Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boxer fem w/bloody runny stools for 2 mo

sophiesmom
June 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I have a female boxer that has been under a vets care for 2 months with only temporary improvement. I am looking for help, suggestions, anything at all. She is 1 year 2 months old, never been bred. She is up to date on her shots, has been treated with antibiotics and yogurt multiple times, been put on prescription food twice and is currently on Science Diet Sensitive stomach, been tested for parvo and distemper, on heart worm medication monthly. The antibiotics/yogurt combo seem to be help temporarily but as soon as the medication runs out it comes back like it never got better. She feels great, eats great, but her stools are extremely runny with bright red blood pool or drops located all around.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2005, 07:16 PM
What infection are the antibiotics for? Or were they just given because no answer could be found? What tests has your dog had? Is she acting normal, healthy and playful?

Dogs can have IBD (irritable bowel disease) just like people do. If absolutely nothing can be found to be wrong with her, one thing I would try is putting her on an excellent quality food. Science Diet is NOT good quality and is filled with grains and cereal and many dogs cannot tolerate this.

You can try Wellness, Innova, California Natural, or a host of other great foods to see if this helps.

But first you might want to stop the dog food altogether, and just give her something very disgestible, like boiled chicken and see if the diarrhea stops. If it does, then you'll know the food is contributing to the problem.