Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs in Swimming Pools

Safyre
June 14th, 2005, 09:32 PM
This is something I have been wondering about.
Is it OKAY for dogs to swim in chlorinated pools?
I would worry that it'd be hard on their fur, skin and eyes.
Any thoughts? Advice?

Oh poo, wrong forum.. mods??? help???

twinmommy
June 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I don't know about swimming on a regular basis, but pools are really great if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk. The chlorine neutralizes the acidity. Works like a charm!! (Trust me :rolleyes: )

Safyre
June 14th, 2005, 11:10 PM
LOL i think i will trust you on that and not try it out myself :)

Luba
June 14th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I didn't know that re the skunk and the chlorine woo hoo
But I don't think brother dear would ever like me to take a skunked collie to his pool LOL

I guess the pool would be ok for them to swim in lots of people do it, but you may wanna spray down / rinse pooch off after with fresh water :D

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 06:11 AM
My brother-in-law has 2 choc Labs male and female. They both go in his 4 foot deep above ground pool to swim. I have never heard complaints about dog hair or them dirty in in the pool. The dogs are healthy so I don't see why it would be a problem, if you are concerened about the clorine in the pool then rinse your pet off with clean water when it gets out of the pool. I don't imagine animals will keep sticking their heads in the water if it is hurting their face in any way.
Hope you have fun swimming with your friend!!!

jessi76
June 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM
my first concern about letting the dog in a pool would be the pool liner - their nails could rip the liner, which would be a very expensive repair. Other than that, I'd worry about the chlorine drying out the dogs skin. We just got our puppy a pool of his own - one of those little plastic kiddie pools.

Writing4Fun
June 15th, 2005, 09:10 AM
My brother lets his dog swim in his pool. As long as you rinse them off well afterwards, it's no more dangerous than a person swimming in a chlorinated pool. And, yes, he has already replaced one liner because of the dog's claws. ;)

Safyre
June 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM
thanks for the responses... I'm housing sitting (and dog sitting) this weekend, and they have a pool, that they allow their dog in.
Some family memebers have pools and I've never wanted to let Justice in cause I have never looked into if it was okay or not.
Justice is JUST getting introduced to water , she whines as soon as she can't hit bottom, so no pools for her yet... but good info for the future. Thanks all

dmc123
June 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Good subject, I would love to have a pool and wondered some of what has been brought up. I know Delaney would love the pool, Rudy I doubt would ever get in unless forced :( but I wondered about her puncturing the liner.

Thanks all who posted.

Diane

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 07:08 PM
For someone that has a animal, and they want to take it into the pool, you can get a small kiddy pool for it. Then you don't have to worry about a liner being ripped, or chlorine hurting their skin. You just use water out of the hose.
You can pick up a kiddy pool for around $20. It is also good if your animal is afraid of a big pool. :eek:

glasslass
June 15th, 2005, 07:57 PM
It would be a good idea to dry their ears afterwards too with a wad of cotton.

Safyre
June 15th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Justice, my dog, HATES KIDDIE POOLS we bought her one last year. we couldn't coax her into it for the life of us.
I'm really cautious of Justice getting water in her ears,being a floopy eared dog, so I knew that already but good info for any one else.

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Yes, yes, always dry the ears out after... Almost a guaranteed infection if you don't.

mafiaprincess
June 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM
We have an above ground pool Cider swims in. She hates her 10 dollar petsmart kiddie pool.

She swims in her life jacket, so she keeps her head out of the water... and doesn't get tired as easily. I keep her away from the edges of the pool to spare the liner.

JessXx
June 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I'd say yes... but not too often.
One summer we went to Drumheller Canada/ I live in :ca: :D:D:D
And we stopped at a nice motel with an outdoor pool about 20 feet wide and it was a big circle... it was 4 feet then 6 then 8... not too too bad. Shyla was scared at first but we put her paws in and she kinda jumped in, she didn't mind. Though I wouldn't let her drink it (DUH :rolleyes: )
I'd just watch the eyes and make sure the pup doesnt drink... :pawprint: :pawprint: