Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Litter box issue

ladyredspider
June 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I have three indoor cats - Griff, Marble and Daisy (two females and one male) Two of the three have been with us for almost two years (Griff and Marble) but Daisy just came into this home with our new roommate about three months ago. Daisy, for some unknown reason, just this morning decided to poop on the couch. I caught her in the act and I don't understand why this happened. She knows where the litter box is (and does use it regularly.) Why would a cat do this? I know that they spray to mark their territory, but none of our cats do this. Is this "marking" or just a freak accident? Will this continue to happen and what can you do to prevent this - if you can?

Copper'sMom
June 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM
How many litter boxes do you have?? There should be one box per cat to be safe!

ladyredspider
June 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM
We have two, but the one is big. Griff and Marble use one litter box and Daisy has her own.

Copper'sMom
June 13th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'll be honest with you, litterbox issues are not always easy to solve! To be safe, Daisy may need to be seen by a vet to rule out any medical problems. Did the poo look normal? Did anything recently occur (besides the move 3 months ago) that may have made her upset or scared?

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
a cat not going in their box is usually a big deal

i can only think of a few reasons this might happen

one, a clenliness issue, the box isnt clean or there isnt enough boxes per cats in the house

second a change they dont like, change in litter, new house, new pet etc.

and the last is a health issue, not fixed or sick

seriously your first thing is to make sure the box is clean, if it is Id seriously consider taking her to the vet for a check up to be sure she is feeling her best

Eleni

ladyredspider
June 13th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Yeah it looked normal but there was a lot of it, and I'll tell you it smelled normal too (yuck.)
The only thing that I can think of is that Marble and Daisy don't get along (but that's typical of female cats.) Other than that, there's nothing that has changed or happened to her (that I'm aware of.)

ladyredspider
June 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I personally clean out the boxes daily (and completely replace the litter about once to twice a month) and haven't changed the litter brand or anything ever. There isn't any sign that she's sick or anything is bothering her. She's just as usual. This is why I'm confused.

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM
maybe shes avoiding the litter because the other cat is scaring her away from it?

thats happend with my cats before, you can solve this by putting a box just for her in a safe place where the other cat is unlikely to go

if their litter isnt a safe place they will avoid it unfortunatly, so if hes picking on her that would be a good reason for her litter avoidance

Eleni

ladyredspider
June 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM
That thought did cross my mind due to Marble being a really brat to her. I'll have to try that - THANKS!!