Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy is not very well, please help

GuateChris
June 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Hi everybody and sorry in advance for the long post.

Caleb my 5 month old Lab/Chow/? was suspected of having mange about 6 weeks ago, the vet gave him a dose of Ivermectin and the problem did not clear up. He had another dose of Ivermectin 2 weeks later, and his skin started to clear up a little.

It now appears he has demodetic mange as he is loosing hair and has a dandruff like flakes filtering through his hair, and small scabs on his skin ( 1 Hotspot – dealt with )

I started using a product by PetsBestRX to treat demodetic mange yesterday, It took a while to get here I'll explain why later, and that seems to help him a bit. I have been reading for weeks on demodetic and scarcoptic mange but have not read anything about what my dog is now doing.

For 48 hours he has been very slow moving, no energy, not wanting to play, very slow to get up, but still eats well and drinks as normal, but he has now started crying in the night.

He is not crying all night but for 5ish seconds, 4 or 5 times a night he will cry in pain wimper then stop, I go and hold him and he is ok again, I check to see if any of his limbs, skin, abdomen are causing pain but nothing.

I thought the pain could be from him eating something he shouldn't have but he is pooping and peeing ok, but I am getting more worried about him.

I am in a remote part of Guatemala, and to go to a vet is a full day, of course if he needs treatment he will be there tomorrow, but if it is just his skin irritating him and the vet is going to tell me that, then it would have been a long, sweaty expensive day for nothing.

Any information you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Warm regards,
Chris & Caleb.

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi and welcome to the board!

If your puppy really has demodectic mange, then I would stop treating it. It's a Catch-22. Demodectic mange is caused by a faulty immune system, BUT most puppies who have it are better when their immune system fully kicks in at about 11 months. The problem with giving meds is that many of them LOWER the immune system, which gives the mites an even better foothold.

I dont' know about the lethargy and appearance of illness - this could be something totally unrelated - but if he is eating and drinking that's good!

Stop the meds for mange, feed him a very nutrious diet to boost his immune system BUT if the other symtoms continue, he'll need to see a vet again.

Are you sure the whimpering is from pain, or because he now knows you will get up and hold him when he cries?

Please let us know how he does!

GuateChris
June 15th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Hi and thanks,

I don't quite know if it is from pain as he does not seem react when I press his belly of feel his legs to try and find what is causing the annoyance to him. I don't hold him all the time when he cries for the reason you stated, but I find it hard to leave him alone when he is.

He seems better today and has a bit more energy but he still has the crying for a few seconds, but if you touch him when he is crying it seems to make him worse like his skin is irritating him lots.

As I said he seems healthy, but just has this brief crying during the night & day, when I say the crying I mean yelping, screaming however it is best to describe the noise made when a dog is in pain, but really loud, he doesn’t seem to touch any part of himself when he is doing this but, puts his nose between his paws, and sits with a big arch down his spine, then he stops, and lies there again, quiet.

I thought that giving him the spray on medicine would be good for him, I know that he may be missing a T in his immune system makeup, but it is the gamble between leave all his hair fall out and let his skin get worse, and it may clear itself up, or use the products, which should clear it up, but he will have a higher chance of reoccurrence.

I just want him to be better, and back to his young self.

Lucky Rescue
June 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM
puts his nose between his paws, and sits with a big arch down his spine, then he stops, and lies there again, quiet.
Now THAT sounds like pain that is internal. Arching the back usually indicates abdominal pain. Only a vet can tell you what's causing it and I highly suggest you see one.

Whatever is causing the pain might very well be the reason the mange appeared. All dogs have mange mites in their hair follicles, but unless the dog is weakened by illness, old age, or is very young, they usually do not cause problems.

Here is an article on demodectic mange you may find helpful!
http://www.akitarescue.com/demodectic_mange-a_natural_treatment.htm

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM
It sure does sound like pain, I agree with LR completely.

GuateChris
June 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Just had another burst of 10-15 seconds of full on yelping and then calm again, I think it is time for a trip to the vet, we are going tomorrow hopefully he will be able to tell what the problem is.

Can anybody tell he how serious this is, of course it will need a vet so diagnose treatment which is not a problem, but the fact that he is Peeing and Pooping is a good sign right?

If he was not then I would have gone to the vets by now, but the sound of him crying is really upsetting, all I want to do is make it better, just touching him when he is crying seems to make him worse.

Is there anything I can give him to help with the pain until tomorrow, I have read, give the aspirin, don't give then aspirin. One person says yes, the other says no.

Anything you can suggest to help with the bursts of pain, homeopathic or not would be great, Thanks in advance.

Chris & Caleb

twinmommy
June 15th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Can you not see the vet today? It sounds like he is in a lot of pain. I wouldn't start messing around with aspirin--without a vet consult anyways.

GuateChris
June 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Can you not see the vet today? It sounds like he is in a lot of pain. I wouldn't start messing around with aspirin--without a vet consult anyways.
No, as I said earlier
I am in a remote part of Guatemala, and to go to a vet is a full day
To late for the busses now, have to go early tomorrow morning.
Here is an article on demodectic mange you may find helpful!
http://www.akitarescue.com/demodect...l_treatment.htm
Thanks Lucky but for the same reason the chance of finding any of that here in Guatemala is quite unlikely.
May be able to order it in on the net but it will take a good 10-14 days to get here, and be costly.

But I have heard good things about the 100% neem, for dogs, humans and everything else, might be worth a go.

Thanks again,
C & C

GuateChris
June 16th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Hey everyone, Caleb and I are back home after a little under 12 hours in the car, the Vet gave him another dose of Ivermectin for his mange, another canine distemper-adenovirus type 2-parainfluenza-parvovirus shot, and the gave me some Dexametasona 0.5g anti-inflamitory tablets for him to have every 6 hours.

Now when the vet was examining Caleb, he had no problems what so ever, also in the car jorney there and back there were no problems, no crying out loud from Caleb, but when we got back I fed him then about 45mins-1 Hour later he was crying so loud I heard him from 35 meters away in a different building.

Vet says it is just the Mange causing him aggravation with his skin, hence anti-inflams, but I will be looking to see if it is a particular time after he has eaten or not. But then why would he be making this noise in the night too, it's the sort of screaming that makes people think someone is killing him, it is so loud and distressed.

Any advice you can give would be helpful,

Thanks in advance,

C&C

poodletalk
June 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I think he may want your attention. He was fine in the car with you, he was fine at the vets with you beside him. When your away from your sight, thats when he cries. When you go to him, he stops crying.

GuateChris
June 17th, 2005, 05:11 PM
No I don't think it's just for attention, he could be sitting next to me on the floor all quiet then start screaming, I noticed one of his front teeth was chipped and has gone blackish, I think it needs to be extracted, and think as he lies down on his left side, same side as dodgy tooth this could be the source of the pain.

But when you wiggle the tooth, and it does wiggle a bit, he has no reaction, no crying or wimpering.

Then I saw him with his paw to his left ear, and was just resting it by his head, I had a quick check in the ear and he gave a quick yelp, but nothing else.

I know when I had a toothache, I had shooting pain up the side of my face, must be the same for dogs, can anybody shed anymore light on this?

Thanks

Luba
June 17th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I've recommended using oil of oregano for mange before. It worked for goldenblaze's dog 'Blaze' and I'm sure you can give it a try.

If you want more info on it let me know.

kandy
June 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM
It could be the tooth - if it's black, it needs to come out anyway. When our Lacey got sick, it took three trips to the vet and me finally insisting on blood tests to determine the cause of her illness. I knew she was in pain, and I knew she was alot sicker than the vet seemed to think. Of course, Lacey wasn't eating/drinking either, so I knew she had serious problems.

I would call the vet and see if they can give you any suggestions over the phone. If it consistently happens after he eats, maybe he's got some kind of stomach problem - does he ever eat weird things?, or ulcers maybe??? It's really tough if a dog has something going on that never happens in front of the vet. You may have to insist on x-rays or blood work to discover the cause. Good Luck!

GuateChris
June 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Calebs new left fang has sprouted next to his milk tooth, so that is the problem, the right fang is being pushed out by the new tooth as it should be, can see it moved out a little, is loose and has pink at the top of the tooth.

But what should I do about the left Fang, yes it needs to come out, but is is like a joystick, you can put you finger on it and wiggle it all around, I had a little tug at it, but it won't release, he did not seem to mind.

Anybody got any advice, as to how long, if at all, I should wait before taking him 6 hours away to have a Vet tug out his old tooth, is it possible to pull it myself, or is this a bit of a risky job.

Thanks,

Chris & Caleb

BMDLuver
June 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
Hi Chris,
Can you get your hands on a nuckle bone from a butcher? He will gnaw on it with the sides of his mouth which will in turn help to get the tooth out. Kind of like a kid with a loose tooth and you have them bite into an apple.

GuateChris
June 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
It's strange that you should say that as 2 appeared today! :)

I was looking for the little one and found him chewing on them, he was swapping from one to the other!

Hopefully this will sort out his teeth. :thumbs up

Thanks for all advice.

Chris & Caleb :pawprint: