Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

birth control options

lilith_rizel
June 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM
James and I are trying to find the method that is right for us. We are thinking about the norplant, becasue of the effectiveness, and other reasons.

I would like to know if anyone has had this. If so, what are the costs? And what side effects did you experience. I know that it hurts like a mother when it is time for removal, and that there is usually scarring invovled. But to me, that doesn't matter.

Pills don't work for me, the depo has a history of bad side effects in the family.... And the patch, we are leary about, have heard from my sister that hers falls off sometimes...

april21h1
June 13th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Sorry lithel I use depo. I cant use the pill because I would probly forget. I have a bad memory. M doctor recommended me to use depo. I have had very little side effects with it and it is covered under my health insurance. It only costs me under $10 every 3 months.

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
will you be breastfeeding??

breastfeeding limits your choices for hormonal birth control.

but you have other options to hormona birth control, like an iud mirena brand is the non hormonal one, a diaprhagm but you ahve have user error with that one.

and there is the mini pill thats not supposed to effect milk supply.

as for others ive never tried them, we use condoms, but im getting my tubes tied when Im no longer breastfeeding Tyler

lilith_rizel
June 13th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Same here with the memory! It was horrible tryint to remember my pills, but I did manage to take every one, and on time. James said that he would even pay the entire fee out of his pocket, as long as there isn't any serious side effects involved.We want to figure out what we are going to choose, before I become 8 months pregnant.

Are there any other options out there, that I may not be thinking about?

lilith_rizel
June 13th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Eleni, I used the mini pill last time. didn't work for me, and DR. suggest to pick a method that doesn't invove pills. From what I have been researching, you can still safely breastfeed even with the norplant. YOu just can't have it implanted until 6 weeks after the baby is born......

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 06:37 PM
i dont know norplant well but with estrogen base contraceptives they have a risk of drying up milk supply, so make sure to research them carefull before you choose one if you are breastfeeding.

i ahve heard of some taking depo and being ok, but ive hear otherwise as well

Eleni

happycats
June 13th, 2005, 06:39 PM
How about an IUD?

lilith_rizel
June 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM
That is the reason why I am looking for the right method for us now. We have aprox. 5 months now to figure out what we are going to do.....

lilith_rizel
June 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
How about an IUD?

Was thinking about that, but I guess it isn't suggested for women who want more children......

happycats
June 13th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I have one, and I was never told that. I have also tried just about everything else, and this is the best by far!

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 06:45 PM
if you want more kids they just remove it and you can start ttc immediately

I was gonna have an iud but turned up pregnant with Ty oops.. :o

now im looking for permanence so im getting a tubal ligation

Eleni

happycats
June 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
if you want more kids they just remove it and you can start ttc immediately

Yup, thats what I was told too.

No side effects, and you don't even know it's there :)

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I don't like the IUD because the egg can still get fertilized and the IUD just prevents it from sticking to the wall of the uterus... Sounds like a mini-abortion to me. I just find it weird, but some people I know swear by it. I just think if you go around wasting fertilized eggs, when you actually want one, you might not get it... My superstition, I guess.

Depo-- the side effects usually occur when you stop. And they don't advise it if you are planning to have kids because you can remain infertile for 6 months to 6 years after stopping. It also causes irreversible bone loss and the chief researcher has said that he would not use it yet (given the option) and would wait until further tests are done to determine if it is really safe.

The patch-- I wear the Ortho Evra patch. I love it. I was put on it because I was having side-effects to every pill I tried. Supposedly, since pill hormones are injested, your system breaks down some of the components, leading to secondary compounds that travel all over your body and cause the side effects. Because the patch secretes them through your skin and directly into the blood stream, much less is broken down and there are less side effects.

You or your man change it every week on the same day and you have a full 24 hours to change it. Not too hard to remember. The only time it is crucial is the first patch of the cycle. I wear my patch on my back, basically on my shoulder blade, switching sides every week. I have been using it for well over a year and the only patch I have ever lost was the one I attempted to try out on my a**. I sat down a couple times too many and the patch moved so much that by the time I had a shower, it peeled off.

On my back, I have NEVER lost or even nearly lost one (not even in this high heat and humidity, and not even after my notoriously long showers :) a girl's gotta relax somehow...). You just have to find a place that doesn't move much, where the skin won't stretch or crumple, and your clothes won't rub on it. I think the back and the outer upper arm work best. And the up side is if you put it on your back, your man has to change it (you can equally as easily change it, but it's a good excuse to make him do it). I take the hormones, he remembers to change it. I used to think it was so unfair that the man can ask you if you took your pill like 2 times a month. If I remembered my pill as often as my man did, I'd have babies all over the place. :D

The only issue I have, well, two issues, are that you sunburn more easily when you're on the patch (all the more reason to stay out of the sun like we should), and some women can't wear contact lenses while on the patch. They are uncomfortable. I went through 9 brands of lenses before a good pharmacist stuck a warning label on my patches one day... "May cause contact lenses to be uncomfortable". :rolleyes:

Another new option is a vaginal ring. You insert it once a week and it sits on your cervix. It's a small ring that secretes hormones into the skin (like the patch does). No worries about falling off, it's the same hormones and again once a week is better then every day. You just have to be comfortable with yourself. :) (personally I'd rather stick something to my back... :o )

Is that helpful?

lilith_rizel
June 14th, 2005, 09:15 AM
thanks guys

Schwinn
June 14th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I would think the patch would be 100%, if you put it in the right spot! :D

And I know most people would probably be surprised a man would mention this, but what about a vasectamy? Or do you know you want more kids? It's reversable, so if you don't think you do, but afraid you might, it doesn't eliminate that possibility.

There's a place up here called the "no scalpal" technique. Ever see that clip-art with the duck and the big mallot getting ready to smash the computer? Everytime I hear the advertisment, I think of that, except instead of a computer, it's the man's...never mind...

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM
the no scalpal method is actually supposed to be quite gentle,

we were looking into it for Brian, but he really cant afford to take time off work

we are still considering it, safer to ahve us both fixed incase one doesnt take

I REALLY dont want more kids heh i love my crew but ive got all i can handle

Eleni

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 09:45 AM
In Ann Landers a LONG time ago, there was a couple who were both tied and they ended up getting pregnant anyway (something like a 0.0000001% chance), and they thought the baby was the best thing that ever happened to them. It's hard not to think it's meant to be with those odds...

Ask your gyno or pharmacist about the patch. A lot of them still don't know too much about it, so you might get spotty info. I love my patches. :) (except maybe when my hair gets caught in them...)

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 09:58 AM
In Ann Landers a LONG time ago, there was a couple who were both tied and they ended up getting pregnant anyway (something like a 0.0000001% chance), and they thought the baby was the best thing that ever happened to them. It's hard not to think it's meant to be with those odds...

in that case id accept it as fate but I want to try and prevent future kids if i can help it

a friend of mine got pregnant 4 yrs after her husbands vas. talk about shock eh

heh

Eleni

raingirl
June 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I had a friend in highschool. He was an "accident". His parents didn't want kids, so they both had a vas/tubes tied. He was born 16 years later!! Talk about surprise.

I personally am obsessed with birthcontrol. I am on the pill and we use condoms. never had a problem. My doc told me that taking the pill anytime within a 4 hour window is fine. I can take it at 8 pm or 12 am, and should be fine. But we use condoms too just incase.

lilith_rizel
June 14th, 2005, 10:05 AM
yes, we are having more kids. LOL I want 3 or 4, james may want up to 6.

Plus, I woudn't want him to get that done. If we were going to do something permanent like that, I would get my tubes tide.

Safyre
June 14th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I am really shocked that the owmen of this website would get thier tubes tied over thier men getting a vasectomy.
There is less recovery time and the procedure is way less invasive for men. What is the reason for them NOT to have it done?
They don't have to take time off work, not as much as a women would, so thats not really a true reason. (sounds more like an excuse by the guy not to loose what he considers his manhood)

I though it was the sweetest thing in the world a few years back when my friends husband, who is straight outta the militairy, tough guy, has a vasectomy, since his wife went through the pain of labour.
My bestfriend's husband will do the same when they are done with children as well.

I'm not meaning this post to upset anyone, I am just amazed. Since knowing about a vasectomy, i will not get my tubes tied, there is no reason for it if you plan on staying with the same guy fro the rest of your child bearing life.

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM
im getting my tubes tied as well as mu husband getting done

if it were only one of us it would be him lol

lilith_rizel
June 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I know not many women think the way I do. I think it has something to do with all my friends being male. LOL. Seriously though, out of all my friends, I can think of two that are female, the rest are all male.....

Lizzie
June 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I don't see what having male friends has to do with getting your tubes tied vs a vas for your man?

I agree with the idea that it's the least a man can do. Why is it solely the woman's job to protect herself from pregnancy. Marriage is a partnership....you harvest the baby and deliver it...he can certainly lock up his swimmers for you.

lilith_rizel
June 14th, 2005, 11:25 AM
He had also said that he doesn't want me to get my tubes tied. So we are both disagreeing on who is going to do what. I think the reason why I don't want him to get himself fixed, so to speak, is becasue our insurance doesn't cover that, but covers me getting fixed.... lol

But as far as opinionsof other things, I tend to lean more with the guys on things..... Sorry ladies....

Schwinn
June 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM
The procedure for a man is reversible, while a woman it isn't. Apparently they can put in some sort of spigot or something. I'd go high-priced, though. Last thing you want is to go cheap and wind up with the tap off a laundry tub. Tough to find pants that fit, and finding matching shoes would be a bugger...

Lizzie
June 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM
But as far as opinionsof other things, I tend to lean more with the guys on things..... Sorry ladies....

This is really picky, I know...but not all men have that view....so to say you side with "guys" is really not accurate. You side with those guys who feel it is a woman's responsibility to prevent pregnancy.

It's A-OK if you choose that route for your own family, but I think in fairness to men we must not group them all into the same bundle. Just like some of us differ from your view, men are in the same boat!

As far as non-surgical BC, I would suggest setting up an appointment with a gynocologist. They are in the best position to assess your personal needs and match you to a BC method. There are also tons of sites on the internet that can help you decide.

Here are some to help you compare options:

http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/
http://www.itsyoursexlife.com/preg_sub2.html
http://www.orthoevra.com/birth-control/birth-control-options.html
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/medicalinfo/birthcontrol/

lilith_rizel
June 14th, 2005, 11:43 AM
well, if our insurance would cover that, we would think about it, possibly. But it doesn't, atleast not on our base. All we have is a clinic. Have to drive to another base for hospital visits....

I am not sure what we are going to do yet. Just have to talk about all our options first.......

lilith_rizel
June 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I will be talking to mine on my next appointment. I know that the pill and depo will be out of the question though...

Writing4Fun
June 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM
The procedure for a man is reversible, while a woman it isn't. Apparently they can put in some sort of spigot or something. I'd go high-priced, though. Last thing you want is to go cheap and wind up with the tap off a laundry tub. Tough to find pants that fit, and finding matching shoes would be a bugger...
http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-rotfl10.gif http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-rotfl5.gif I'm picturing an old-fashined brass tap...

Safyre, after my last son was born, my OB told me that having a tubal was a simple process these days, it happens in his office on an out-patient basis. I don't think it's as invasive as it used to be. Having said that, I've told hubby that I've already been through two c-sections, the least he can do is put a leash on his boys! So far, he agrees with me, but is too chicken to go through with it. :p

Bearsmom
June 14th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I was "spayed" righted after my c section with Robbie. I figured, as long as they're in there anyways.....

kandy
June 14th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I was on the pill for a long time - never had any problems. After a long time, I was tired of having to take the pill everyday, so I went on Depo for a while and although I really liked the no period thing - I gained more than 40 lbs in the five years I took it. It apparently lowers your metabolism at the same time that it increases your appetite - great! Hubby had a vasectomy, had it done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. No muss, no fuss.

Jackie467
June 14th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I took the pill for about 3 years, never had a prob. But now SO and I are trying to have a baby, we can't. Been trying for about a year now and nothing. So now we are not really trying anymore. Guess I don't have to worry about birth control anymore. If we don't get preggo in a while we're going to go to the doctor and find out whats wrong, after the insurence kicks in. I don't know a whole lot about BC but I can tell you that once I stopped taking the pill I gained about 50lbs and my skin went crazy.

Jackie467
June 14th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I forgot to ask, does anyone know anything about a pill that makes you have only 4 periods a year? I saw it avertised on T.V. a while back but I can't remember the name. Suposedly it's perfectly safe and just as affective as the regular pill. But I was leary about taking something so new so I didn't ask about it last time I was at the gyno. Does anyone know anything about it?

kandy
June 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
That pill (and I can't remember the name either) is pretty much the same as Depo I think - both are synthetic progesterone which makes your body think its pregnant already - hence the no periods or once in a while periods. I don't know anyone who has used it, so I can't tell you much about it, but your gyn should know.

Safyre
June 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
tubal ligation is still more invasive then a vasectomy.... i was just wondering what more ppl's opinions on it were.
Eleni - I mis understood and thought only you were getting 'fixed'
Anyone that has had a tubal during c-section, thats really the only time i would consider it, myself. If i was already having surgery, doing one more thing isn't hard.

As for actual birth control, I am on depo, have been for years. I got pregnant while on the pill, and miscarried, and well, that scared me enough to go to what i considered a more depenable option, one I couldn't mess up and forget or anything like that, so Depo it was.

Beaglemom
June 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I forgot to ask, does anyone know anything about a pill that makes you have only 4 periods a year? I saw it avertised on T.V. a while back but I can't remember the name. Suposedly it's perfectly safe and just as affective as the regular pill. But I was leary about taking something so new so I didn't ask about it last time I was at the gyno. Does anyone know anything about it?

I think the one you are talking about is called Seasonale. It is basically like your regular BC pill except that you take it everyday for 3 months and then you go off it for a week at which time you have your normal period and then you are back on it for 3 months. You can basically do the same thing with regular BCPs, I've done it a few times when it having a period is inconvenient, such as in the middle of my vacation.

Jackie467
June 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM
seasonale, that's it. I knew you could do that with your regular pills but is it safe? Do they do something to the seasonale that makes it safer? I think I might try it, I HATE having my period.

pamha
June 14th, 2005, 04:21 PM
My DH was the one adamant about not having more kids (we have 2 living) so I let him take care of being sure that didn`t happen. He actually volunteered to have the vas. I think he did it on a Fri. too, so only one day off work. He had to spend a day or 2 with his feet up and an ice pack, but it was a lot easier on him than it would have been on me. :thumbs up

It really steams me up when women go through surgery cause their man is too chicken to have his boys messed with.

Lizzie
June 14th, 2005, 05:02 PM
seasonale, that's it. I knew you could do that with your regular pills but is it safe? Do they do something to the seasonale that makes it safer? I think I might try it, I HATE having my period.

It is safe to do it with normal BCPs however you must ensure you follow the directions for your specific BCP. For instance, people on a triphasic pill must open two packs to do this safely....instructions are included to explain which pills to take when and for how long in the second month in a row.

For those on monophasic pills, you can just keep taking them.

doggy lover
June 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM
You guys crack me up. I got spayed, no more puppies for me. I use to take the pill before I got snipped, but only for a couple of years. I only wanted 2 kids and I had a boy and a girl so no use going back I wouldn't get something different. I also almost lost my son to SIDS and as it can be passed on I wasn't taking any more chances.

heidiho
June 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM
How about no sex/////////////Just kiddin

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 10:48 PM
It's easier to do the vacation/prolonging thing on the patch. If you need "extra time" on the pill, you have to take two packs worth in a row. On the patch, you can just put on a 4th patch and move it all just a week. They also are supposed to start selling individual patches (it screws up the box rhythm when you use an extra one).

All I can say is be careful with Depo. The full long term studies haven't finished and so far they don't look great. These are the vessels that are going to carry you through life, best to mess with them as little as possible...

Safyre
June 14th, 2005, 11:00 PM
You keep mentioning that Prin, and to be honest, you are the only person I have ever heard state anything horrible about Depo.. do you have links to any studies?

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 11:07 PM
There was a week of it in the Montreal Gazette in the winter. Every day they had a story about it... I'll try to find it.

Safyre
June 14th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I'm very leary of your comments, only because well.. docotrs can never agree.
Studies show differrent things all the time and ..well, I have experienced incorrect medical judgement before... an to be honest. Depo is one i actually agree with my doctor on. so i gotta see some proof that it is bad...

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Here's one scary article I have found just now..

http://www.journalism.ubc.ca/thunderbird/2005.03/features/depoprovera.html

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 11:19 PM
And this was said by Pfizer:
Depo-Provera Contraceptive should be used as a long-term birth control method (eg, longer than 2 years) only if other birth control methods are inadequate.

Safyre
June 14th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I found some horror stories as well, but I'm wondering how many studies have shown these symptoms as well.
Also, it says something about bone loss ... so my thought it, I shattered my arm while on this drug, woudln't they have mentioned something to me, maybe a longer healing tim if bone loss is occuring.
As for the length of use, suggested for 2+ yrs.. i have been on it close to three already.

Edit; dont' take offense,thinking out loud in this post is all

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 11:41 PM
That's the thing, in 1991 studies had already shown that teens had severe irreversible bone loss and they hid that from the public till last year. Now advocates are wondering if Pfizer will pay for all the medical bills of the girls prescribed the drug who get very premature osteoporosis....

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 05:20 AM
my friend has a bad xperience with depo

she gained alot of weight and it took her more then 3 years to get her fertility back, in fact she ended up getting pregnant only after taking fertility meds

Eleni

happycats
June 15th, 2005, 05:53 AM
I was on Depo for a while, and I stopped because I seemed to have PMS the whole time I was on it, and hubby was becoming very aggitated as he didn't know if he was coming or going with me!! :evil:

As for the adverse side effects, they have been using it for years in europe, and they used it here for many many years on the intellectually challenged! They claim the side effects are less then they "pill" :) .

jackieb
June 15th, 2005, 06:01 AM
I take the bc pill at the moment due to medical reasons but my hubby is going for a vaestomy as we dont want any more. My sister had the patch and she also had alot of side affects. you can have a injection which stops your period all together i felt this was mucking about with your body. The coil can give you infections it also disgards the egg which i didnt like. My hubby and i used the natural method not guaranteed for a while im now on the bc but im hoping to be able to come off.

raingirl
June 15th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Everyone I know who tried Depo (people I have talked to online and known in person) had severe problems. Bleeding for months on end (one person bled for 2 years straight after taking it), huge weight gain, no period for years after stopping, not being able to get pregnant. If you want to hear horror stories, go to the fertility message boards over at ivillage.com...

Safyre, you are the only person I have ever heard from who didn't have any problems with it.

kandy
June 15th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I was on Depo for over 5 years, and although I definitely didn't like the weight gain, I wouldn't say that it was a severe side effect. Some people never gain weight at all with it. Everyone reacts differently to any given medication, so its tough to say what any one person will experience. I wouldn't worry about taking Depo again if I had to - although I would be more vigilant about what I ate :)

charoscoe
June 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Just for the record, my youngest bro was born after my mum had a tubal reversal.
I'm all for have the guy fixed. We don't have any kids yet but we've already talked about it and he agrees - unless for some reason I have to have a c-section for the last one, in that case I'll get done because it's easier.

As for Depo....STAY AWAY.
It can take up to 2 years to become pregnant once you stop. I have been off it for 2 years now and me periods are still not normal (I did not have a period while on depo).

I have a hard time remembering to take pills too, also they mess up my system.

My doctor put me on the ring 6 months ago and so far no complaints or side effects. You put it in and leave it for 3 weeks you don't feel it al all.. The hormones are milder than the pill.

charoscoe
June 15th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Oh ya, I put on 50lbs with Depo.

Prin
June 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Some gynos warn that it can take up to 6 years to become fertile again (I said it before...)

Safyre
June 15th, 2005, 10:53 AM
There are a few reasons I have chosen Depo, first of all, I am young and do not plan on getting married or having children until i am at LEAST 25 yrs old. i am 22.
My periods were never regular, and that is why I was put on the pill in the first place. Slight problem occured: about every two months or so, with my period, my blood pressure DROPPED like a lead ballon and I fainted. in school, outta school, at work.. couldn't drive. SOO, sorta needed something that would stop the periods, if i was going to be using birth control. At the time,the doc recommended Depo .. and thats what I have been on since.
I havn't had any symptoms that ppl talk about... i dunno why, but for me, it works.

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
There are a few reasons I have chosen Depo, first of all, I am young and do not plan on getting married or having children until i am at LEAST 25 yrs old. i am 22.

Yeah, that was me, a while back. But DH and I dated for 9 months, got married at 19, and decided to have a baby 3 months later. I was only 20, hubby still 19 when we had our little girl. But we wouldn't change it for the world. We will both be 21 when we have the new baby. So we started early.... Alot of people think we're nuts.... But hey, as long as we're happy right?

Safyre
June 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I have no problem with ppl starting early, Imyself, choose not to. I'd arther have my business up and running before starting a family, or settling down. I doubt my business will work well in Chatham, so I have to move at some point, so.. for that reason i'm waiting for kids. do i want them, oh h*ll yeah, but its just not the best time for me.

lilith_rizel
June 15th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I completely understand that. You want to make sure your finances are in order, and that you have a home and all that stuff you need. James and I did that too. It was just easier for us, being that he gets all that stuff from the military! But once his 4 years are over, he is out. I told him so, and he agrees, it is too stressful on the family, and the baby hardly gets to see him. But we have planned for the future, and basically what is going to happen is we are going to switch places, so to speake. I will bring in the money, while he stays at home with the kids. We both agreed that this is the way it will work best for the family.

Safyre
June 15th, 2005, 03:47 PM
My bestfriend stays home while her husband works as well, first baby due July 3rd.
For myself, it wasn't the best idea toget married young and have kids right away. no one is ever really financially ready, you figure out how to afford them. but i have to get my business up and running, just due to what it is, before creating a family.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 15th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I have been on the pill while breast feeding and it was not a problem for me.

I usually forgot to take the pill and switched to the patch, and it did fall off on occasion, you have to basically put a new one on. I went off of it as it was too expensive, then when back on the pill, which I again forgot to take, so now we are just using condoms, but I want my hubby to get fixed as I figured I did all the work having the kids, and his operation is less invasive than mine.

doggy lover
June 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
My husband was going to get the op until a friend of his had it done and whined about how sore his parts were and that they were swollen like grapefruits and then the whole idea went out of the window. I just went to the doctor one day booked it in and told him about it 2 days before I had it done. I hate waiting on other people and I didn't want to take the pill no more so, end of story.

Prin
June 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I have been on the pill while breast feeding and it was not a problem for me. It's not usually a problem for the mom but for the baby. The hormones end up in the breast milk. :eek:

Eleni
June 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM
it actually can be a problem for mom,

it can dry up the milk, not sure about what the pill would do to the baby

usually very little quantities of medications and such actually reach the baby.

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/oral_contraceptives.jsp

here is a link that mentions it,

ve never experienced it first hand since I dont use the pill, and i have always had enough milk to feed a large army heh

there is a progesterone only pill that doesnt reduce supply but ill be darned if i could find a link about it

Eleni

twinmommy
June 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM
It's not usually a problem for the mom but for the baby. The hormones end up in the breast milk.

This is true, however, when you are breastfeeding, you take a progesterone ONLY pill. This pill has no effect on your milk supply and is completely safe with BF. The problem is that it is VERY weak. If you forget, you only have 2 hours grace period then you have to use condoms that month, instead of the good ole "take 2 the day after" :rolleyes: with pills containing the estrogen also.

twinmommy
June 16th, 2005, 11:39 AM
there is a progesterone only pill that doesnt reduce supply but ill be darned if i could find a link about it

Check out Micronor.www.ortho-mcneil.com/healthinfo/ womenshealth/related/different.html

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 16th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Prin:
It's not usually a problem for the mom but for the baby. The hormones end up in the breast milk. __________________

My doctor said it was okay, I was on my same birth control I have been on since I was in my 20's. I breast fed for three years, as far as I can tell both my kids are pretty normal. My four year old even counted to a hundred the other day.

Prin
June 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Ya? :confused: LOL Why's it under the line? It looks like it's your quote...?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 16th, 2005, 11:08 PM
this is what Prin wrote
It's not usually a problem for the mom but for the baby. The hormones end up in the breast milk.

and this is my reply:

My doctor said it was okay, I was on my same birth control I have been on since I was in my 20's. I breast fed for three years, as far as I can tell both my kids are pretty normal. My four year old even counted to a hundred the other day.

I am not sure why the line is there or how to get rid of it am I doing something wrong.

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I don't know... It's weird. I've never seen the line in an answer before. You're not adding it? It's the line that (usually) separates your signature... :confused:

mafiaprincess
June 17th, 2005, 12:09 AM
when I was in High School, I took a world geography humanity like course in OAC.. so 5 years ago now. I saw a video about norplant being used in 3rd world countries. The women weren't warned about the side effects, and no one would tell them what was going on when a lot of them were getting severe side effects like massive bleeding. I've read articles since that 3rd world women are still being used as guinea pigs in disturbing ways, especially with norplant. In some cases, the BC being used was earlier generations of what we have on the shelves.. in some cases it was the same version we are being offered even now.

I've also read that there can be some pretty spectacular side effects. I shouldn't cast stones since I'm on my 5th year of depo since I'm pretty young. But some of these made me squirm reading them about norplant. I mean some are normal, but the risk of blood clots seems abnormally higher, and vision impairment makes me a lil iffy. I'm not sure if it is back on the market yet.. but norplant was pulled in the US, I'm unsure how long ago though. You can keep it if you have it.. but you can't get it replaced after your 5 years if you want more.

There are downfalls with all BC it seems.. but having norplant pulled in the US would make me wonder a little more than other BC methods. Just my 2 cents.

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Vision trouble and clots are possible side-effects of any hormone contraceptives. In England, there was a class action law suit against a pharma company for not stating more clearly the possible chances of stroke. I think they're clear, but people seem to rarely read the insert in the package carefully and seriously.

The risks always seem unimportant until they happen to you, or someone you know... :(

Sneaky2006
June 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I would just like to add that I was on Depo after I had my son. I was on it for about 18months (I think I had 6 shots total, maybe) and had to stop because I would bleed for a month at a time, also gaining tons of weight. My cycle is still not right (although that could be a whole different problem) I don't get my period often, but when I do now it lasts too long and is too heavy. Last shot I had was over 7 years ago.

Prin
June 18th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I've always felt that doctors are not always forthcoming and quite often, they just don't know. That is why I feel that the more we talk about our experiences with different methods and different pills, the stronger we all are. Sharing your difficulties, like Sneaky just did, empowers us all. We have this idea that because a drug is on the market and it's popular, it's safe and that is totally not the case with birth control. Most of these pills are put out by patriarchal companies who decide what side-effects WOMEN can and can't live with.

A few friends of mine and I were all on Marvelon (a pill). This pill is so popular here in Montreal because the drug companies have given gynos and hospitals soooo many free samples. I had 14 (!!) free samples of Marvelon given to me. 14!! When you're young, have no health insurance or don't want to tell your parents so they can claim it, it's a fantastic deal. About 2.5 years into it, we all started to have trouble. I had a miscarriage of nothing that lasted 3 days and was excruciating. Another one of my friends bled every day for 3 years (her male gyno's response was "You're bleeding. So?"). She finally go it under control last month. Another one has insufferable cramps WHENEVER. This pill is also one that increases your risk of breast cancer the most of all the pills. Great. So I tell people what I know about Marvelon. Some don't care. My boyfriend's sister is on it and she doesn't believe me, even though her friend also had to get off it for painful reasons. I guess she'll have to find out the hard way too.

Sure, not everybody has horrible side-effects, but when the side effects are so horrible that you would regret taking it later on, or you wouldn't even risk potentially having them, it's good to at least have access to ALL of the information about it beforehand.