Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

infected paw cut

Daisy's Owner
June 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Just got back from taking Daisy to the vet. She has a cut on her paw that became infected.

A penicylin injection and 7 days worth of antibiotic pills and she should be fine.

The vet doesn't think there is anything in it, but if it doesn't clear up in 7 days he said they will have to anethsitize her to clean it out.

We were just dealing with the infection, so I forgot to ask him about us cleaning it or what we should be doing with the cut itself. I wouldn't even call it a cut, it is more like the pad is split. It's not bleeding.

I could call him back, but I thought I would ask here first.

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Oh Daisy what did you do to yourself?

Did the vet talk about a salt water bath or anything?

Supplement Daisy with Yogurt atleast once a day to restore the healthy bacteria that the antibiotics will be killing.

Hope it all resolves :D

Dogastrophe
June 15th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I would think that if you keep an eye on the pad and clean it as necessary it will heal on its own while the antibotic takes care of the infection. A cloth with some warm water may be all you need to keep the area free of dirt.

Our oldest had an infected toe last summer. Vet put him on an antibiotic (can't remember the name but if I read it I'd recognize it) and also gave us an antiseptic wash. The wash (3 or 4 drops) was diluted in a bowl of water and a couple times a day we would soak his foot in it. I looked the wash up online and saw that all the active ingredients were the same as the antiseptic sprays you can buy at the pharmacy (except about 1000x more expensive per mL).

Daisy's Owner
June 15th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Oh Daisy what did you do to yourself?

We have no idea. I noticed the day before yesterday that she was limping a little bit on the gravel. Not on the grass or in the house. I figured her pads were cracked maybe. Then last night we noticed that the "finger" was a little swollen, and that there was a definite crack/cut/scrape on her pad. We couldn't really get a good look at it though. I put a little polysporin on it before she went to bed. This morning it was worse and she was favoring it all the time, so off to the vet we went.

Did the vet talk about a salt water bath or anything?

Nope. Nothing. But I forgot to ask as well. That's what I was thinking. Soaking it might dislodge anything that might have gotten in there.

Supplement Daisy with Yogurt atleast once a day to restore the healthy bacteria that the antibiotics will be killing.

That's a good idea. How much should I give her? She loves yogurt. I should have thought of that instead of stopping to get her a couple of marrow bones. A little doggy treat for being so good at the vet.

I looked the wash up online and saw that all the active ingredients were the same as the antiseptic sprays you can buy at the pharmacy (except about 1000x more expensive per mL).

That is EXACTLY why I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I'd call the vet and ask about soaking the paw atleast once a day.
You don't wanna overdo it mainly because you want the cut to dry out and not stay wet...dampness promotes infection.

I'd go as far as putting something on the paw like a sock when you go outside for the unmentionables ;)

About the yogurt, it really depends on the weight of the dog. Plain yogurt is best, no sugary added fruit stuff. A couple tablespoons for a large breed like my collie and less ofcourse as the size of the breed reduces, so should the amount of yogurt :D

db7
June 15th, 2005, 03:04 PM
EMT GEL

search the forum for details, it is THE BEST treatment

Lissa
June 15th, 2005, 04:07 PM
My dog's cut paw pad only just healed up. I ended up buying some EMT gel and it didn't work as well as what I hoped.

Since your vet isn't sure if there is anything stuck in the paw, it is probably not the best idea to run out and try to seal it over with EMT gel today!

I soaked Dodger's paw in a bit of epsom salt and water when he got it dirty. During the day while he was inside I just got some tapeless bandage to cover the wound but when he went outside he wore his bootie. Overnight and while he was stationary during the day, I left the paw uncovered BUT you have to watch your dog because Dodger tended to lick his paw raw.

It took about a 3 weeks for his paw to heal and he limped the whole time - but refused to stay off of it (of course :) !!!) The most dangerous time for me was when I thought the cut has healed over and I took the bootie off. Dodger started limping badly at the end of the walk and when I checked his paw, he had tiny wood pieces stuck in his cut! Thankfully I pulled them all out and his paw didn't get infected!

Good luck and I hope that your dog's paw heals up soon!

pags
June 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Poor Daisy!! My first dog of adulthood was my big lug of a German Shepherd named Fred (Friedrich, more appropriately). Fred liked to dig.. and I don't mean dig little holes either.. He was much more utilitarian with his digging -- he dug himself a den for those hot summer days in his outdoor kennel. I mean a real den.. about 6 feet deep, sloped entrance into a nice cool earthy den about 5 x 5. Who could blame him? It gets really hot down here, you know? :) Anyway - it took a lot to maintain such a place with the summer rains... so Fred was constantly cutting and scraping his pads. I mean constantly.

I admit it.. I resorted to the old remedies my dad used on our GSDs growing up (Yes, I grew up thinking that I, too, was a German Shepherd...) -- good old peroxide to clean it out and then tincture of mercurochrome or merthiolate to keep it clean. All our dogs had red-stained paws at one point or the other.
After looking online though - I see that mercurochrome has been banned in various places for its mercury content... but I still have a bottle of merthiolate around the house in the first aid kits. The stuff stings like the dickens but it's a really effective antiseptic... or it has been for me. :)

I tried regular antiseptic sprays and the bootie trick for Fred in the beginning.. but the sprays honestly did nothing once he got back outside... And the bootie? Maximum 30 seconds before he took off and ate it in the back corner of the yard. :P

Daisy doesn't seem to be quite as intense as our Shepherds - but just in case all else fails consider some of the 'old time' antiseptics. Iodine works as well but has to be reapplied more often. I think the advantage of either one of these (iodine or merthiolate) is that the dye they contain is a good indication of whether or not your antiseptic has worn off.

Give Daisy a pet and a scratch for me and good luck getting her back on all four paws!!!

doggy lover
June 15th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I've always used peroxide 3% for stiches, cuts and stuff like that, and had no problems. I use it on my dogs, cats, me and the kids, it doesn't sting. Hope your bo bo heals soon Daisy.