Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Animal Horror Stories From The Net

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I just wanted to post my two cents on something that I'm sure some of you may have been thinking of as well.

We all know about horrible stories of abuse and neglect and sharing them with one another can help to educate and save lives, perhaps even change the laws.

However, it seems to be that some users are deliberately seeking out these stories from on line newspapers and world news archives, and posting multiples of them on an on going basis. I understand the passion for wanting to change things. However I do not see the point of simply doing internet searches for all these devastating stories, then copying and pasting them here from the newspapers.

I for one am tired of even looking at the thread titles, let alone reading the threads.

Just my two cents.

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I dont know if u mean me,but i do not go looking for them i check our local news every day and see them there,i feel you see the title to the thread do not read it if u do not like it....No one is making u read it...........

sammiec
June 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
OTA agree Luba! :thumbs up

I tried a while back to encourage people to post GOOD NEWS stories. All the hoorible news keeps coming... we know it happens and we know how awful it is... and they are too easy to find now... how about more of a challenge and find those GOOD NEWS stories!!! :D

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM
And When I Find Some Good News Stories I Post Em,sorry But There Just Arent Many,dont Read The Posts U Dont Like.................no One Is Making U...........

Cactus Flower
June 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Amen, sista!

Sometimes the title alone is enough to nearly ruin my day :( .
This has been commented upon recently, although it didn't change anything. Shamrock posted a thread about it.

I do wish that if someone is compelled to regularly post horrible stories, they could at least make the title a bit less daunting, for those who choose not to read the thread, but who are haunted by the title, nonetheless.....

Cactus Flower
June 16th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Actually, Heidi, I do have to admit that I thought of you when this subject came up. You post more of these stories than any member I know. May I ask why? (And could you please tone down the titles? I would sure appreciate it.)

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I would appreciate it as well, please Heidiho.

sammiec
June 16th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I third that!

Thanks Heidi for understanding!

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Whatever,dont read em.......................I dont get it, you see the title,if u dont like it dont read the post........

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM
What we are asking, if you and / others wish to post these tone the titles down. They don't need to be so graphic. We have no choice but to read the titles, and would rather them not be so horrible. I don't think that is too much to ask, do you?

Cactus Flower
June 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Ok let me explain this again. I have to read the title, in order to decide if I want to read the story or not. But the TITLE is often enough to disturb me a great deal, and I can't UNread the title. Example: "Rottweiler rips boy's face off!". Well, that's pretty much the story, isn't it? Something a bit more innocuous, such as "Rottweiler attack" would be better.

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Right and after u read the title and are upset already,dont read the story................................ I am not gonna start a debate about this...............Just like tv change the channel..........

Cactus Flower
June 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM
It is the "upset already" that we are trying to avoid, Heidi.

Sheesh. We are asking you nicely to tone down the titles, and you dig in your heels. I just don't understand. Do you have no consideration for fellow members here, or is the argument more important to you than respecting other peoples' feelings?

What is so difficult about saying "Sure thing, I can tone down the titles" ?
That is not asking much.

sammiec
June 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM
As requested by other ADULTS we would like you to tone down the title of the horrific stories you insist on posting. That shouldn't be so much to ask!

Out of respect for other users please do not post such graphic titles.

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 02:20 PM
The title is not something i make up the title i put there is exaclty how i find it on the news...........Ok got the point i will not post horror stories,we can all act like these thigns are not happening out there,when i see good stories i will only post those..........You all are right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,reality sucks doesnt it................

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Lets just make sure NO ONE else posts HORROR stories....Just took a look over there and seen i am not the only one. who does .................. :D :D Only happythings here,lets not think about what really is going on out there,,,,,,,,,,,,

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM
We all know these things exsist, we own pets, we volunteer, we foster and we rescue.

Cactus Flower
June 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Goodness, I'd hate to be this insecure, that when someone makes a reasonable request of me, I become so defensive and dramatic. Reality must REALLY suck for YOU.

Nobody is acting as though these things don't happen. I was just asking you to tone down the titles. Obviously this is too challenging for you to understand.

Let me try communicating in your language:

When U read the story,..... and U seen the headline.....and u r gonna copy the headline into the title of the thread..........change the headline into somthing that is not so horrible..........and then we really CAN decide if we want to change the channel or read the story,,,,,,,

marko
June 16th, 2005, 02:44 PM
This thread should stay open for a while. I am curious as to people's opinions on this subject....AND any suggestions.

PLEASE though, once you've posted in this thread once or twice please stop posting. Your viewpoint is now known. I would like to see as many different members as possible post here.

Eventually this thread may be moved to the on topic forum, but for now it will stay here.

Thank you all,

Marko
ADMIN

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I dont think i should change anything about the story,i think i should post it just as i read it..Why change the truth about it at all???Because you cant handle the title of the thread?????? I dont like the stories either but since everyone is so caring about animals i think it should be known what the hell is going on in this world......I post all good stories i find,it is sad there arent many,but that is life.........................

Jackie467
June 16th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I think that graphic titles are sometimes needed. I can't remember what story it was that I opened once on this board but the title just said something like "dog attack", I was not prepared for what I was about to read. I thought it was a dog attack, turned out it was more of a masacre of both people and dogs, much more upsetting then just a dog attack. Also if you read the newspaper or watch the news on t.v. or are just channel surfing what do you do when you hear the announcer say "The dog ripped open the jugular of the boy". You can't unhear it. Do you call the station and tell them that you don't want them saying those things because you might hear them when your trying to decide if you want to watch that channel?

happycats
June 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM
This is a difficult thread, , because I hate to see fellow members fighting, or arguing :sad:
But this is an open forum, and members are pretty much free to post what ever they wish.
And as disturbing as these stories are, heidi chooses to post them, as she reads them.
That being said, If you don't want to see the headlines you can always put Heidi on your ignore list, then you won't even see the headlines ;)

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I just wanted to reply to the last post.

Heidi decided to 'own' this thread when in fact it's not specifically about her. True she does post a great deal of them, but I was making reference in general terms. In no way targeting or singling one person out. Just to clarify.

Thx :D

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Iknow i post alot of them, i know there are other people that do,but i will say i probably do the most,i just think it needs to be shown what is going on out there,i will never post another again ,it makes no difference to me,i just read them and cant believe what i am reading and i guess feel the need to share with people who also love animals................I will not post again

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Tahnk u Happycats there is another option

chico2
June 16th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Personally I do not read anything involving animal-abuse,unless I could do something about it...it will haunt me :mad: and to be absolutely honest,I prefer not to see even a title,something like"Man cuts up kitten!"
I know there are a lot of evil people out there,but there is not a darn thing I can do about it...other than pushing for new animal-cruelty laws,but at least here in Canada,our government is just not interested :evil:

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Just so everyone can not be so wound up,there will be no more from me,so you all can relax.................

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM
The titles i see that say Dog is having seizures or dog cant walk really upset me to ,those are also obvious that pet needs to go to vet,could you please not put those up there or change the title.to upsetting

chico2
June 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Heidi,don't be so defensive,we all get upset about sick animals,but we can at least give advice and maybe help,that is a little different from reading about a horrible case of animal-abuse.
I meant to ask you,how did all your tests work out at the doctors,are you ok???

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I know i can be a little defensive at times,i went to the neorologist passed the walking and other tests she made me do,then i was supposed to get a brain mri,went to appt walked out,coudl not go through with it,to claustrophobic......I just think i will wait and see if i get any other symptons,i cannot afford to keep going to the doctor even with ins,and i really dont believe i have it....Alll the questions she asked me i had none of those symptoms,thank u for asking......................

chico2
June 16th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Heidi,that's good to hear,sometimes things just happen,for no reason at all,never to show up again.let's hope that's the case with you :fingerscr

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks, i at least passed some of the tests so i am just gonna let it go for now..I honestly dont think i have it and she didnt either so i am okay with that. :thumbs up

mona_b
June 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I will only post an answer to this thread once...(just for you Marko... ;)

Thank you so much Luba for starting this thread.I agree with you 100%.

Heidi,instead of posting sad stories,why not look at all the pics that are posted of the cutie patootie loving,happy pets... :)

glasslass
June 16th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I'll post my thoughts just once here also. Honestly, recognition that these horrible things do indeed exist makes my stomach really turn. Seeing the titles, I get this sick feeling and stopped opening them long ago. However, my imagination has already provided gruesome details to my mind, and the damage has been done. I come to this site because there is a lot of helpful information and I enjoy chatting with great people with common interests. I realize my interests and needs will not be the same as everyone elses. My comfort level will be different also. The site can't be tailormade to suit one member. It isn't even possible! I think moderation needs to be the key here. I would make one suggestion. Can we perhaps have a special smilie (what a misnomer in this case) that can be used to precede the title and be recognized as a warning of graphic and upsetting content? :fingerscr :fingerscr

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Isaid I Am Not Posting Anymore Stories Of Abuse..

dmc123
June 16th, 2005, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=marko]This thread should stay open for a while. I am curious as to people's opinions on this subject....AND any suggestions.

I would like to see the titles toned down, they are disturbing. Perhaps title them, "another disturbing story", I don't know perhaps some want to read those horrible things.

Diane

Lucky Rescue
June 16th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Here is a suggestion I made on another board:

Tone down the headlines. Personally, I never read any of the gory/abusive etc stories, but sometimes a headline is enough to make me queasy.

So, please, a headline saying "Dog Abuse"*GRAPHIC STORY/PICS" or whatever, would help a lot instead of saying something like "Dog Beaten to Death".

And we know this goes on every day. We see it and hear about it and I for one don't need to be constantly reminded of how evil humans can be.

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Call me desensitized or whatever, but I just don't think they are often enough to be that big a problem. We need more good news, but I don't think we should stop posting the bad news either. It's not like whoever is posting the stories is making them up.

I think if it bugs people so much to even see the titles, can you hide the title of the last thread? Like just have it blank beside so you have to go INTO the forum to see the titles? Is that possible? That way we don't censor it, and those of us who what the truth and the whole truth can still get it.

sammiec
June 17th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I really like Lucky's idea.

heidiho
June 17th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I just want to say believe me if i when i see good stories i post em,but there just arent a hell of alot of of them out there,but i see for the most part people do not want to read whats going on out there so i will not post bad stories here anymore...

Luba
June 17th, 2005, 10:07 AM
That is a very good idea LR, I like that :D

marko
June 17th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Based on the feedback in this thread, I will create a sticky in the Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World sometime in the next few days.

Although as an ADMIN I try and keep my opinions off the board as much as possible, it is no secret that I too have posted that I think the news stories and their titles are often too graphic. It is especially irksome when they are posted en masse.

I had already started thinking about possible solutions, and Lucky's suggestion is exactly one of the remedies I had on my list.

Please let's keep the feedback going.

Thank you Heidiho for agreeing not to post (or limit) the amount of gruesome stories out there. I believe you will be making the vast majority of members happy with that decision.

Thanks everyone,

Marko
ADMIN

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I have to admit I post good news stories and note that they are not read half as much as their more scary counterparts. That might make an intriging sociological study.
But I think stories about abuse (which unfortunately occur) should be posted with a notice preceeding the story. Graphic is prob a misnomer tho - if it just text.

dmc123
June 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Not sure where to ask this, but Marko or anyone, what does it mean "create a Sticky"? I saw some in the discussion lists but don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance,
Diane

badger
June 17th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I agree with LR (and many others). In fact, I question the need for the thread, we are bombarded with news, most of it bad, such are the proclivities of journalists these days, they jump on bad news cause it pulls in the readers. Whatever. I must say a title is sometimes enough to ruin my day. And Whoaaa! doesn't cut it either, apparently :)

BMDLuver
June 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I must say that I hadn't looked at all at this thread because of the title. I was afraid it was a compilation of ugly news stories. I do not read the newspaper, watch the news, etc... I find it most disturbing. Perhaps that is ignorance but I experience such pain, suffering and neglect daily that I choose my outlets to be free of them if at all possible. I understand the need for the public to be aware in some small way but I myself wish not to be any more aware than I already am. I think it would be great if all the headings could go as LR suggested:

Disturbing Cat Story, Disturbing Dog Story... etc...

I will never forget the dog duct taped to the steering wheel story for the rest of my life. It is a mental image that is burned in my mind forever. :sad:

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Whoa! Never saw the duct taped one but it sound horrible! I do have a friend who asks me not to send her stories like that - I've only ever sent her two but she like me is crazy about cats!

I just think we should never forget (not to barge in on Quebec's Je Me souviens, lol) . I do know for the most part it is speaking to the converted but sometimes we need to know and there are ways to help. Like the web site that has all the stats for the various states in the US of pet abuse cases. I do see a plethora of child abuse cases and the details are usually confidential and it is hard on the soul not to be able to discuss them - except with other collegaues or when they are in court and reported on in the media. At ;least with pet stats, people know and that is a good thing I think.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith can just about kill their child but the world may never hear about it unless they go to jail and even then the world never knows exactly why. But if they abuse their cat and are reported, it is at least in the newspaper - maybe! Now I do understand why I cannot discuss child abuse cases but the down side to that is the facts get discussed anyway by poeple who don't know and conjecture makes it worse. It is a no win proposition, all of this! Sighhhhhhhhhhh!! But I for one believe we need to make sure the world knows there are scary people out there so we can protect our little ones against them or enact laws that help.

Princesss04
June 17th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I just read this and wanted to post what I thought, I agree with what has been said. I have to always wondered why some people only post the bad stories. I mean you do not see some people post anything but those stories. I find this very weird, I mean why post only those things. :confused: I will say no more I know Marko said he would like to see more peoples opinions and so I thought I would post mine. I find it very weird and I agree with you all. I do not like it one bit! :D

heidiho
June 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I will to you why,because i dont know any other people in my life that love animals like i do here,i read i get on the internet every morning to read cnn.com,or my local news here,i do not go lookin for sick stories they are there,when i read them i just cant believe it and i have no one else to discuss it with,because most people i know love animals but not crazy love like we do,so i put them here to be read with people that are like me,it is not intentioal...When i find good stories i put those here but like i said there are not that many,so like i said before it will not happen again,we know it goes on,but we can act like it doesnt if we dont read it......

Prin
June 19th, 2005, 12:15 AM
What if we have a thread in the news section that is about nothing and when you post something, you then post in the nothing thread so the title doesn't show up on the main page? A bit of a waste of time but if the titles really bug people?

Sneaky2006
June 19th, 2005, 12:21 AM
What if we have a thread in the news section that is about nothing and when you post something, you then post in the nothing thread so the title doesn't show up on the main page? A bit of a waste of time but if the titles really bug people?I think I am tired and probably not too with it, the only thing I can say to this is, Huh?

Cactus Flower
June 19th, 2005, 01:50 AM
LOL, I didn't get it either. I'm glad it's not just me.

Prin? Please elaborate?

Angeleyes1437
June 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
It's a shame, but in fact it's not that good stories don't happen... they happen more than the bad stories- but they just don't make good news for these blood-sucking reporters.

I too get a little bothered when I read about bad things happening to dogs or other animals... I try to not read it if I'm already in a sad mood...unless I'm so sad I want to stay that way, lol If I'm in a good mood and can handle it, I read it... if not I will just try to think about something else beside the headline I just caught. In all honesty it sucks, but we have three choices... either say "deal with it and turn your cheek", ban all posting of bad stories... which wouldn't be good for us either, OR try to find a median (which I think is the best choice). For those people who post only bad stories.. I guess just lighten it up. I think we are all upset about it, some more than other, I would never ask someone to stop posting- however, some people are more sensitive than others and we need to respect that.

For example, my softspot is "Pit Bull" related issues, because I have a wonderful American Pit Bull Terrier and when I hear people speak badly about them, or blame something on them- I don't get mad but I actually get hurt... like someone just told me I was ugly or some kind of horrible insult, lol. So when I'm browsing and see something like "Pit Bull Mauls Horses" I can't help but read it... I need to know!!! And then I get upset and want to fight with people making thoughtless ignorant comments. However, that's life- we all have opinions. There not always a person who is right or wrong... we just all need to be considerate of one another.

chico2
June 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Angeleyes,very well said..I happen to be one of those oversensitive with animal-abuse,but I just do not read it and I can understand how you feel about the Pit horror-stories,every news-paper is so very eager to print :sad:

aussiemedogs
June 20th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I have to agree with Heidi, I for one sometimes will miss out and not get the FULL story and am dying to hear what happened and what the outcome was. Fortunately Heidi posts it as it has been posted on the radios t.v's etc.....I read the title and bam there it is.

Thanks Heidi

No offence to the others but it is a matter of choice as to what you want to read or not....

heidiho
June 20th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Thank u,Aussie dogs i agree,dont read,you see the title is upsetting u enough dont go open the thread...But like i said i will not post anymore

Cactus Flower
June 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I for one sometimes will miss out and not get the FULL story and am dying to hear what happened and what the outcome was.

Once again- we are not asking that you don't tell the full story! Just that the TITLE be toned down. You can tell the whole story in the thread.

Sorry Marko, I know you didn't want anyone to post more than twice on this thread, but it seems I was one of the only few honoring your request, and I just wanted to clarify this one point.

Shamrock
June 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Well, I really like the idea of Lucky's. Toning down the titles solves the problem.The full story can certainly be relayed within the thread.

The news of the world is often grim, that's reality. But at times we may feel bombarded with negativity to hear of murder, mayhem, tragedy.
To see a graphic title here, another heinous act committed against the defenceless can prove kind of deflating to the spirits.

As mentioned, the title may really relay the whole story- just the details omitted.
"Cat abuse story" can easily be avoided. Read it or dont - our choice.
"Cat burned on barbecue" can NOT be avoided, can it? The disturbing mental image remains.

Toning down the titles allows each member to scan and select which posts to read in this section, minimizing the "jolt" of reading something you wish you hadnt. :sick:

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
What if we have a thread in the news section that is about nothing and when you post something, you then post in the nothing thread so the title doesn't show up on the main page? A bit of a waste of time but if the titles really bug people?
I meant just so that the title of the thread that you guys find offensive doesn't show up on the index page. You'd have to go IN the forum on news to see the title. You know? The newest thread is the "headline" for the forum, so if the newest thread was a "dummy" thread, you wouldn't see the titles unless you really want to... no?