Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Contract ended

raingirl
June 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I just found out my contract has been terminated for my job. I have just over 2 more weeks of pay, then I'm out of work. The company is going to try and keep me on, and there is a good chance they will, but still a small chance they may not.

I took a risk taking this job. I ended up without three weeks of pay a few months ago, and I'm still paying off my line of credit I had to use to survive. I am so worried now...as it is we are barely surviving. I applied for EI for those 3 weeks of lost pay, and it's been 10 weeks and I still haven't heard anything from them, and now I may need to apply again.

I know I could go back to the job I was doing before, but I really hated it and I'm not sure I want to.

I guess I will have to get my resume out starting today. I'm just so scared and nervous and mad right now!!

And I'm not even sure if I can put this job down on my resume! I was getting paid, but never actually started the job (I was hired to work undercover in a store...but it never happened, so I have been sitting at home getting paid since february). Now it's going to look like i did nothing all that time!

And what about our dog now? I have been able to take him out when needed, what if I get hired on for a 9-5 job, same as my BF? My old job was flexible and I was able to come in 7:30 to 3:30, so that the dog was only alone 7 hours max. There are no dog walking services in our area!

Writing4Fun
June 16th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Oh, raingirl, you're just having rotten luck all around with jobs!! :( If I were you, I'd revamp that resume pronto. What to say about the past weeks on this job ... embellish a little. So you stayed home and did nothing - say you were "on call". Make sure you say it was a short-term contract position, so there's no wondering why you left so soon. Can you apply for some evening shift positions? Do you have a web design/graphics background? If so, you might be able to find some freelance work, which you can supplement with a week-end store job.

Whatever you decide to do, I really hope you find something you love very soon, and that it lasts a really, really long time. Good luck! :fingerscr

raingirl
June 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks. I just feel so helpless. Like I said, I took a chance. I hated my other job, I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown!! There are tons of jobs in what I used to do, so I could get a job there if I am desperate, but it would just be temp for me..as I would still be looking for something more to my liking in the meantime. What sucks though, is I could get REALLY good pay if I went back to my old job, but is it worth the stress??

I am also going to put together a basic resume for a part time job as well. lots of the bakerys around here are hiring for people to decorate cakes, so I will try my hand at that as well since I have experience in that.

I REALLY hope they hire me on with the company that was overseeing what I was supposed to be doing...my manager there KNOWS how much I want to be an investigator full time, and how much I love to investigate. I also got a call about a month back from another investigation company I had put my resume in with. I told them I had found something else, but maybe I should call them up and see if they still have any openings.

I just know I need something around the same pay scale that I am getting now just to survive....so..at least $18 an hour with full time hours...

I just HATE not knowing what is to come. I HATE change as well. My manage said he would contact me early next week and I may have to go in for an interview again with other people from the company, and it could take a week to make a decision whether to hire me on or not...but I should know before they stop paying me for the previous contract.

Grrr...it's just so frusterating. Is life usually like this? I just want a job that I love that I can do on a day to day basis, leave my work at the office, low stress, and LONG TERM! I want something that I can do where I'm not constantly wondering if there is something else I could do better, get paid better, etc etc.

Writing4Fun
June 16th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel! I spent 14 years in an insurance job because the pay was good. I had taken that job "until I can figure out what I want to do with my life". Well, 14 years later, and there I still was. Being "downsized" was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. Sure, we're financially drowning right now. Sure, the future is very uncertain. Sure, the business I'm trying to start isn't exactly taking off with a bang (more like a wimper). But, you know what? I would hate to go back to that insurance company for another job. It would be like selling my soul.

I know it's hard to do right now. But try not to stress yourself out, worrying about what may or may not happen in the next weeks. Life will do what it will. There's not much you can do except roll with the punches. Believe that something good will come of it, that fate is opening a new door for you. You do have options. And you will find that dream job where you finally feel "at home". :thumbs up

raingirl
June 16th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Ahh..don't you love insurance? (NOT!)

What area of insurance did you work in? I did claim for auto injuries. I loved and hated it at the same time. I loved the investigation aspect (because there is a lot of fraud in it..people claiming to be off work who aren't, etc) but I hated how unorganized the whole system was for the making the claims. I also hated that we handled way too many claims per person. I could probably do the same job if there were half as many files to handle. It wouldn't be so bad if you had just enough work to do that you could get it done in a day and not worry about being late on something or such nonsense. I think that was the worst part. Most days I was getting more mail than I could handle in a week (about 50 peices a day!) If someone would be willing to hire me on to work just on the fraud investigation side, I would do it in a second. Aparently property claims are pretty docile and less stress...we only had 2 adjusters for property in our company and they were able to deal with all their mail daily and not be stressed about all the things they had to do.

Well..my resume is all fixed up. I just need to do cover letters and such for each job...

Lizzie
June 16th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Honestly, I don't think there are too many people out there anymore who love their jobs. We do them because we need to work, we need to be out of the home, and we have to get by in life. It's what you do with the time when you are away from work that matters most.

It sucks that you are getting cut--but be opimistic, they hired you once, they may hire you again!

Writing4Fun
June 16th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Oh, I don't know, Lizzie. I mean, sure, we can't all be doctors or astronauts or firepersons or cowboys/girls. ;) And we can't enjoy all parts of our job all of the time. But surely there's something about your job (other than the salary) that makes it worthwhile getting up in the morning? See, I used to have fun doing my job, even if it was grunt work. I enjoyed creative problem solving, and I enjoyed dealing with my clients, and I enjoyed the systems aspect of the job. Towards the end, though, I was dreading every minute of every day, even the parts that I had previously enjoyed. I was stressed all the time, and it was affecting my family. That's when I knew there was something wrong - and it was about that time that the company made the decision for me, which turned out GREAT in the end! :thumbs up

Raingirl, I was in group insurance - you know, the stuff your employer sets you up with. Well, some of these employers didn't want us to handle their employee data, they'd rather cut the turn-around times by doing it themselves. It was my job to get their policies set up in our self-admin system, get all their data populated, and then train their HR people on how to use the system, all of it's ins and outs, reports, etc... It was fun while it lasted, but it's not the same system, not the same clients, not the same job anymore. Ah, well. I had a good run while it lasted. I can't fault the company for doing what they did. I made out pretty well in the end. :highfive:

raingirl
June 16th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Sounds like my job. It was fun for about the first year...then it got worse because we lost 5 people in our department in 6 months. I went from handling 60 claims at one to 130...and because the government imposed an artificial lowering of auto insurance rates, we couldn't afford to hire more people on...so all the people left were stressed to the max. I continued on for just about another 1.5 years and just couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to cry each day when I went into work. I was having nightmares about all the paperwork I had to do, decisions I had to make. Dreading calls from all my annoying claimants (I had one who would collect call us because she didn't have a phone, and wouldn't get off for 4 hours once..she was unstable though and a little off her rocker). I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, I was so depressed and anxious all the time.

The best job I ever had was actually as a cashier at a bookstore. Didn't pay well though. It was so stress free. Basically, you go in, you work the cash, you go home. no worry about whether you forgot to mail this or email this person or finish that report, etc etc. I would love another job like that.

poodletalk
June 16th, 2005, 04:28 PM
The easiest and fastest money I ever made was waitressing at a pub. I worked for "events" rugby parties, bands at the pub etc. I would come home smelling like smoke, (pretty gross), but the tips were great! Over 100$ every saturday night in tips! plus hourly wages!! If you want to have flexi-hours and make some good money, try waitressing.

glasslass
June 16th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I spent 30yrs with a telephone company. The pay and benefits were great, but the stress was horrific. After the first 15yrs, I would be giving up too much to quit! I finally got my 30yrs in, took advantage of a buyout and retired. I now work for half the pay but I enjoy getting up in the morning and going to work at the college library. My regret is putting in that 1st 15yrs and getting trapped by it. You need to do something to pay the bills, but if its not what you want to do for the next 30yrs, keep sending out resumes and applications while working in the meantime.

Bearsmom
June 16th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Raingirl, I saw the post of some of the cakes you had done. Have you ever thought of starting a wedding/occasion cake business? I think you approach the provincial government's small business start up and there are grants....with it being wedding season, you could really do well with that, and it seems like something you love.

To supplement, you could always work retail like you said.

raingirl
June 16th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Bearsmom, I wish I could do cakes at home and sell them, but you have to have a special kitchen for that. It has to be a kitchen registered and certified with health canada (you know, sorta like those codes you see at restaurants). One of the key things you are required to have is a dishwasher, which we do not in our apartment (and we aren't allowed to install one) as you need it to clean and steralize equipment. I could theoretically sell cakes, but if anything happened (like someone got food poisoning) and someone sued me, my tenants liability insurance wouldn't cover it. I would have to get more insurance coverage first to be covered if that happened...and it's not worth it.

I saw that costco bakeries are hiring. I should see about that maybe.

glasslass, that's my fear. A lot of people I know are just doing that job because they either have no education or no where to move up to, and feel they have no choice. At the bookstore I used to work at, a lot of people there were "lifers" being that they had been there working more than 10 years...once you get in it's hard to get out. I don't want that to be me. I have an education and I spent over $40 K on it...it better get me somewhere!

I'm just so unhappy. I was so looking forward to doing this job for a while..now I have to stress out for the next two weeks. I also have to cancel my drivers test that is in early July, as I will hopefully be working by then...

Princesss04
June 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Man I was thinking you could do cakes as well because you are so good at them. But, I never thought about all the other things involved with it. I hate that you are having a hard time! Hoping things get better for you! :D

Writing4Fun
June 16th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Raingirl, if you really wanted to start up your own cake business, you could look into renting out a church kitchen or community centre. It's going to be a lot of work, though. Your poor puppy might miss you.

Check out Costco for sure. I believe the pay is decent - above minimum wage, at least.

raingirl
June 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Writing, never thought about that. I think I will look into it. Even if it were just to do cakes once in a while. I wonder if there is a dishwasher in our community room in our building. I should ask the landlord because if there it, maybe I could make an agreement with her. The room is free to use, you just put a deposit down. Hmm.

In the meantime, I applied to a ton of jobs today. I feel bad, but I had to gate off the computer room from Odin because he was being a stinker and bugging the heck out of me. He just kept trying to jump on my lap and wanted to be petted and such. As soon as I put the gate up he whined a little, then fell asleep. Why is it always when we have important things to do that our pets want to bother us?