Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hair dyes

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Well, DH, wanted me to look online to see if hair dyes were safe, even though I was told by my dr that I could use them. And I found out that a recent study used dogs to test a solution that was 100 times higher than what humans you :eek: :sad: :mad: :mad: So alas, I am switching over to organic.I found some on the web and a health store, and although it is more expensive, I will not contribute to animal testing!

charoscoe
June 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM
just out of curiosity ...which company was it? (i'm a Hairdresser)

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM
it didn't say what company. I wish that it did, so I could let everyone know. I am looking more, so I can try to find another article that could possibley let me know what companies do studies like that. I think it is just horrible!

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I feel bad about animal testing, but I dont know if i could give up my brand of hair colour, I cant find the right shade for my hair with any other brand heh

i should call their customer line and see what they say if they do it or not

i use garnier fructis for myself

Eleni

charoscoe
June 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I'm going to look into this as I'm pretty sure professional tints are not tested on animals.

Why are you concerned with 'safe' dyes? Are you pregnant?

Vas
June 15th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Well, DH, wanted me to look online to see if hair dyes were safe, even though I was told by my dr that I could use them. And I found out that a recent study used dogs to test a solution that was 100 times higher than what humans you :eek: :sad: :mad: :mad: So alas, I am switching over to organic.I found some on the web and a health store, and although it is more expensive, I will not contribute to animal testing!

In my humble opinion all hair dyes are not safe to use. I had a bad experience with it...And I've learned my lesson.
What is more beautiful than your natural colour?!

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Vas, to tell you the truth, I don't know what my natural hair color is anymore. Some shade of brown, that's it. Haven't seen it since I was I was 13!

sammiec
June 15th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Your doctor would have the best information for you. The internet is not the most trusting place.

I have been told that it's safe for you to use during pregnancy. The only down fall is that the colour may not turn out as you had hoped due to changing hormones.

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I'm going to look into this as I'm pretty sure professional tints are not tested on animals.

Why are you concerned with 'safe' dyes? Are you pregnant?

Yes I am expecting. I had asked my doctor what things I have to stay away from. And he gave a list, and also said that hair dyes are safe, and that I can use them if I iwish. He also suggested using one without ammonia, and told me where I could find it. With that being said, I informed James, and he told me to research before I dye my hair at all. And I found out that it is safe, and alot of doctors do say it is ok. And that is when I found that article. I guess the main reason for concern in the dyes is the ammonia asobring through the skin.....I am still not sure if I am going to dye my hair or not. I am going to do extensive research on this first.

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 11:50 AM
As far as I know, they are safe. I am a hairdresser as well, and CSST gets you off the job if any topical products or fumes for that matter are not safe. Have never heard of anyone being taken off the job, and CSST goes over ALL and I mean ALL your products--which is good.

One place I worked in we only had to change one type of hairspray-not dye at all--as the fumes were detrimental to fetal growth and developement.

When in doubt, ask your OB/gyn.

Vas
June 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Vas, to tell you the truth, I don't know what my natural hair color is anymore. Some shade of brown, that's it. Haven't seen it since I was I was 13!

Be careful about it. Hair dyes can damage your hair. That's my opinion.
Anyway, what about having your natural hair regrow and you have no more to worry about animal testing and safety. ;)

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
already asked, I am just searching more. Told it was fine. I just want to make positive that it is! I am a worry wart that way..... I was also told that the best way to go is use semi-permanent, if I am overly worried about it.... He also said that there is no need to worry about the brand he suggested, being that there is NO ammonia in it..... but of course, I still do... LOL :rolleyes:

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Be careful about it. Hair dyes can damage your hair.
Anyway, what about having your natural hair regrow and you have no more to worry about animal testing and safety. ;)

Was thinking about that. And I might let it grow out.I don't know. I am getting my hair cut soon, so after that, I might think about it.....

Prin
June 15th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I recently stopped dying-- I had also dyed my hair since 13, and I found that my hair color is not at all what I remembered. It's funny because the color I was trying to get with the dyes ended up being the color that was underneath...

As for animal testing, my dad used to work at a shampoo/hygene product company in the 80's and they would lock a rabbit's head in a vice to immobilize it and rub shampoo in its eyes with qtips to see what the reaction was... Needless to say we've never bought that company's shampoos...

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I don't know thhat ammonia is a factor...but be careful, if your doc said no ammonia for YOU or in general, semi-permanent doesn't always mean no ammonia.

Also you should know that the product is usually made with a derrivative of ammonia, usually not far enough away from the true chemical for allergy sufferers--meaning that you'd react to that one as well.

Also--the WORST stuff on the market is "shampoo-in color". the marketing is brilliant, but the product is lousy for your hair--pregnant or not. :rolleyes:

charoscoe
June 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM
if you are not lightening your hair then semi-permanant is fine. Keep in mind it will fade much faster than permanant colour.

I'm sure colouring is safe - keep in mind hairdressers have babies all the time.

And yes, colouring does damage your hair but not that much when applied properly (only the new growth should be coloured). There are much worse things for your hair, such as swimming pools, sun, cheap shampoo!

raingirl
June 15th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Wow...am I the only one who has never died my hair??

Lizzie
June 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I've only highlighted my hair two times I think in my life...I figure, this is the colour I was born with, this must be the best shade for me!

I personally agree with Vas that hair colouring can damage your hair. It's much gentler on your hair if you choose to colour it, to go the hair dresser route. This way they do like choco said, only dye the roots, not redye the entire head of hair.

The do it yourself kinds aren't what I consider healthy for your hair. If you ask me, you literally get what you pay for.....

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Also--the WORST stuff on the market is "shampoo-in color". the marketing is brilliant, but the product is lousy for your hair--pregnant or not. :rolleyes:

Dear God I used that dark brown stuff for brunettes and it took forever to get it off my hands. Never use it again.

Bearsmom
June 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Nope, I never did (aside from the shampoo thing). I was always terrified of it coming out green or something....

Safyre
June 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I have researched with doctors and OB gyn's here and they all say hair dying is safe, always making sure to do it in a ventilated area.

I dye my hair a lot as well, but its too long for me to do myself anymore, i get my stylist to do it for me .. lol 5 hour salon visits.
Bearsmom - my hair only turns green when NOT dyed and swimming in pools :)

Princesss04
June 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Raingirl I have never died my hair. I have the hair dresser highlight it. I would never touch my hair on my own! :D