Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is going on with my hair?

BeagleMum
June 16th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I take a shower every morning and wash my hair with Garnier Fructis. By the time that I am done blow drying my hair, it feels greasy again. I mean come on, I just washed it. I have tried scrubbing, just washing gently, just conditioning the ends, nothing is working and it seems to be getting worse every day. Almost like that shampoo is doing nothing.

Rita
June 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM
LOL
Try switching shampoo .... sometimes I find if I use the same shampoo for too long it just doesn't really work for me anymore.

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Prob an additive in the shampoo.

raingirl
June 16th, 2005, 01:10 PM
garnier fructis did that to my hair as well as a few other people. It was like a greasy stringy patch of hair around my crown.

I would go out and get some Nutrogena clarifying shampoo to get rid of the gunk, then stop using fructis...

twinmommy
June 16th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Fructis did that to me too. Try a citrus based one --I'm using Citre Shine right now and like it.

charoscoe
June 16th, 2005, 01:43 PM
the problem with alot of drug store shampoos is that they are full of junk. They use waxy fillers which build up on the hair. 2 in 1's are the worst - I wouldn't wash my car in them! Probably better if you change every so often.

angie79
June 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
my hair gets greasy spells as well, my hair dresser told me go go back and forth between shampoos, and to wash ever second day, the more you wash the more it greases in some people so i go back andd forth with head and sholders and suave

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Try Aveda,a little spendy but great shampoo

charoscoe
June 16th, 2005, 01:58 PM
don't use head and shoulders, it causes hair loss :eek: It doesn't fix dandruff it blocks up the pores so dandruff can't get though and eventually your hair won't be able to grow through the build-up on your scalp.

If you have dry scalp you should be using either tea tree shampoo (mildly dry) or a tar based shampoo (very dry). The tar shampoos don't smell the greatest but they work. Soma has a great one - low ph.

One thing to keep in mind if you do decide to switch, you will see flaking for a week or so as the new shampoo will be removing the nasty build up on your scalp.

Sorry, get me talking about hair and I can't shut-up :crazy:

kandy
June 16th, 2005, 04:44 PM
If you live in a humid area, the fructis probably has more conditioning than what you need. It also depends on your hair type. Some shampoos & conditioners do build up in your hair and will leave it feeling greasy. Infusium is probably the worst I have ever had build up in my hair. I had used it for a while until I noticed that if I itched my head, I came away with this gunk under my nails! :yuck: I live in a really dry climate and I have one heck of a time with static and flyaways. My hairdresser gave (excuse me, sold) me a tonic to use on my hair which is awesome - its called pure hair and its made from geraniums. He says that most shampoos are made for the general public in a certain percentage of humidity. Even shampoos that are made for dry hair won't work in my climate. I actually use Aussie products for dry hair and really like them - but I have to use the tonic everytime I wash my hair. He also told me that if you use a good shampoo, you won't need to switch and that if you shampoo with too strong a shampoo, it will strip all the natural oils out of your hair. He says that your hair should not squeak after you wash it - if it does then your shampoo is too strong. Squeaking means you stripped all the natural oils out of it and then your hair tries to fight back by making more oil.

Eleni
June 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM
i second using citra shine, I love that stuff

Eleni

Princesss04
June 16th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I do not like that kind of shampoo it did that to my hair as well! I only use shampoo from the salon! :D

BMDLuver
June 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
ummm, so the fact that I sometimes use dishsoap is probably not a good thing huh? :o

happycats
June 16th, 2005, 10:28 PM
ummm, so the fact that I sometimes use dishsoap is probably not a good thing huh? :o

Don't feel bad, I used Sunlight for years :D

twinmommy
June 16th, 2005, 10:29 PM
well, that depends...what kind of fabric softener you use as conditioner!!heh heh :D

BMDLuver
June 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
well, that depends...what kind of fabric softener you use as conditioner!!heh heh :D
lol, I just rub a sheet over my head when all done. :p

Don't feel bad, I used Sunlight for years
I still use sunlight when camping or at the cottage, keeps the blackflies from eating me alive. :thumbs up

happycats
June 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM

:rolleyes: your crazy!!!!http://bestsmileys.com/silly/21.gif
Fleecy with static control :confused:

Prin
June 16th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Try St-Ives Citrus and Ginseng (yellow shampoo with small grapefruits on it). It's a clarifying shampoo, which means it really gets the build-up out. Followed by the St-Ives Aloe and Echinacea moisturizing shampoo. It's REALLY light conditioner, never greasy.

I also suggest shampooing only every two days and rotating shampoos. I've got really fine hair that gets curly with some shampoos and straight with others, red with some and brown with others, so I have become sort of a shampoo addict (drove my stepmother nuts!!). I have probably around 6 shampoos and 6 conditioners in my tub (actually probably more of each-- I have a really big dedicated shelf for them all). Depending on what my hair is like, I decide which one is best. If my hair is limp, I use the one that makes it curly. If my hair is dry, I use the thickest conditioner I have... So complicated. :)

By the way, of all the products I have tried, the garnier ones are the only ones I haven't bothered to finish before throwing out. I won't buy anymore of their products.

Safyre
June 16th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Always remember to rinse, and repeat as well. I noticed that washing it a second time tends to get rid of the buildup, for me at least, when I was using Herbal Essences.
I use Dove now and don't have the problem

crazyhorse
June 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I have a couple of diffrent shampoos and conditioners on the go at one time. But I have noticed I have to change them with the seasons. Summer I use a stronger shampoo with a lighter conditioner, and winter the oppisite, or use a spray/leavin conditioner. I have been told as well it is good to rotate shampoos every 3 months or so. To be honest I have found the dollar store brands have worked the best for me.

Melinda
June 17th, 2005, 10:13 AM
once a week or every two weeks, give your hair a rince with white vinegar to get rid of build up from shampoo's and creme rinse, you can follow up with a light creme rinse afterwards to cover up the smell. But it will get out all the impurities different shampoo's leave buried at the roots that causes oily hair. A side note...it can also be used on your dog/pup after a swim in chlorinated (spelling?)pools

BeagleMum
June 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Well I went out to the pharmacy to get some new shampoo last night and I ended up getting Herbal Essences. They have a whole new line and I got the berry scented one. My hair is much better today though my head is a bit itchy. I made sure to wash twice to try and get out whatever was in there. Maybe I will try the vinegar thing.

melanie
June 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
BDM you say sunlight soap for camping?? is that the bar of soap or a dishwashing liquid???? do you find it is not too sweet for the flies??? thatnk you for that tip. i will be washing my hair in sunlight when camping from now on.....

i find normal smampoo is soo sweet it attracts the flies with the smell, so i usually dont wash my hair camping, which as you can imagine really sucks and i feel so uncomfortable with dirty hair......

shall get a bar and add it to my camping kit immeadiatly....

lilith_rizel
June 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM
ok, being that you are all wise on shampoos here, maybe I should ask you opnions. My hair has been rather dry lately. Normally it is really smooth. But I think that it is getting damaged from all the sun light that I have been getting. My hair has never felt like this before. It feels like horse hair. Any suggestions on a great shampoo, conditioner, or hair treatment to use? I am using Daily Renual X5 right now, and have been for the past few years and haven't had a porblem with it. Come to think of it, think I might have had this problem last summer too, just not as bad....

melanie
June 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM
wernt you pregger with judith last summer?? and preggers now?? my sisters hair fell out and felt like sandpaper during pregnancy, and is still not fully recovered.

lilith_rizel
June 18th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Yes, that is another thing, my hair is falling out like crazy. It used to be nice and thick, now it has lost half of it. It is driving me crazy. I never did connect it to the pregnancies though. I betcha that is what it is too..... oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with it. I can work on getting my hair back after I have this baby, and after that, no more for 3 years!!!

lilith_rizel
June 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
I might have to find out where my mom gets this one stuff she uses on my youngest sister. Her hair is always frizzy and dry, so she uses this stuff called Pink on her hair, and it does wonders. I am sure I can find it somewhere here.