely, and this is part of the point I'm trying to make. No where in the OP's post does it say they got the cat "on a whim". the OP (who is not even the owner--but hey let's flame her anyways) stated that the part time working mom was probably the only one who took care of it.

YES she should bring the cat to the vet, ASAP.
YES she should not put the poor thing outside.
and YES we all just wish that she was not so ignorant in the caring of this cat.

Too bad, she'll probably remain that way and most likely never come back to this site.
Good thing? Bad thing? Guess for all of us it depends on the day.

Just my 2 cents.

Lucky Rescue
June 18th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Nowhere did I say the OP was the owner of this cat. To me, someone who has no time and no money yet gets a purebred cat does it on a whim or a "I want" impulse with no thought as to the fact that cats get sick and do cost money. I think this has been proven here.

Personally, I hear this constantly and am sick and disgusted by the frequency of this type of passive abuse of defenseless creatures.

The OP is the one who was asking advice and input and this was given to her to pass on to the owner of the cat.

Please, if money is tight and you can't afford to alleviate the suffering of an animal in your care, don't get pets.

This is my opinion only and no one has to agree with it. This thread has run it's course.