Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Signs of allergies

levimh
June 13th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I was just wondering what are signs of allergies in dogs. I'm aware of the biting/licking feet and wiping their faces/snouts. Are there any others?

Cactus Flower
June 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Recurring ear infections, scratching ears (even without infection present), bad dandruff, skin that is hot/inflamed, bumps or rash on skin etc. They don't have to have all of these symptoms, of course.

Safyre
June 13th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Well, i had no idea my dog had allergies till her annual vet visit today.
The symptoms: red ears (floppy eared dog, the inside is reddish but not inflamed or dirty), running eyes, running nose, itchy bum (like when they try to release anal glands, but no smell)
This season, in my are (sw ontario) its poplar pollen

levimh
June 13th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks for replying! I want to be able to catch these things, so he doesn't have to suffer because of my lack of knowledge. Appreciate the help. :)

Prin
June 13th, 2005, 11:42 PM
What CF said and just plain itchy skin too, and/or hair loss. Ears tend to smell rank when they are infected, sometimes with an abundance of sort of reddy-brown substance inside (smelly).

Cactus Flower
June 14th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Hopefully our darling Levi is not exhibiting any of these symptoms?

:fingerscr

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Also-- being violently ill every time a doggy eats a specific thing can also mean an intolerance.

levimh
June 14th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Hopefully our darling Levi is not exhibiting any of these symptoms?
Well, the last couple of days he was having some eye trouble, which I believed it to be caused by allergies. At first I thought he had something in his eye, but then it went to the next eye, the next day. They didn't seem to bother him either, but both eyes are alright now. :)

I just wanted to know what to look for, so I wouldn't get myself worked up thinking it was something major.

Dogastrophe
June 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Since the grass and pollens started coming out two of our three have had more than 'normal' eye goop (I'm quite certain that is the technical term!). Depending on the day, we sometimes clean their eyes four or five times. In the winter, both of their eyes are clean.

levimh - maybe it's the Hali air doing it.

gomez
June 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM
What type of allergy makes dogs bite and lick their feet?

levimh
June 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Since the grass and pollens started coming out two of our three have had more than 'normal' eye goop (I'm quite certain that is the technical term!). Depending on the day, we sometimes clean their eyes four or five times. In the winter, both of their eyes are clean.
I'm now certain that it's allergies - thanks! :) Is there something I can buy or something I can do to make it less annoying for him. It doesn't seem like it bothers him, but I feel bad and want to help.

levimh - maybe it's the Hali air doing it.
I wouldn't doubt it one bit! Haha!

Prin
June 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
What type of allergy makes dogs bite and lick their feet?
For Jemma, it's grass and ragweed, but it can really be anything.

Cactus Flower
June 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM
If he really starts becoming bothered, you can ask your vet how much Benadryl (or any generic equivalent) to give him. I haven't met a vet yet that doesn't approve of that treatment, but best to make sure it's ok with him/her first, of course.
Benadryl works well for Raj, but during the peak of the season, she needs a cortisteroid shot. This gives her OVER A MONTH of relief. Her allergies are very severe, though.

Dogastrophe
June 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
If he really starts becoming bothered, you can ask your vet how much Benadryl (or any generic equivalent) to give him. I haven't met a vet yet that doesn't approve of that treatment, but best to make sure it's ok with him/her first, of course.
Benadryl works well for Raj, but during the peak of the season, she needs a cortisteroid shot. This gives her OVER A MONTH of relief. Her allergies are very severe, though.

We give Monty a half (generic brand) benadryl each morning and it has done wonders with his seasonal allergies. He still gets eye goop but does not get the sleep all day, barely eat, generally feel bad symptoms that he would get at least once a week. When Lucy was 10 mos old she was having a reaction to something that she ate / got into. As an interim solution while waiting to get her into the vet we gave her half a benadryl. She spent the entire night running up and down the stairs and may have slept 15 mins over the course of the evening. Vet said that some dogs have the same reaction to allergy meds as children do -- the box says "may cause drowsiness", the child says "we'll see about that" as they go tearing through the house at breakneck speed.