Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitty with a leg fracture

kitkitkitty
June 16th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I hope someone may be able to help us with a answer. about 3 months ago i came home from work and dante my oldest male kitty was fine. about a half hour later he started yelling that high pitched scream that tells you something is wrong. when i got to him he was dragging his left foot. I took him straight to the emergency vet and had him examined. the hospital couldnt find anything wrong and gave him some pain meds and told us to keep him off of his paw for a day or two that he probably just twisted it. Monday came and he still wasn't bearing alot of weight on his leg so we took him to his regular vet. he also could not find anything wrong he thought it may be a torn ligament but wanted to give him a week. 3 days later he started limping on his other leg. Again i called are regular vet and he had us bring him in the next day again he to x rays but this time they did find a problem he had fractured his right hip and had to have surgery. he has had the surgery and is doing better :o but not a 100% and we don't know if he will be. The question that is still bothering us is that his vet indicated that the only way he could have sustained this injury is if he had been hit by a car. That is just not possible he is a inside only kitty. Are vet doesn't have any answers and neither do we :confused: . If anyone can help shed some light on this i would greatly appreciate it.

Lucky Rescue
June 16th, 2005, 10:09 AM
What I"m wondering is why the emergency vet didn't do x-rays right away. I hate to think of how much unnecessary pain your cat was in because they didn't.

As for what happened to your cat - that's a tough one. Takes quite a bit of force to fracture a hip bone. Cats get themselves into all kinds of trouble with their curiosity.

IF you figure it out let us know.

You are great cat mom!!:)

kitkitkitty
June 16th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Actually the emergency room vet did do xrays and found nothing. This whole this is so bazarr. Since he is are rescue kitty we have very little information on him. So we dont know if it could be a genetics issues
kitkitkitty :)

Lucky Rescue
June 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
How old is your cat? Did the vet find anything unusual about the bones in the x-ray?