Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Re-Occuring UTI

CJ05
June 13th, 2005, 07:56 PM
My four month old puppy is now going through her 3rd urinary tract infection and I don't know why. The first 2 times she went on the correct medication and it cleared up. I blamed it on her laying on the damp ground. The only thing out of the ordinary that she did this past weekend was eat a few fresh grass clumps that came from the mower and she may have eaten a few wood chips ( from apple trees). Other than that she may have some medical disorder thats gonna cost a lot to diagnose. Any suggestions?

levimh
June 13th, 2005, 08:01 PM
My guess would be some other medical condition that causes the UTIs. Have you mentioned to your vet that they keep re-occuring and your conccerned about that? Your vet should be aware that they keep occuring and that there might be something else causing this.

mafiaprincess
June 13th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Do you wash the bedding each time? Not washing the bedding I've been told can help uti's reoccur. Not absolute, but it's a possibility.

CJ05
June 16th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Our dog is now on a new medication. After 4 days we tested the urine and there appears to be no blood...but... now she is dribbling all over the house and we may have to put her back on the old medication. The condition called ectopic ureter has been brought up. Anyone else have experience with this or problem with reoccurring urinary tract infections?? Please help. I am trying to avoid taking her to PEI for tests which can be costly. The surgery alone could be 1500-2000 dollars which I heard may not help the issue.