Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Having a baby.

Heather MH
June 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.
A little back ground first.
I have 2 - almost 2 year old border collies. 1 male, 1 female. They are wonderful dogs, so much work but so worth it. We have had them since they were 12 weeks old and as you can imagine they have been our babies for the past 2 years. They are well socialized with both animals and humans alike. They are both well trained.
Well, now I am 7 months pregnant with our first child. Is there anything we should be doing before the baby comes to get them ready.
I guess the things that have changed for them is they are no longer allowed on our bed, there kennels are still in our room and they happily sleep there. This won't change. Now that the nursury is almost complete, we allow them in there but they must lay down and stay calm. No rough play with each other, no barking. It is a quiet room to them. Other then that I don't know.
I can't imagine them being agressive towards the baby, but you never really know. I can see them being put out, but we will try very hard to continue giving them all the border collie attention they need and deserve.
I should mention the only behaviour problem we have had with them has been in recent months. Once this winter we went away for the weekend and my sister stayed with them, she left our bedroom door opened and one of them peed on our bed. We figured it was because they were angry at us. Just about a week ago we went out for a few hours and had forgotten to close our bedroom door, they again peed on our bed. They have run of the house during the day with exception to bedrooms or bathrooms. They have not had any other accidents in the house, not that those were accidents.
I find this to be a very jealous action, and it makes me wonder if we are in for trouble.

Sorry this was so long. Any advice is appriciated.

Bearsmom
June 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Sounds like you've got it pretty much all under control.

One of the biggest things I've seen people do is freak out and or banish their dogs once the baby arrives.

Have your husband bring home a receiving blanket that the baby has been wrapped in from the hospital and let the dogs smell it, roll on it, whatever.

With our mastiff mix, we gave him the blanket and gave him the "gentle" command (we also do this command with small kids or dogs that are around them). We also gave Bear (Kaos wasn't around yet) lots of love and attention once the baby came home.

One thing we did was when the baby went to bed, we'd have nothing but tonnes of attention for Bear. He knew that was HIS time, and he didn't feel left out.

Shortly after Robbie was born, I left him in the care of one of my friends. When I got home, my friend said that Robbie fussed a bit, and Bear plunked himself down beside her and STARED at her.

He's very protective of Robbie now.

Angeleyes1437
June 13th, 2005, 10:45 PM
You definitely seem to be doing everything right. I have never been pregnant... yet- I'm only 22. However, my close friend just recently had a baby. Peeing on your bed can definitely be a act of spite, so I wouldn't read into it too much. However, my friend had that same problem when she was pregnant- her dog would pee on anything with her scent. When my friend visited my sister and I, my sisters dogs peed on her legs! BOTH OF THEM!!!

So I guess there may be something tied with dogs peeing and pregnant women. Yet, when the baby was born my friends collie/lab/ABPT mix was ready and willing to take the role of big sister!

You have everything under control, and even when the bundle of joy comes don't forget to spend plenty of time with your other ones... they may become depressed if they loose/think they are loosing your attention or love.