Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Exercise and jobs?

Lola'sMom
June 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I have a 1 yr old Rottie/Lab mix and I was just wondering if anyone knows how much exercise she should be getting. We go out for a 45 min-1hr walk a day and do a lot of playing in the backyard. Is that enough? She seems to be more and more restless. I lost two pairs of shoes this weekend (new thing never touched them before) :evil: Also, I keep reading that dogs need a job to do, can anyone give me an example of a job I can train her to do? My first dog and I'm trying to do my best but I've go a lot still to learn.

Thanks

Lissa
June 15th, 2005, 11:01 PM
You have a pair of very active breeds on your hands. Am I correct in my reading, that she gets only 1 lengthy walk a day? Is this an off-leash walk? If it's not off-leash then she is definately NOT getting enough exercise - even with the playing in the backyard.
I think she is definately telling you that she needs a job or something to occupy her time with. Aside from suggesting the usual: sending her doggy daycare, have a dog walker come, leaving her with a kong or some interactive-treat dispensing toy...I think she would benefit from another walk during the day/evening.
Did/do you take her to obedience classes? Sometimes just training and practicing what your dog knows helps to relieve some mental boredom.
As for a job...do you mean something that you 2 can do together as an activity, like agility? Or are you thinking something she can do alone - like maybe leaving treats around the house for her to sniff out while your at work?
I own an American Foxhound and we go off-leash hiking for about 4 hours total a day. On busier days we only go for 1, two hour off-leash hike and a couple of short on-leash breaks. It can be hard if not impossible to invest so much time when you are working, so if your rottie/lab is that bored then your only option might be to hire someone or drop her at doggy daycare a few times a week...
Lastly, don't give her the opportunity to destroy stuff, get them outta her reach - I learned that the hard way with my dog too - books were no match for his teeth :) !!!

Daisy's Owner
June 16th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I have to say Doggy Day care is Grrrrr-reat! Daisy goes Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.

Lissa had some great ideas. obedience class. Agility. Therapy. Search and Rescue. A kong or some other treat dispensing toy. Flyball.

Dogs need to exercise their minds as well as their bodies. I have been told that an hour of mind exercise is more tiring that an hour walk.

levimh
June 16th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Besides the 45-1 hour walk, what about walking her in the morning before work? I know a man that walks around here with his dog all night (it seems). He gets home from work about 6 and then walks his dog for 3-4 hours. This dog is a Rotty/Doberman/GSD mix.

You could also try leaving the TV or radio on, if you don't crate her when you're not at home. However, like Lissa said, don't let her chew things.

If she can't be left alone without chewing things, I would suggest you keep her crated when left alone. Leave her stuffed toys and kongs and bones (that little pieces can't break off of) and anything else she plays with in the crate. Have someone come in and bring her out during the day.

Or what about a playmate? Cat maybe? Or a friends' dog?

Another suggestion is dog parks. My dog loves the park and it always wears him out (if he's not already). Or maybe take your dog to a big field somewhere and play ball or frisbee - that's a sure fire way to tire a dog. One last suggestion...you could meet someone (on this board perhaps) that's in your area and meet for a doggy playdate. :)

Lucky Rescue
June 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Working dogs who have no job can be destructive. Is it possible to you to get her a harness and a cart and have her pull it on your walks? Or get her a doggy backpack to carry? You can gradully add more weight to it.

This would give her a purpose and perhaps make her feel more satisfied. Also, the exercise would be more strenuous!:)

nymph
June 16th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I agree with all suggestions given so far. Do you know that giving your puppy a 15 minutes training session is just as good as giving him a 30 minutes walk? When puppies use their brain to learn something, they actually use more energy than physical exercise.

Lately we discovered another fun game with Diego: make him chase water coming out of garden hose. He loves that game! 20 minutes of this game, he crashes on the floor. Besides, my lawn and garden are so dry these days, it's like killing 2 birds with one rock. :D

Both my husband and I work full time during the day, so we have to be quite creative in giving our puppy enough excercise. :)

Lissa
June 16th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Reading what everyone else has suggested about ways your dog can use up more energy reminded me of Dodger.
He went for a 20 minute swim and was passed out for the rest of the day and evening - when it usually takes 4 hours to keep him content! So if you have access to a safe body of water - it might help tucker out your girl!

Dogastrophe
June 16th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Lately we discovered another fun game with Diego: make him chase water coming out of garden hose. He loves that game! 20 minutes of this game, he crashes on the floor. Besides, my lawn and garden are so dry these days, it's like killing 2 birds with one rock. :D

Both my husband and I work full time during the day, so we have to be quite creative in giving our puppy enough excercise. :)

Lucy will chase the light on the floor from flash lights, watch reflections, etc. She will go for an hour if you let her. Monty, my oldest, looks at her like she is plain nuts.

nymph
June 16th, 2005, 01:48 PM
That's hilarious! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/22.gif

tenderfoot
June 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Jobs are more than just doing agility a few times a week. Jobs are the simple little things you can ask your dog to do throughout the day. Lots of sits, downs, stay, heel right, heel left, stop, find it, wait, rollover, etc. It is about keeping their mind busy in everyday life. It can be just as exhuasting to work mentally as it can to work physically - plus you are building manners and relationship with your dog.