Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spent the day at the hospital

Schwinn
June 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Yesterday at about 6:45 am, I got a call while I was on the GO train. I was in a dead sleep, and by the time I was awake and had my phone open, they had hung up. For some reason, my cell wouldn't connect with my messages. Then, I tried calling Cheryl. Busy signal. 10 minutes of boucing back and forth between calling home and trying to get my message. Then I finally got through to my messages. "I'm bored. Call me!". Now I'm ticked. She woke me up from a deep sleep to tell me she's bored (she knows I'm on edge everytime my phone rings). Still trying to call, still busy. Then I'm thinking I'd call my dad and send him over to check on her, just to make her feel guilty about getting him to drive over. Then I'm thinking that why would she be up at 6:45 am? She falls into a dead sleep when I leave because she can spread out. Finally, I get through. She says, "Hi Honey! Are you ready for a baby?" Suddenly, I'm stammaring like Porky Pig. "A ba-a ba-a ba-a ba..." She tells me she spoke with the hospital, and they said take our time, but to come in. I start asking the people beside me where we are. No one knows. Finally, we pull into Maple Station. I grab my brief case bag, and my gym bag, apologize to everyone for hitting them trying to get the bags out from under the seats, apologize for stepping on everyone, run down the aisle, run over all the people getting on, and jump off the train. Cheryl says she'll pick me up. "You don't know where it is!" "I know where Maple is! That's where Canada's Wonderland is!" "Sweetheart, I can't see the mountain. All I see are trees and a train track. Not much to go on!" I call my dad who promised to be on stand-by for me. I run in the station to get directions for him. I call Cheryl back. She tells me the hospital said to take our time, since she hasn't had contractions, just a trickle (possible her water broke). Then I find out, this has been going on since 3 am. "WHAT?? You didn't tell me before I left??" "You were very quiet this morning. Good job!" Okay, my wife is nuts, and I'm freaking out. I call my dad to tell him that he can take his time. Apparently, he was doing 135 km down the road by his house. But that was okay, he's now doing 60 km on the 400. Then my step-mom chews me out for not driving downtown in case this happened. I explained I couldn't afford $25 a day for parking plus gas for two weeks. Anyway, my Dad picks me up after waiting for an hour (nearly killed me), and we actually had a few good laughs on the way home. I get home, and I hear the stereo on, so I'm careful, I don't want to scare Cheryl by popping around a corner and out pops Jr. I find her in our room...FAST ASLEEP! Apparently this isn't the emergency she told me it was. She then tells me to have a shower (I don't shower before leaving, because I go to the gym). 2 hours later, we get to the hospital. The put us in a group room behind a curtain, and we can hear the nurses laughing, "Oh, is that the one that sent her husband to work on the GO train?". Long story short, it wasn't her water, and we finally got to leave at 4:30 pm. The dr tells us she is 2 cm dialated. "you might be back tonight". I ask the nurse later, what exactly does that mean if she is dialated. "A big fat stinky freaking nothing. You might be back tonight, you might be back next week". Greeeaaaat. Every 10 mins on the train this morning, I kept grabbing my phone, thinking I could feel it vibrate.

Anyway, that's my excitement. Oh, and she wants me to do the bike race still. (I may show up, do a lap, then go home)

Rita
June 16th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Oh, and she wants me to do the bike race still. (I may show up, do a lap, then go home)
Sounds like you had quite the exciting day!
Will you be able to answer your cell phone while in the bike race?!?!?!? ;) :crazy:
:fingerscr Hope everything works out well for you when it is time to go to the hospital for real :)

BeagleMum
June 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Wow, that sounds like quite the day, glad you made it through ok. Just think, about when the real day actually does come. Good Luck!

lilith_rizel
June 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Wow, sounds like you have had a busy day! Luckily dh had a holiday schedule when our baby came, he only worked every other day. We didn't have any false alarms at all. When I thought I was in labor, we went, and I did have full blown contractions, but I wasn't dialated to keep me there, so they sent me home, saying that I would probably end up coming back within the mext 6 hours. And I did. I took their advise, and sat in a tub of warm water. They said it would reduce the pain of contractions, and boy did it even help. I was actually able to take a short nap, maybe 2 hours, which felt nice being that I was woken up at 5 in the morning becaue I went intl labor, spent the entire day at the hospital, waiting for a dr, and then sent pack home at 9 at night.

twinmommy
June 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
hee hee hee SAME THING (of course not so funny) happened to me. Little trickle...off we went. They did a "litmus" test (I think..i forget :) ) and said that we might be back that night....or in a few days....or in a week......

long story short I was induced 10 days after!!
(.....don't we still shoot horses????) LOL

Good Luck and hugs to Cheryl!!

Princesss04
June 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Well sounds like you had alot of fun! Just think what it will be like when the real time comes! Good luck to you both and the new baby! :D

Writing4Fun
June 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hmmmm.... when my water broke with the first one (at 2:00 in the frickin' AM), it was just a trickle. Um, no, I didn't send hubby to work that day. :p We went to the hospital, they did the lithmus thing, and told me that my water had not broken. By this time, though, I was having contractions, so the doctor came in and checked again, and it had, in fact, broken - the nurses "made a mistake".

Schwinn, keep that bag ready by the door, the cell phone charged, and forget about that bike race, bud. I don't think you'll make it. ;)

Wish your wife luck from all of us.

Schwinn
June 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM
The pressure's off to do the race. The captain told me to relax, do what I have to do, and bring the new member to the August race so they can meet him/her. So now, I'm going to play it by ear. Personally, I'm hoping that it happens in the next 24 hours or so. Work is going to give me the week off when it does happen, so I'll get a long weekend. And Sunday is Father's Day! :D I keep rubbing Cheryl's tummy, "And remember, if you make it by June 19, Daddy wants an X-Box" Seriously, I just want it over, because I'm exhausted, and I can't imagine how poor Cheryl is feeling. I did find out one cool thing, though. The thing they strap to the woman's stomach so it can measure contractions? It makes a noise even if you tap on the stomach. And if you rub her stomach, it sounds like record scratch. Though Cheryl got tired of my drum solo before I did... :D

Cactus Flower
June 16th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Ohhhh that was quite the dress rehearsal!

Well, whatever the "trickle" was, it certainly can't mean NOTHING, can it? We generally don't just trickle for no reason. I say keep a bag packed and the cellphone handy, indeed.

This is very exciting!

lilith_rizel
June 16th, 2005, 02:40 PM
It was easy for me to tell my water broke, mine wasn't a trickle, it was a GUSH! good thing I was relaxing in the tub though, guess it is a pain to clean out of the type of carpet they use in the houses on post....

kandy
June 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM
If she's dilated to 2 - she could go today, she could go next week. Lots of women have a false labor episode - especially with the first one. It shouldn't be too long now! :crazy:

I went into labor on a Friday night (we were at the movies). When the contractions got close enough I woke up hubby and we went to the hospital at about 2 am. I wasn't dilated enough, so they sent us home. We went back at noon the next day because I thought I was puking blood (had forgotten about the strawberry shortcake the night before :p ) and they hooked me up to see where the contractions were at. That's when they decided that I was in really hard labor and they kept me even though I hadn't dilated anymore. Cut to Sunday morning - no sleep, in constant pain - they fill me with morphine (which doesn't work on me) and then end up giving me a drug called pitocin to make me dilate. I had the kid 45 minutes later - the nurse almost had to deliver him in the labor room because they didn't think the doctor was going to make it back in time. Man was I wishing they would've given me the stupid pitocin Friday nite!! Tell Cheryl to hang in there!

Copper'sMom
June 16th, 2005, 06:02 PM
he he he.......it's good practice for ya Schwinn!! I would have loved to have been on that GOtrain just to see the expressions on your face!

Wishing you and Cheryl the best of luck when it's really time!! :grouphug:

Just remember........ breathe!!!!

mona_b
June 16th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Quite the day you had there Schwinn....LOL

With me my water broke sometime in the morning..I woke up at about 7:30am to a VERY wet bet.I actually thought I peed myself...LOL...Once I got to the hospital which was around 8:15am,they were worried about a dry birth.To make a long story short,I was in labour for 4 hours and had her at 4:10pm.And she came 2 weeks early.....LOL

I wish you and Cheryl all the best.Please keep us updated.... :)

glasslass
June 16th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Dress rehearsals are good. They prepare you for the real event! Have to say that I loved reading about it. You have real writing ability! Almost like experiencing it with you! Rather experience with you, than with Cheryl! This is why the wife in labor/panicked father comedy routines always went over so well!

twodogsandacat
June 16th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Dress rehearsals are good. They prepare you for the real event!

True. Best of luck when the real thing happens.

Prin
June 16th, 2005, 11:41 PM
YEY The baby's coming!!!!! eventually...

Good luck! :grouphug:

Safyre
June 17th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Sorry but 2 cm dialated don't mean much. lol
My client that i am doula for, has been 2 cm dialated for 3 weeks. this past week she has been 3 cm
We figure she'll do half the work before actually labouring. lol

ksjduffle
June 17th, 2005, 05:58 AM
When I had my 2 daughters I stayed dialated at 2cm for almost a month but everyone is different GOOD LUCK and I hope that everything goes great and Mommy and Baby will be just fine! Congrats to you !

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 17th, 2005, 07:40 AM
My water broke with my first one. I thought I had peed the bed. I went to the doctor and she said you did not pee the bed. We then went for a huge lunch at a nice Italian Restraunt. Then went to the hopsital and had the baby 18 hours later. My second one took only an hour and I went home the next morning to to get ready for halloween.

Good luck !!!!!! and tell your wife the pain does end!!!

Schwinn
June 17th, 2005, 10:01 AM
She's in Stayner now, taking Daisy to the vet (looks like surgery on her other knee :( ). I just spoke to her, she said that Daisy will be there until at least 1 pm, so she's going to spend the day walking around, see if she can get some "baby" action going. I offered to take her for a run through the woods in the RED RANGER, but she said no. She may change her mind if nothing happens soon, though. She's also upset because I've decided I don't want to do the race. She was looking forward to having a few hours by herself. My thing is,though, that if she calls when I just start my lap, that's an hour and a half to finish (I don't know the site where the course is, so I'd probably have to do the lap to get to the end), plus driving time home (at least another hour), plus packing time. And that's if I don't crash or bonk and the lap goes well. So, I'm thinking I'll go riding in Ravenshoe near my house. I can be out in 20 minutes and home in 5. Or I'll take my Dad to the Jeep store to look around.

lilith_rizel
June 17th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Schwinn, dh would purposly hit bumps or potholes on the road with me, just because he knew I would complain. He also knew that I was very ticklish, so what would he do, tickle me until I had a contraction, and when it went away, he would do it again. Probably shouldn't have told you that...... :D

CyberKitten
June 17th, 2005, 12:02 PM
A patient at our hospital recently had her baby on a busy bridge on the way to the health center!! They had a boy but opted not to name him after the bridge, lol