Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sleep suggestions needed

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Tyler has been playing at 3-4 am lately :eek:

and at first it wasnt so bad, but now im getting really sleep deprived.

is there anything else i can do to help him sleep, I limit him to 2, 3 hour naps a day and he gets some oatmeal before bed.

I nurse him 3 times in the night. but hes not up to eat at 3, hes up to play.

and if i dont play with him he cries

its exhausting, epecially since the other kids dont nap, so the 3 hours of sleep a night im getting is all im getting wich cant go on long without driving me batty

Eleni

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM
how old is he? 2 three hr naps might be too much sleep during the day. What times are those naps? maybe you could phase one out?

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 12:54 PM
ooooh, that's a tough one. But I do know that Judith used to wake up alot at night for nothing, really. What we ended up doing is getting her up earlier, and keeping her awake in the evening but playing and other things, so she was really worn out before bed time. That seemed to help. She had her last does of meds at 9 so that is when she goes to bed, because we don't want to disturb her when she is sleeping. And she gets her last map at 5.

Writing4Fun
June 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I was about to ask the same thing. My little guy (20 months) only gets one nap a day, after lunch.

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
hes 6 months old

he sleeps from 9 am till noon ish

and then sleeps from 3 till 5 or 6

he goes to be at 8 30 or 9 pm

and ideally he needs to be up for the day at 6 am

ive been thinking maybe shorten the pm nap??

Writing4Fun
June 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe shorten both of them? At 6 months old, my guy was sleeping 12 hours through the night, but then again, he was on a bottle & eating solids by then.

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Take him for a walk, the fresh air will help knock him out.

Are you making sure their isn't any stimulation for him before he goes to bed ie: lights, sound makers...anything?

Remove all toys from the crib so there's nothing he can play with and you have a good idea with shortening the pm nap...or perhaps making it a little earlier.

What exactly is he playing with his toes or goobers LOL

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM
well this morning at 3 am I woke up to him squeeling and standing up in the crib[his first stand that we have ever seen]

usually there are no toys allowed in teh crib but I broke down this morning and gave him a rattle so i could sleep

but he diddnt play with it he continued fussing till i picked him up, then he jsut coos at me till he decides hes tired again

most times when he wakes up i just nurse him in the same room, no lights on or anything, so the stimulation is pretty minimal

Eleni

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Judith gets 3, 1 hour naps a day, and she sleeps through the night, with no feedings, and has been since she was 6 weeks old. Well, we did go through the phase of her wanting to be up at night, and that is when we shortened her naps to an hour at a time. She sleeps from 9 until 7 every night.

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM
ill try the walk, ive been so tired in the evening ive been pretty lazy and just play with him on the floor till bedtime

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I like the reducing the nap schedule and resorted to it many times. At six months their need to sleep for long periods of time through the day starts to decrease so it will probably end up going in your favour. Of course if you do have a very busy hectic day I am sure he'll sleep longer.

I bet your tired, hang in there you'll get through it. I wouldn't give him anything or nurse him when he gets up like that, it will do the opposite of what you want him to do (though at the moment you just want to get him to sleep so you can sleep yourself)

As long as he's safe in his crib, let him fart around a bit without any toys and he'll go back to sleep as long as mommie doesn't come to play with him or give him boobie LOL

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM
We dropped the morning nap for Robbie at about 6 months, then again, he was through the night at 6 weeks, (that boy sure does love his sleep). I'd take him out in the mornings with me, so that there was no chance for sleep (walks, shopping, whatever), and he'd go for his after noon nap right after lunch, sleep from about 12:30 till 4pm, then he'd be up till bedtime (LOTS of play, exercise)

He was, however, a formula baby, so he'd not wake for nursing.

Then again, maybe Tyler's just so excited about his new discovery of standing he just had to share!!!!

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 01:15 PM
yeh, I'd shorten the afternoon nap, and maybe try to push the am one a little later to balance things so he's not too cranky.

My kids are easy nursers, but sometimes I had to be really really meticulous with what I ate (and drank! coffee!!) I have always had 1 large cup of coffee/day even pregnant, but there was a time--about the 6 month mark too!!--that I couldn't have ANY, I mean ZIP NADA nothing. No soft drinks no chocolate, no cookies w/choc chips--not even ice tea!! Check your sugar content on the oatmeal cereal, some have less than others.

It's hard to do, because your soo tired, cutting out coffee at this point is a killer, but maybe there's some other stuff yo can cut out before that :rolleyes:

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Lizzie
June 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
It does sound like he is sleeping pretty much all day. I think you might have the best results by weening him off the long naps. Perhaps a short snooze for an hour in the morning and then again for an hour or two around dinner. Then a little short walk in the evening to tiring him out.

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Also, the night nursings, does he just kinda soothe or is he really having complete feedings the three times?

I thought that if he's just having the first and maybe second stage of your milk, maybe he's nodding off before getting to the third stage. then he goes off to sleep without getting the real proteins in the milk--that's what'll keep him "down" longer. If he goes back to sleep just with the first stages--it's mainly water and sugar and he's back up quicker.

Just a thought. :)

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 01:29 PM
at least one of the feeds is a good one, the other times he just dozes off at the boob.

but the food might ahve been part of it, it was banana flavoured and probably had sugar in it

and I did drink coffee in the night , diddnt think of that since it never seemed to have effected him before
no coffee tonite , ill go to the store and see about getting a plain oatmeal for him and see if that makes a difference

Eleni

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Judith hasn't started fruits yet, she gets her veggies and cereal daily. She was started at 4 months, and is now at stage 2 of solids, so meats have been intorduced. If she is anything like dh and I, once she tastes fruit, she won't want veggies, so we are still holding off on introducing those...... So far her favorite meal is ham and veggie dinner. If she doesn't have some in her mouth during feeding time, she starts crying.

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM
ive been really lucky, Ty doesnt have a preferance from sweet or savory or bland foods

he eats whatever im willing to feed him LOL

Eleni