Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bark collers??

angie79
June 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM
anyone know anything about bark collers and are they safe and work, or do they hurt and not work? anyone tried them????

Cooper is a usually quiet 6 mth miniture schnauzer but when he gets excited and wants to play his bark is so load and piercing, he does this around us and mostly other dogs, and we are currently babysitting my parents 2 dogs another mini 3years and a sharpei 9 years(who wont play with him) but he keeps trying. so we didn't sleep a wink last night

i try to muzzle his nose but cant get there fast enough or he tries to play nip me, just worried if i don't do anything this could get to be a constant barking thing

please some one let me know

thanks angie :confused:

BMDLuver
June 16th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Try to find someone who can loan you a citronella collar or contact some pet stores to see if they rent them. They are costly to purchase but can be very effective with small dogs. The dogs can learn to empty the cannister if they persist in barking so it's best to try and rent one first.

Dogastrophe
June 16th, 2005, 08:21 AM
You may find that time outs are more effective at controlling the barking rather than attempting to stop it outright by using a bark collar (especially one that produces an electric shock).

My 7-mos silky X will bark at my older (7 - 8 ish mutt) to try to force him into a play session. As the older one doesn't want much to do with him, he'll continue to bark until he gets a rise out of the older one. We'll let him try to start a play session for about half a minute then will try to quiet him with the hand over the muzzle (which has the same result that you described ... those little dogs are hard to catch!) then if he continues, we will tell him that he's getting a time-out and move him to our bathroom for about a min or two. He generally comes out and starts to play with something else, forgetting about barking.

True to his terrier heritage, your mini Sch will likely grow into a fabulous, vigilant early warning system when someone approaches your door. Last thing I would want to do with mine would be to accidently stop all barking, thus removing an important form of their communication.

angie79
June 16th, 2005, 08:21 AM
does that hurt or harm thier eyes?
i did not know that they rent equiptment like that out

Dogastrophe
June 16th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Try to find someone who can loan you a citronella collar or contact some pet stores to see if they rent them. They are costly to purchase but can be very effective with small dogs. The dogs can learn to empty the cannister if they persist in barking so it's best to try and rent one first.

How does the citronella collar work? Does it trigger a spray when the dog barks?

BMDLuver
June 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM
The collar emits a fine mist just under their nose. They don't like the smell of it so they stop barking. I know of many people that have used them with no ill effects to their dogs. I know one person in particuliar who just has to pick the collar up now and her dog stops barking. I agree with Dogastrophe that it's not a good idea to stop a dog from barking completely but to teach a command when you want them to stop. My old gal we used to say "enough" and she would stop. Took a while but she got it and that way she barked when she heard something on our property to alert us and if we checked it out and was nothing would tell her "enough" and she'd settle back down again.

Beaglemom
June 16th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Citronella collars work by releasing a spray towards the dog's face everytime it barks. It can be effective but it does have it's draw backs. Although, IMO it is much more humane than the shock collars. I have provided a few links that describe the collar and how it works as well as some of the draw backs.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/96/6.6.96/barking.html
http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/citronella.htm
http://www.dogproblems.com/art22.htm

Daisy's Owner
June 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Against my better judgement, we have a bark collar that shocks. It has six different levels that increase with the persistence of the barking. It cost us $100. The ONLY time I use it is when I NEED Daisy not to bark. I use it with the quiet command. The rest of the time I work on the quiet command alone. I have seen improvement. Probably not as fast as other people using a collar, but like I said I don't use it all the time.

angie79
June 16th, 2005, 08:50 AM
lol thanks for the links they contradict eachother, guess there is no right answer, but it did give me an idea, if i take lemon juice and dilute it and put it in a spray bottle, anyways cooper had a time out in the bathroom and came back yelling at austin poor austin on my lap now saying protect me. i don't know where all the energy comes from or the volume

keep the ideas coming please

Beaglemom
June 16th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I skimmed the articles in the link, kinda figured they would be contradicting eachother, but like most things not everyone agrees with the same method. I thought they would be helpful in making your decision though. The citronella collar doesn't work for every dog.

I've heard that if you want a dog to stop barking on command, teach it to bark on command first and then it becomes easier to control it.

My dog gets a little yappy herself when she is excited or wants something. Usually we just tell her quiet or that's enough. She is usually pretty good. She is quiet when no one is home though.

Since this only happens when your dog is overly excited, maybe finding a way to divert his attention to something else might help. Or teaching him the settle command so you can sleep at night.

Daisy's Owner
June 16th, 2005, 09:17 AM
but it did give me an idea, if i take lemon juice and dilute it and put it in a spray bottle,

Absolutely. That is a great idea. That is what we were using in the beginning as well. What I found with the spray bottle, was, it wasn't anywhere around when I needed it, or I couldn't get to it fast enough. But it did work well.

angie79
June 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Angela I haven't used it but I'm ON GUARD, spoke too soon. he was intreged by the noise lol should of pumped it after filling it, just hope the cooper doesn't drive the other 2 over teh edge have to go out today!!!!

Neither dog has ever been vicious thank god
No choice

angie79
June 16th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Wont let me post pic's or maybe i just don't know how, thought i'd show you the little guy we are talking about there are 2 pics with austin in them as well
they aren't new pic's cooper is much larger then austin now

http://www.dogster.com/?128571

Daisy's Owner
June 16th, 2005, 10:21 AM
should of pumped it after filling it

Oh, yes. That's right. Another pitfall I found. Gravity. The bottle that I was using would lose it's pressure if I left it too long.

Cooper is a little cutie.

BMDLuver
June 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I would not put lemon juice in a spray bottle and aim it at the dog. What happens when it gets in the dog's eyes?

tenderfoot
June 16th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I have seen shock collars that have burned quarter size holes in a dogs neck because the dog got into such a barking frenzy that the adrenalyn rush took over and he no longer felt the shock - so he barked long and hard until his flesh burned. - Enough said.
Squirt bottles can work at first - until the dog learns that if you are far enough away from the bottle he can still bark - he never really learns not to bark - he just learns to outsmart the bottle.
The Citronella collar can work on some dogs, but some dogs actually learn to like it -so it quickly loses its effectiveness.
Also - some of these devices can be activated by the barking of other dogs and then your dog gets zapped - doesn't sound fair.
Barking at his buddies is bad manners - you would not permit a child to do it. But you must create the situation in order to teach correct manners. It is best to teach him not to bark. Have him on the leash and teach him to be "quiet". Set him up with the other dogs and everytime he starts - you give him a leash correction and tell him "quiet' in a short/sharp tone. When he is quiet praise him soflty, The second he starts up again (and he will) you correct him. He needs to learn that his bad choices will get pressured by you and his good choices will get love and attention.
This means the more he is on the leash attached to you the more chances you have to teach. It also takes him out of recess and starts to teach him impulse control - a sign of maturity.
Dogs learn in the moment - not seconds later - so you must create the opportunity for him to learn and you must respond to his good & bad behaviors in the micro-second they occur.