Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you think about Newfoundlanders

Stacey1
June 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I am thinking of getting a Newfoundland puppie, does anyone know about these dogs?
I have done some research on them but not alot.

Are they good with kids?

Anything you can tell me would be helpful!!!

Thanks

BMDLuver
June 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
What are the exact ages of your children?

Stacey1
June 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM
My kids are 9 ,7, 6, 5, and 20 mths.

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
My kids are 9 ,7, 6, 5, and 20 mths

OH my! You really think you'll have time to run a puppy in and out of the house 10 times a day to housetrain it and later obedience train it, give it exercise and all the attention puppies require?

Young puppies are a LOT of work and you certainly must have your hands very full at the moment.

BMDLuver
June 14th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I would definitely caution against getting such a large dog. Your kids are very young and the Newfoundland can knock them over in a heartbeat as is true with any xlarge breed. A puppy would certainly not be a good idea as the training period will see the children become nervous around the dog just due to sheer size and power. Puppies are very rambunctious and one that size can do harm to a little one without intent. I have 2.5 and 3.5 year olds who are very accustomed to large dogs and they have been knocked over many a time just by being beside the dog when it turns to say hello. I would suggest if you are going such a large dog route that you get an adult that is already good around children and knows how to be careful around them.

heidiho
June 14th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Jazzmanian
June 14th, 2005, 03:05 PM
When I was a boy my family siblings and I were 12,10,8,6, and 0 when we got our newf. They can be extreemly good with kids. Protective even.

Of course there will be some accidental knock downs due to the size of the breed, but if your kids are "rough and tumble" in any way, I don't think of this as a problem.

We trained ours to harness pull a sled, and spent many hours taking turns going for rides. He would also love to go swimming in the lake with us, but tried to herd the kids back to shore once his feet could no longer feel the bottom.

Stacey1
June 14th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I understand your concerns, but my kids have been around Xlarge dogs before. My brother had a St.Bernard that was about 170 - 190llbs. Our dog Zepher would knock the kids over on a daily basis. She weighed about 100lbs.
My husband has a friend that is a member of the Canadian Newf assocation and she is checking shelters for a adult female for us.

mona_b
June 14th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Of course there will be some accidental knock downs due to the size of the breed, but if your kids are "rough and tumble" in any way, I don't think of this as a problem.

This is so very true...LOL...My daughter went through this many times when she was younger.She actualy would run full force into my my previous GSD.Cujo would walk by and knock her down.She just sat there and laughed.

As for the Newfie,they are great with kids.My aunt had one along with a St.Bernard and 5 Danes.And we are talking about 7 XLarge dogs.We got knocked down,sat on,and pushed around by them.But we survived.... :D ....These dogs loved being with us as kids.And we had a ball on the farm with them.Memories I will never forget.

I would have your hubby's friend check the Newfoundland Rescue of Canada...Or you can do this.

mona_b
June 14th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Here is a link....Not sure how far you are willing to travel.

Scroll to Newfoundlands.

http://www.canadogs.com/Rescue.htm

Luba
June 14th, 2005, 09:06 PM
They are wonderful gentle dogs. But are you sure you want another 'kid' in the house. My woman aren't you busy enough...you are super mom or something LOL ;)

May I suggest you contact a rescue and offer to FOSTER a dog for them. See how that goes. Fostering isn't a lifetime commitment but a puppy is! :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 14th, 2005, 09:15 PM
My parents had a newfoundland she was a giant lap dog very mellow,they got her from a guy at the ferry terminal (not reccommended) she did like to wander and would go with anyone that walked by,They lived on an acerage and the fence was not that secure. So they were always going to pick her up. She was a nice dog though.

I love big dogs myself, but have gotten attached to smaller ones as well, as we have young kids 4 and 7 I feel a smaller/medium breed would be better for us, as the kids could walk it with supervision and the dog won't accidently knock them over, they also take up less space in the house and car.

Good luck with your search, just be sure to find out all the info you can before committing.

happycats
June 14th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I love Newfie's !! they are a beautiful animal, and very loving, but be prepared for LOTS of drool and hair!!
There are some Newfie mixes on petfinders. http://www.petfinders.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4609768&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=42af43530641b452-app5&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
http://www.petfinders.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4466793&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=42af813d7a779987-app2&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Stacey1
June 14th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I have heard they drool and shed. More so when it is hot out.
I live in Ottawa Canada, so it can get pretty hot here. But isn't life grand, I have central air now, and lots of shade in the backyard.
I also heard they love water, well wouldn't you know it I have a pool, and a cottage on the Ottawa river.
My other dog Zepher loved the water and was always in the river, or any water source there was. If we do get a Newfie it will be in training school, and I would want my kids to be a part of that.

nymph
June 15th, 2005, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine got her newfie baby from a breeder in Belleville. Newfies are one of the most gentle breeds.

Dogastrophe
June 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
All the newfs I've know were dogs who did not realize that they were not ideally suited as lap dogs, but really didn't care. They tend to be fabulous dogs with kids and will generally walk away when the annoyance level gets to much for them.

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I am so excited about getting a dog. I have heard such great things about Newf's that I really want to get one.

The hardest part right now seems to be finding one that won't break the bank with the cost of buying it.

Copper'sMom
June 15th, 2005, 12:20 PM
The hardest part right now seems to be finding one that won't break the bank with the cost of buying it.

Can you afford the vet bills, food bills and toy bills when you own the dog? Don't forget the emergency medical bills that may occur even when you are flat broke! The larger the dog, the higher the cost to take care of it!

I would say look into getting a rescue dog, but with all those young kids you have.................. Children must be taught how to interact with the dog, just as the dog must be taught how to interact with children/people!

We had a Newfie when I was a kid. He used to try and save us when we were swimming in the creek! It felt more like he was drowing us instead! LOL He was a bundle of energy, but then again, I don't know how much attention or training he got from my mom and her fiance. I was just 6 years old so nothing I could do about it then!

Luba
June 15th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Notes: Beautiful, laid back male Lab/Newfie with long black hair.

Shelter of Hope Animal Services
Cobourg, ON
(905) 885-7808
shelterofhope@sympatico.ca

http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/ON80/ON80.4609768-3-x.jpg

Prin
June 15th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Wow, a newf!! I want a newf. Kandy on this board has newfs. Newfs are FANTASTIC with kids. We had one when I was tiny and she protected us like crazy. My dad left me and my brother outside alone for 10 minutes and a dog walked on our property and old Sheebers killed it. Keep in mind we were in the country and the doggy was probably not somebody's doggy. I was so young at the time.

Newfs are also really social with other dogs, and rarely seem to have aggression issues.

We think Boo is a newf mix, and if he is, we had a puppy over here and Boo was so careful not to step on her. He was putting his feet down so slowly and carefully... If all newfs are like that, I don't think your new one will knock your kids over, but then again, Boo's an adult...

Here are my Newf links:
http://www.newfdogclub.org/ This one has breeders, standards, etc.
http://www.ilovenewfies.com/dontbuy.shtml Reasons not to get a newf..
http://www.ilovenewfies.com/breeders.shtml Newf breeders...

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Some people are concerned that my kids need to learn how to behave around dogs, and how much it costs to take care of, but I think you have forgotten ( it was at the top of the page ) I have owned a dog before. I do know how much it costs.
We have had dogs for the last 10 yrs, so my kids do know how to behave around dogs. My youngest will have to learn just like everyone else does.

I am looking into getting one from someone in the "Ontario Newfoundland Dog Club". We are also looking into maybe getting a adult female, but we don't know if we could trust a dog that has not grown up with our kids.
"It would be nice not to have to go through puppy training."
I also heard somewhere that if a Newf is over 18mths it has a real hard time accepting a new family. They get depressed, and pine for there first family, or something like that. Dose anyone know anything about this!

Dogastrophe
June 15th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Following is from the site www.dogbreedinfo.com "Very devoted. They can become so attached to their owners that they cannot adapt to a new home"

Link is: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/newfoundland.htm

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 15th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Here is what my book Your Purebred Puppy[U] by Michelle Welton says about Newfoundlands.

Fine for Novice Owners
Good with Children
Giant in Size
Thick, Medium-Length Coat

Excercise req: medium
trimming/cipping requirement: low
shedding:high
activity indoors- low
socialablity with strangers- high

temperment. sweetness of temperment is the hallmark of the newfoundland
needs long daily walks, and swimming is appreciated.Needs more companionship than other breeds, does not like being alone for long periods, earlys socialization is critical in developing stable temperment. He is a sensitive breed so don't be harsh in training. Females are more willing to please, males are more hard headed. Newfies are champion droolers.

Physical charc:
28-32 inch male 125- 150 pounds
26-28 inces female 100-130 pounds
oily coat should be brushed twice a week

Health issues
if getting a puppy, both parents should OFA certificates (hip and elbow) and yearly CERF (eyes. Ask about cystinuria, low thyroid, heart disease, vWD, seizures, bloat, OCD panosteitis and allergies and skin conditions. The can be suseptible to eyelid conditions and heat stroke in hot humid weather. Life span is 10 years.

Cautions when buying.
Do not take temperment for granted, but only from breeder whose dogs are exceedingly good-natured and who can show you health clearances.

Here is my two cents,
Even if you end up getting a puppy, I would still talk to a rescue specific to newfies, we are looking for a english cocker spaniel and we have found talking to the rescue has given us a lot of great info and they have also given us valuable info on the breed and breeders that we may not otherwise have known if we didn't hear an outside opinion. After you have researched the breed and still feel it is right, I would talk to as many people as you can.

Good Luck :)

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks "Researchbulls". I am grateful for all the info you gave.

Like I said we are looking into getting a rescue Newf.

Thanks again. :thumbs up

kandy
June 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM
So far, I have found that newfs are great with kids. Our first newf Lacey knocked over a couple of little ones before she figured out that they weren't too steady on their feet. Then she would stand as far from them as possible and stretch her neck til she could give kisses. She was also very gentle with old people. My hubby's grandmother was in a nursing home and he would take Lacey to visit. Although she normally thought she was a lap dog, she would never try to sit on anyone's lap in the home. It was like she knew they couldn't handle it. One more thing that newfs can have problems with is kidney stones. None of the research I did before hand indicated that, but Lacey got really sick when she was 18 months old and after blood tests revealed that she was in total kidney failure, I did research on just kidney problems. Lacey's problem was a birth defect that didn't allow her kidney's to develop properly. They can also have heart murmurs, but any good breeder will have the pups undergo an ultrasound before they sell a pup (along with having all the proper tests done on the parents before breeding). Our new pup, Hazel (4 months) - isn't big enough yet to knock over the little kids but man does she love em!! Our sons newf, Parker (6 months) has been around lots of kids, including little bitty babies. Jeff says that he is always really gentle with them - even if they are mean to him. He says that with the little bitty babies, if you put their carrier on the floor - he gives them really tender kisses on top of the head - never in the face. He's never been taught that and I know that if he was smothering the poor babies then Jeff wouldn't allow anyone to put a baby carrier where Parker could do it. If you think you can want a dog, a newf would probably be a good choice. Oh, the thing about harsh words hurting their feelers is very true. They don't respond well to being yelled at but they'll do anything to please you. I've had GSD's, St. Bernards, and rotties - and for the big breeds I'd have to say that the newf is probably the most gentle I've seen. Good Luck and sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

kandy
June 24th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Here's a picture of Hazel

kandy
June 24th, 2005, 12:22 PM
And one of Parker. I also have pictures of both of them posted on the pictures forum.