Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Outdoor Dog Kennel

wawazat
June 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I have bought a fairly large dog kennel 12'(L)x7'(W)X6'(H) and was wondering what people would recommend on the bottom? It will used primarily for ours dogs to "do their business". I dont want them to be locked in there for long periods of time!

I have seen limestone and gravel but, wondered what other people have used? Right now there is sparse grass and mainly dirt...its a worn area of the backyard!

Thanks![/

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM
i suppose that depends on what your willign to spend,

grass would be most comfortable for your pets but the urine would likely ruin it quickly

gravel wouldnt ruin but I dont know how comfy it is

cement would be easy to clean and sterilise especially if its the spot for them to deficate. ALso a dog that is a digger cant dig and escape with the cement bottom, so in that respect you would only need to worry about the top.

gravel is probably the easiest most cost effective way to go if you dont have diggers.

Eleni

wawazat
June 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the ideas Eleni!

I only want the kennel to be the area where they "do their business" so, comfort isnt an issue...other than for that reason, they would be in there if I was mowing the lawn or doing something that might injure them...I was worried that if I left the grass it would die soon and then its just mud when it rains! It would be nice to perserve the rest of the lawn as much as we can!

Lizzie
June 15th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't see why you can't leave it as it is then if they won't be in there long....rocks won't be comfy but soft ground will be. They may even find it hard to do their business on rocks...or concrete.

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Gravel I don't like much, 'things' seem to get trapped between the stones..messy for picking up. Also traps the odors and bacteria. The ground would be just fine and yes as another said, softer :D