Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our budgie seems very withdrawn...

Erica
August 20th, 2001, 03:04 PM
My husband and I found a little budgie sitting on our car in a McDonald's parking lot. He immediately jumped on my finger and ran up my arm to my shoulder. We took him home with us and put him in his new cage. He jumped right to the swing and hopped around a bit before burying his head in his food and eating his fill. The next day, we took him to the pet shop and had his wings and claws clipped.
Now, he won't come out of the cage, nor will he sit on our fingers. He sits on his perch (mostly in the same spot), doesn't play with his toys. Most of his chirping is done when we leave the room and when we come back in, he sits at attention and stares straight ahead.
Is he traumatized? Why would he have been friendly with us when we found him but not once we got home? Do budgies need an "adjustment period" after a tramatizing event? Is there anything we can do? We have already grown very attached to the little fellow and would love to see him playing and chirping away soon!

herman
August 21st, 2001, 08:33 AM
I don't know a thing about birds....but many people tell me I have great common sense....

If i were a bird and you clipped my wings and cut my claws...I'd be pretty upset...and pretty afraid you.

i'm just guessing here...but when the bird met you he had no reason to fear you...now he does.

also maybe he is in pain....he is definitely traumatized.

I suspect if you treat him well from now on...eventaully he will begin to chirp for you.

herman

Melissa F
March 20th, 2002, 11:28 PM
My family has had budgies for ages, most of them do the same (sit and don't do much except for the odd squark). When they are young you need to handle them a lot, if you want them to be tame. My advice is to keep taking him out of his cage and handling him as much as possible. Hire a book from the library or something about taming birds and it should have all you need to know. I don't think he's traumatised. :)

Kailee'smom
March 21st, 2002, 02:48 PM
I am not a bird expert either, just adding my input.
I am curious as to whether budgies are social birds, ,meaning do they do better with another budgie for companionship?
I also watched a TV show lately on pet birds, and they really stressed having tons of activities in their cage to keep them stimulated. Most of the toys they showed could be homemade. I agree, get a book on budgies and find out as much as you can about them.