Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Man in kitten beating gets 6 months in jail

heidiho
June 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM
A Maricopa County judge today gave a voice to a victim who had none and it is a case of justice for a kitten.

It was a kitten beaten with a shovel. It was a brutal case of animal abuse and today a court set a new precedent in punishing crimes committed against animals.

At just 10 weeks old, the kitten was no match for Enrique Luna Chitica and the shovel he carried.

It was a shovel he used in May 2004 to beat the kitten so badly, it had to be put to sleep.

Chitica never offered an explanation and a jury was unable to reach a verdict the first time he was tried earlier this year.

But a second jury convicted him on animal cruelty charges and on Wednesday, a judge made sure that Chitica realized just how seriously the state takes his crime.

Now, he's facing six months in jail, three years of probation, anger management counseling and community service along with $1,000 in fines.

Kim Noetzel of the Arizona Humane Society said it is the stiffest sentenced handed down in a case of animal abuse in Maricopa County. But she believes the sentence will set a precedent to show animal cruelty will not be tolerated.

And she said his defense argument that in Mexico, where Chitica comes from, it is perfectly acceptable to throw away unwanted animals just didn't wash.

"The judge very eloquently pointed out cultural differences or not, what he did was deplorable. That it was a violent act, and he needs to be held accountable and we couldn't agree more," she said.

Chitica begins his jail term immediately.

Chitica will be allowed out on work release to support his five children.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.
Interactive

Sound off: Discuss this story

Stay in touch: Free Breaking News e-mails

Watch this: azfamily.com video archive

heidiho
June 15th, 2005, 07:18 PM
At least finally someone gets jail time for animal abuse ,i always read how it happend never get see what happens to the person..................

charoscoe
June 15th, 2005, 09:50 PM
You know, I really don't think the punishments for animal abuse and neglect are near harsh enough.

Six months is nothing. There has to be something terribly wrong with someone who could do this.

There was a puppy mill bust here in Ontario (2nd offence) and I think they only got a few months and a minimal fine. If the punishments were harsher these people may be less likely to reoffend.

mrjohndoe
June 16th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Good. Finally some judges are starting to make a stand.

Six months is nothing. There has to be something terribly wrong with someone who could do this.

You're talking about a system that sentences murders & rapists to house arrest. I'm surprise we haven't seen house arrest imposed for brutal animal abuse...yet!

There was a puppy mill bust here in Ontario (2nd offence) and I think they only got a few months and a minimal fine. If the punishments were harsher these people may be less likely to reoffend.

I salute your sense of optimism in these people!

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I agree is should be longer but at least it is something,,

kandy
June 16th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I agree that the sentence is better than nothing. A man here who duct taped his golden's mouth shut because it was barking got a $50 fine and no jail. He might've thought twice if the fine would've been as high as $1000.

heidiho
June 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I just dont get it,there has got to be stiffer punishments for animal abuse,they are living breathing creatures that feel pain ,and something has to change,i know out here they are giving a 5000. reward for leads to finding someone who put a puppy in a dumpster.....................I just cant believe all the abuse here..............................