Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sams tummy

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 06:49 AM
sam helped himself to some of the childrens supper last night.

it was just veal cutletts and broccoli and cauliflower.
hes having tummy issues today, dirreah and a bit of vomitting.

last time this happened the vet gave him some gastro food, and something to settle his tummy.

right now hes still drinking his normal amount of water, I diddnt offer him his morning meal.

heres my question since its the identical situation as before is it cool to wait out?

hes had a fecal sample within the last month that came out fine and has been examined by the vet recently so he has a clean bill of health.

i know normally a vet really needs to see diarreah but in this case i know what caused it

take him in? or wait it out and take him in if it worsens?

thanks in advance for your opinions

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Those two vegetables are really hard to digest, since they have few calories.

That is probably what is causing the upset stomach, if you're sure he didnt' eat anything else. I would withhold food for today, then maybe try a bit of boiled chicken and rice and see how he is. Make sure he's drinking.

If there is no improvement by tomorrow or if it gets worse, I would probably take him to the vet.

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 08:39 AM
hes drinkign water normlly,

maybe a bit mroe, but I would too if i were vomitting

he seems to ahve settled down in the last 2 hours, no poops or vomits

so i think it must be starting to settle.

im 100% sure he ate nothing else.

i think hes gonna be one of those dogs who can really never have any form of table scraps poor thing

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2005, 08:55 AM
think hes gonna be one of those dogs who can really never have any form of table scraps poor thing

Well, not broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage for sure!:p I give my dog leftovers if I'm having chicken, fish, pasta or lean meat - but not too much!

My last dog had a very sensitive stomach, and I had to be very careful what I gave him too.

Beaglemom
June 14th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I agree with LuckyRescue. If you are sure that your dog hasn't gotten into anything else, I would just keep a close eye on him. If he doesn't start to feel better, than I would definitely call the vet.

My dog has stolen food many times. Just the other day she managed to steal some fresh home made sausages! She ate a lot. We made sure she had plenty of water available, but cut back on her regular food. Luckily she didn't get much of a tummy upset. Misty definitely doesn't have a sensitive stomach. She can eat anything and then demand more with no upset tummy!

toby's tracy
June 14th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Toby has also had a history of tummy issues. He spent some time on gastro as well as antibiotics in order to settle it...he was finally back to normal and then we went to a bbq, where some kids decided to feed him some chicken AND he found the cat food bowl AND he found one of the kids' plates... :eek:

Needless to say he spent that night and the following day and the following night with the runs and some vomiting (oh...did I mention he ate some charcoal as well?)(no chemicals - thank God!)...

...by last night he was fine...

...it's amazing what a change in diet can do to their tummies!!!!!!

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2005, 01:11 PM
where some kids decided to feed him some chicken AND he found the cat food bowl AND he found one of the kids' plates

LOL! At least I'm sure he felt the bellyache was worth it!:p

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 06:45 PM
sams feeling better now,

he even ate half his normal dinner, no poops

then i saw him scratching at the cuboard asking for more hehe
so we gave him a lil more

Eleni