Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suggestions for idiot neighbour AGAIN

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 12:33 PM
So last night, I take the dogs out for a walk, and just as we were returning home, my idiot neighbour comes down his driveway, stops at the bottom of the driveway, and says, "that little one snapped at me the other day, that's a very bad habit you know". Having had enough of this guy's crap, I said, "for once and for all, Don, keep your damn hands off our side of the fence!". Neighbour from across the street had come over and Don says to her, "watch out, that little one is vicious". Kaos goes over to her, plops down on her feet and gives her a paw. "Yeah" she says, "he's real mean." Don moseyed off, I was talking to the neighbour, and find out she hasn't spoken to him in over two years as he was constantly telling her what to do with her yard, house, kids, etc.

Just then, I noticed a lot of tension on Kaos' lead (Bear was just being his usual trollop self getting a scritch from the nice neighbour), I turn around, Kaos is being held in the sit position by the neighbour (and I mean FORCED down), the neighbour has got Kaos' head by the ears, and he's rubbing his head and saying, "you HAVE to like me". You could see from the expression in Kaos' eyes that he was ready to lose it. Just then my husband came out, and I got him to take the dogs in right away before the neighbour lost his nose!

I am getting so pissed off at this guy and his constant nagging at the puppy!

I'm not sure what to do, other than try to keep the puppy away from this guy. I just don't want the liability if Kaos does bite him! I think that Kaos is picking up my vibes of not liking the neighbour, and I also worry that Bear will LOSE it if Kaos gets frightened enough. (Bear's pretty protective of our son and the puppy.) Then what?

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Omg, I think you could be up for "Loser Neighbor of the Year Award" :rolleyes:

This is something that you should be writing down, I think you said earlier in the thread that you were.

If he harrasses you or your animals, can he not be reprimanded?

Instruct him to stay away from them as his behaviour is inappropriate. :mad:

It's losers like this that make the most noise when they DO get bit.

Poor you, I don't know, I would've clobbered this idiot by now. :evil: :mad:

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I hate to ask this but does your insurance company (homeowners) know you have dogs and are they okay with the breeds.

I'd def look into increasing your liability just incase stupido neighbour acts his part as he seems to be doing.

Not a lot you can do with someone like that. Who owns the fence on his side you or him? If you do attach privacy lattice to it to keep his hands out and your poochies safe.

When you see him walk the other way with the dogs but be friendly enough so he doesn't deliberately do anything stupid so give a wave, if even you don't mean it from the heart.

Writing4Fun
June 15th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I feel for ya, Bearsmom!

We're on the opposite side of that problem. It's the wacko neighbors who have agressive dogs. We've lived here for 6 years and they still bark and growl at us when we go out into our yard. Well, a few days ago, I was out there with the baby. He wandered over to ther fence and, before I could get to him, he hung onto it for support. One of their dogs came at him, teeth bared & snarling. Well, Phoebe (who I never thought would do anything of the sort, she's so submissive to them usually) goes running at the fence, puts herself between the baby & the dogs and warns them off with raised hackles and a growl. Oh, she got some serious lovin' that day! :highfive:

Let's see ... what type of fence do you have? Can you extend the height a little and then line the whole thing in tight chicken wire so he can't poke his fingers through?

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM
thats awful

and its even more awful that the police cant do anything.

I hope the neighbor starts leaving you alone soon

Eleni

Dogastrophe
June 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Essentially what is happening is that you and your (good) neighbours are being systematically bullied/harrassed by this bad neighbour. Ask him to refrain from touching your dogs without your express permission.

For him to lay his hands on your dog is unfortuantely not taken as serious as if he were to do it to your child. However, now is not the time to give up all hope. File a formal complaint about the ongoing harrassment that you've had to endure and see if you can get your other neighbours to do the same. Send a copy of your complaint to your municipal councillor and mayor (basically get it on file with them). If the police refuse to intervene, start working up the ladder i.e. speak with a desk seargent, deputy pol chief, pol chief, etc. Let your councillor know that you are getting no help and are worried that things may escalate with this neighbour and ask them to intervene. (Alternatively, put a large quantity of rotten meat / dead squirrels in his soffets, behind his siding, in his dryer vent, and everywhere else you can conceal it ... he'll be so preoccupied with trying to find the source of the horrible smell that he may forget about bullying for a while :evil: )

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Alternatively, put a large quantity of rotten meat / dead squirrels in his soffets, behind his siding, in his dryer vent, and everywhere else you can conceal it ... he'll be so preoccupied with trying to find the source of the horrible smell that he may forget about bullying for a while

That is SOOOOO bad LOL you're nuts :eek:

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM
the only thing I can think of to rid yourself of this idiot (short of the obvious LOL)....is being nice to him.

crazy I know, but I was bullied bad in highschool, and the best way to disempower someone like this is to be sickeningly, disgustingly, nice to them.

Be irritating. Ask him tons of annoyingly useless-just-to chat-questions. Invite him to your bbqs. Get in his face before he gets in yours. Make it so that HE can't take it and wants to get the H$ll away from YOU!!! :evil:

Graspin' at straws for ya over here!!

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM
This is something that you should be writing down, I think you said earlier in the thread that you were.
Yes, I document every interaction with him.

If he harrasses you or your animals, can he not be reprimanded?
Unfortunately, no, he hasn't done anything illegal other than be a huge pain in the assssssss.

Instruct him to stay away from them as his behaviour is inappropriate. :mad:

Have already told him not to touch the dogs when they're out back, even using the excuse that Kaos is in training, and we're teaching him certain things (like not to jump up, and then I see this moron calling him to the fence and getting him to put his paws up)

It's losers like this that make the most noise when they DO get bit.
Kaos wouldn't do much damage, but Bear could.

Poor you, I don't know, I would've clobbered this idiot by now.
Have thought about it MANY times.

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I hate to ask this but does your insurance company (homeowners) know you have dogs and are they okay with the breeds.
Hehehe funny thing was when we bought this house, we called the insurance people. While I was on the phone with the adjuster, Bear barked. Insurance guy said, "and what kind of dog is that?" "Um, chihuahua?" I replied with a laugh in my voice. So they sent an adjuster over to meet the dogs, determined that because they are mixed breeds, and of a non threatening demeanour, the insurance we carry is minimal because they are non threatening breed (we did up to 500 thou liability just in case some dummy broke into our house and got attacked-hey you just never know).

I'd def look into increasing your liability just incase stupido neighbour acts his part as he seems to be doing.
I don't think we'll carry any more liability. As of now, anytime the dogs are out back, either my husband or I is with them.

Not a lot you can do with someone like that. Who owns the fence on his side you or him? If you do attach privacy lattice to it to keep his hands out and your poochies safe.
The privacy lattice is up, but it's only a 5 foot fence (we are going to be replacing the fence as soon as we have the $). Problem is, I've seen him just about hanging from his waist over the fence (it's a common dividing fence between the two properties) trying to coax the dogs over to him.

When you see him walk the other way with the dogs but be friendly enough so he doesn't deliberately do anything stupid so give a wave, if even you don't mean it from the heart.

Biggest challenge is we are right beside each other, so no matter which way we go, we're going to meet him if he's outside.

I guess my biggest fault is that I was raised to always be polite and considerate to the elderly, and I'm still having a hard time challenging him. I don't like conflict, but the next fence that goes up is going to be 12 feet tall!!!!

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Just thought of something...what about a huge cedar hedge? How tall do those babies grow?????

Writing4Fun
June 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately, no, he hasn't done anything illegal other than be a huge pain in the assssssss.
Surely there are laws against being an assssss... There seem to be laws for everything else... :rolleyes:

I like the "kill him with kindness" idea. :p Bake him a really disgusting cake. Stop him at every opportunity and offer advice about what he should do with his garden, how his shingles need replacing, what he should do about those ugly window coverings, etc... ;)

Cedar hedges can grow to be huge, but it takes a long time.

sammiec
June 15th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Reading your threads about pesky neighbours have me scared! LOL! We're moving at Sat. and the real estate agent told me on Monday that the man that lives next door is an "older fellow that knows everything about the neighbourhood." I am SOOOO hoping that he's NOT like your neighbours!!! We'll have a heck of a time with him and our dog!!!

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Reading your threads about pesky neighbours have me scared! LOL! We're moving at Sat. and the real estate agent told me on Monday that the man that lives next door is an "older fellow that knows everything about the neighbourhood." I am SOOOO hoping that he's NOT like your neighbours!!! We'll have a heck of a time with him and our dog!!!

We were and still are very pleasant with these people, I just choose not to engage him too much in conversation...lest the advice be forthcoming.

Don't worry about the neighbour prior to meeting him, I'm sure you've got far bigger things to worry about.

What kind of dog do you have?

chico2
June 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Bearsmom,about Cedar-hedges,they will grow as tall as you want them to grow...I have a cedar-hedge between us and our neighbor and there is also a chainlink fence,we keep it trimmed at about 8 feet and they are great for privacy.I would recommend you put one up,right now they are pretty cheap to buy....my"bitchy"neighbor across from me,put one up so she would not see the kids next door to her.
So,we have a hedge at the back(neighbors hedge)and beside us a cedar-hedge,the street-side has a 7 foot wood fence...NOBODY can se what we are doing in our yard :D

sammiec
June 15th, 2005, 03:40 PM
What kind of dog do you have?

A pit bull.

Rick C
June 15th, 2005, 03:54 PM
When we lived in Calgary, in our backyard, we had a fence that was about seven feet high and solid wood AND a hedgerow that was about 15 feet high inside the fence.

Impenetrable.

Don't know if you have room for that but . . . . its an answer.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Safyre
June 15th, 2005, 04:12 PM
We just had a new person move into the co-op who my mtoher had an encounter with the other day.I live in the first row of townhouses so the sidewalk in front is the city sidewalk. She was walking Justice on it and this neighbour comes out to yell at her telling her she can't walk Justice there as it gets her dogs upset. My mom said her dogs were growling and fake biting ... lil breeds dunno what they were.
I can't WAIT to meet this one

Luvmypit
June 15th, 2005, 04:13 PM
sammiec I am moving next week also and am also weary but mainly because of the breed of dog we have. Right now they actually have a pit bull the house we bought. Im afraid the neighbours are relieved that the pit bull is moving out,,.. and then here we come with another! hee hee. I really hope that its going to be ok.
Good luck in your move!

SarahLynn123
June 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM
We used to live in a small town and some bad neighbours moved in beside us. Other then pushing their extreme religous believes on my sister and I, they didn't seem that bad. My parent both had to work out of town for a few days and my sister and I stayed home. (I was 17, my sis 14) we had a really close neighbour on the other side looking out for us and social services shows up! The bad neighbours called them and now my sister and I were dealing with them and had to prove that we were well taken care of! My parents got home and my father went over with his short temper and we never had a problem again. but....when we sold the house to a young family, the husband worked out of town and the wife was a very young, quiet stay at home mom. The bad neighbours decided they didn't like her using the fire place so they took their hose and aimed water at the chimney and filled the fire place and house with water until the cops showed up!!! Poor girl was all alone dealing with the mess and the psycho's. He got thrown in jail but I haven't heard anything since.

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 04:21 PM
A cedar hedge would be a great idea :D

BMDLuver
June 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Go to the nearest feed mill and buy a cheap fencer. Hook the fencer up on the "bad neighbour" side with just using a top strand. If he puts his arm over he gets zapped. He can't complain about it because what was his hand doing over your fence in the first place? Next send a registered letter asking him to have no interaction with your dogs of any nature.

He's a royal pain in the butt anyway so why not just permanently piss him off.

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I just can't help but wonder exactly who these "helpful souls" think they are! I would never consider telling neighbours where to plant things, that their grass is too long, etc etc.

We do have enough room to jam cedars in along their fence side, although I'm sure they'll disagree with the shade of green, the fact that they cannot see our yard...etc...etc...etc.

I'd love to replace the fence, but there are far bigger priorities with the roof needing replacing.

Maybe I should plant a money tree.

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Go to the nearest feed mill and buy a cheap fencer. Hook the fencer up on the "bad neighbour" side with just using a top strand. If he puts his arm over he gets zapped. He can't complain about it because what was his hand doing over your fence in the first place? Next send a registered letter asking him to have no interaction with your dogs of any nature.

He's a royal pain in the butt anyway so why not just permanently piss him off.

Am liking your idea. PS my stupid rosebush shed its petals all over the rest of the garden. Hubby claims he was being romantic and laid them all out by hand.

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 04:49 PM
A pit bull.

Well you know you're going to get flack from this guy, especially if he's not a dog lover of any kind.

When we moved to our place with Bear, people were terrified of him until they realized he's a huge sucky poo. This guy keeps thinking Bear will clear the fence and attack him. Maybe if I keep tossing steaks over the fence, he will. I think I just find it so amusing because he claims to have been a lab breeder before, so you'd think he'd be used to large dogs.

Now if I could just get his corgi to stop pooping all over our front lawn....

melanie
June 15th, 2005, 05:00 PM
i dont get the problem in this post, yeah sure he was a bit rough with the pup but from what you said he seems to want your dogs to like him, he patted your dog didnt he?? and unwated advice, well thats humans and may be anothers way of reaching out...

perhaps because of this neighbors past stupidity your a bit on edge with him now and take his actions as direct threats or something??? i jsut dotn get what the problem was, yeah i see it as a bit annoying but if the neighbor will like your dog why antagonise the situation????

and as far as corgi on lawn, r u serious,, i hate to say it and i dont mean to sound harsh but man 'Get over it'...

as a renter i have had some wild neighbors, as long as they dont steal my stuff, keep me up all night or be violent i dont really care what they do....perhaps you need to chill out and take a step back and take a good look at this situation.....

i really odnt want to sound mean, but i just dont get what the problem really is???

JDG
June 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Why not post a sign on your fence,

'Notice: A friendly dog lives here, but
BEWARE - Neighbour may bite'

Dogastrophe
June 15th, 2005, 07:44 PM
You can purchase a motion detector water spray system (they are used to scare geese, deer and the like when they venture to close to a garden). Set the detector up so when buddy peers over your fence he takes a shot of water in the head. If he complains just tell him that you've been having problems with pigeons and heard that this was a great deterent. :evil:

Schwinn
June 16th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'd replace the fence with a guillotine. He'll only reach over once...

As for the Corgi pooping on the lawn, yea, that is a big deal. A)why should you clean up someone else's mess? B)it damages the lawn, and I know myself, I work hard at keeping my lawn in good shape, and spend good money on it. Put it in an envelope, put it in his mail box with a note, "Your dog dropped something"

Eleni
June 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/ROFLMAO.gif

sammiec
June 16th, 2005, 11:13 AM
ROTFLMAO!!! OMG Scwhinn, you're hilarious!

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Good 1 Schwinn

chico2
June 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Aww Schwinn,you are pricelesshttp://bestsmileys.com/lol/7.gif
I have on more than one occasion stepped in poop while cutting my outside lawn and it is a BIG deal to me...I also know who the culprit is,he walks 2 little Bichons and I'll catch him one day :evil:

kandy
June 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I like the idea about the electrified fence - I'd really like to try that one - but I'd be too worried that I'd zap one of the neighborhood squirrels instead of the stupid neighbor!

I too would take exception to someone manhandling my dog and would've said so in some not so nice terms! And I would give him back everything his doggie leaves in your yard - right in the middle of his sidewalk where he's sure not to miss it!

melanie
June 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM
lol...

your all gunna freak when i tell you this, so i dont know why i am, but I HAVE ENVER EVER PICKED UP MY DOGS CRAP AND I DONT EXPECT ANYONE ELSE TO :D so dont freak, i know you will......

but we live out herer with only a few other dogs, its really not an issue i dont think, and considering over here we pump human fecal waste into the sea i dont seehow my dogs poo has any impact on the planet, hey its fertaliser :D :D :D and my dog always goes up the road next to a paddock full of sheep who are crappin, so i dont see the diff :angel: :angel:

but then we dont live in a city with all the other million dogs crappin every where either....... :D

Luba
June 16th, 2005, 05:40 PM
OH mel ....LOL

happycats
June 16th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks alot Mel!! http://bestsmileys.com/rude/11.gif

BMDLuver
June 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I like the idea about the electrified fence - I'd really like to try that one - but I'd be too worried that I'd zap one of the neighborhood squirrels instead of the stupid neighbor!

lol, the squirrel would have to have mighty long legs to get zapped. Fencers only work on a grounding principle, thus the reason that birds can land on the wire and squirrels run across it. :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
June 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I probably would have tole the nieghbor to F off arleady....

Bearsmom
June 16th, 2005, 06:41 PM
i dont get the problem in this post, yeah sure he was a bit rough with the pup but from what you said he seems to want your dogs to like him, he patted your dog didnt he?? and unwated advice, well thats humans and may be anothers way of reaching out...

Um, no, as a dog owner, I am aware of my dogs' behaviours, and when they're giving warning signs, and have repeatedly asked him not to "manhandle" the puppy. Kaos is going to be about 150lbs at adult size, and we're still training him, and if he winds up a fearful biter, we're going to have problems. It's a matter of respect. If I asked him NOT to touch the puppy, and he still ignores me, what exactly does that say.

perhaps because of this neighbors past stupidity your a bit on edge with him now and take his actions as direct threats or something??? i jsut dotn get what the problem was, yeah i see it as a bit annoying but if the neighbor will like your dog why antagonise the situation????

This neighbour does NOT like our dogs. He has repeatedly stated that he's fearful that Bear our 155 lb mastiff mix will jump the fence. This guy has also complained about our yard, the stain colour we painted the shed, the fact that with the shed being the height it is, they cannot see into our back yard, the fact that the dogs "seem protective", etc etc etc. My problem is, I prefer to live a quiet and peaceful life, and if I have to keep checking the back yard to ensure this clown isn't going to give them rat poison or something, then, yeah, it is a problem.

and as far as corgi on lawn, r u serious,, i hate to say it and i dont mean to sound harsh but man 'Get over it'...

No, Mel, I will NOT get over it, it's a $2000 fine for not picking up after your dog. His dog ****s all over our front yard, and bylaw has been known to check people's front yards for dog waste. We already clean up the back yard with 2 large breeds' waste, he needs to pick up his dog's waste, wherever it decides to go, or I'm going to collect it all and leave it all over his front porch.

as a renter i have had some wild neighbors, as long as they dont steal my stuff, keep me up all night or be violent i dont really care what they do....perhaps you need to chill out and take a step back and take a good look at this situation.....

As a homeowner who paid a substantial amount for our home, I too, have rights. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge. His corgi (who is NEVER on lead) snapped at my two year old son today, we were walking to our car, in our driveway, and his corgi came barrelling around the back of the car and snapped at my son's leg as he was climbing in the car. SNAPPED AT MY TWO YEAR OLD SON!!!!. Do YOU see a problem with this? I sure as hell do.

i really odnt want to sound mean, but i just dont get what the problem really is???

Read above. Read past posts about this guy. The puppy is picking up on the fact that I don't like this guy. I don't like to be told what flowers to plant. I don't like to be told every single time I see him what he thinks of our dogs. I don't like his goddamn corgi snapping at my son, who, luckily, didn't see it coming. Next time that goddamn dog comes at any member of our family, it will become a football. THAT'S THE PROBLEM. GET IT????

melanie
June 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
bahahahahahaha :angel:

Bearsmom
June 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Interesting answer.

twinmommy
June 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I totally sympathize with you Bearsmom, I thought I had the neighbour from hell until reading your posts!! Someone always says "get over it" when they are clueless or haven't lived something like that. Plus the added danger to your kids is infuriating. Poor you. :sorry:

We've since moved, but when someone is close enough to you to make your life miserable--on a daily basis--it IS HELL!!

Now that his dog is always off lead and potentially a danger can you not do something about that?