Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat has huge mass on back leg

JColeman
June 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I was hoping someone may have had a similar situation. My female cat who is 12 years old has a huge mass on her back leg. By huge I mean softball size. The cat does not live with me but with my parents as my dog doesn't like her too much. Kasey does not seem to be in pain. She eats, plays and goes to the bathroom like normal. The mass started out the size of a golf ball about 8 months ago and has grown since then. There are parts that are very hard and parts that are somewhat squishy. Last night I checked in on her and she had actually ripped the fur off a portion of the mass and it was bleeding. My parents say that it is probably cancer and that she is too old for treatment. I can't afford cancer treatment especially for an older cat that might not come out of the surgery.

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM
has she been to the vet to have the mass diagnosed??

12 yrs inst THAT young,But many cats can live to 17 years old or more even.

seriously if you take her to the vet and the vet things shes got cancer, and you cant get treatment and she will suffer then you can opt to put her to sleep, but first see to make sure it isnt something else that can be easily treatable

masses arent always cancer

Eleni

levimh
June 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM
When you say that some parts are hard and some are soft, it definitely sounds like a tumor. However, it may not be cancerous. I'm sure kitty would feel a lot better with it removed. There are many payment plans out there to assist with pets' medical bills - I'm not sure what they are or how they work, but someone will probably be along to mention them.

If it isn't a tumor, it could be tissue build-up of some sort.