Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pee's/poo's in house

Golden Girls
June 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Lady surrended this dog to Montegerie SPCA

Lucky Rescue
June 15th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I'm glad to hear she's getting the dog spayed. Dogs in heat will sometimes soil in the house and become temperamental due to surging hormones.

Next, she needs to stop yelling and go back to basics and treat this dog as though it were an unhousetrained young puppy. Confinement (in a crate or X-pen when no one can watch her), regular outings, PATIENCE, consistancy and praise will work better. Obviously the dog is not housetrained. She may know that when she is being yelled at she has done something wrong, but may not know just what.

Letting her have the run of the house is setting her up for failure and more yelling. Every time she soils in the house, the behavior is reinforced.

Tiny breeds can be very difficult to completely housetrain. Sometimes litterboxes or pee pads work. Here's a link on housetraining adult dogs, but ONE method must be chosen and stuck with - no trying for a day or two, then trying something else.
Housetraining adult dogs (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/htgen.htm)

"FLUFFY" is so damn beautiful though really nice character extremely extremely territorial she almost took MY HEAD off when I went to meet her with my two dogs.

How long has this woman had the dog? She should be allowing her to get comfortable and confident in her own home before introducing to other people and/or dogs. This dog has been abandoned once at least and is probably insecure which could account for the aggression.

This poor dog needs to be given a chance and not dumped again. I hope things will work out.

toby's tracy
June 15th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Do you know if she has a crate for the dog? Or if she keeps the dog in a very small, restricted area? That seemed to work for my guy. We began by keeping him in the kitchen with the cage open for him to get used to. The area was small and easy to clean when there was an accident. This quickly became his little world and he stopped 'going' in that area.

Now he sleeps all night in his crate and can hold it in for 7 hours so we can sleep all night, too!

Hope this is helpful!