Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Could it be missing tooth causing a problem?

Beaglemom
June 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
At the end of March, Misty had her regular annual exam and was then scheduled to go in to have her teeth cleaned. She had one tooth removed (her premolar, I believe). Ever since then she has been having difficulty eating her regular dry food. She eats her dry treats fine, with no problem and the food she does steal, she eats without a problem. It is only her regular dry food. (She is now eating Solid Gold dry food and loves it)

We moisten her food with water and she eats perfectly fine, it is only when it is dry. Could it be that it bothers her to be missing that tooth? Everything else is perfect. The vet says everything is great with her. We don't mind moistening her food, we just want to make sure everything is alright.

She even allows us to touch her teeth and gums. I brush them at least once a week.

Luba
June 13th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Can you explain what you mean by difficulty?

Beaglemom
June 13th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Before having her extraction, she wolfed down her food without any problems. Now she eats slower, almost like it hurts her to chew. But, if we wet her food, she wolfs it down. She also wolfs down any treats we give her.

Luba
June 13th, 2005, 12:11 PM
If there's no problem with you massaging the gums or brushing I'd say there may not be a pain issue esp when treats are eaten quickly etc...

Did the vet give you a oral rinse product to ensure of no infection and have you checked to be sure there isn't any inflammation in the area where the tooth was pulled.

It can take months for a socket to completely heal over so it may just be time and patience.

No harm in wetting the food and if there is a small opening maybe some food was getting in there...if you can rinse the area atleast once a day that would be helpful if there's an opening still :D

Beaglemom
June 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks Luba. She did have antibiotics when the tooth was extracted but no oral rinse. I'm going to have a much better look. She does allow me to massage her gums. She loves her doggie toothpaste since it tastes like beef. I think that may be the reason she loves her teeth brushed!

I will talk to her vet about an oral rinse.

Luba
June 13th, 2005, 12:30 PM
You are most welcome :D

Beaglemom
June 24th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Misty had her teeth examined and all looks good with the area that the tooth was extracted. There is no infection and it healed nicely. For the time being, we will continue to wet her food for a bit longer until it heals 100%.

Prin
June 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM
She could just be getting lazy... :D

There is a spray like Scope for dogs that you can try out if you want a rinse..

Otherwise, I'd get the Solid Gold Sea Meal-- you have to put a bit in the bowl, then add water, then the food. It would give you an excuse to wet the food all the time. :)

Beaglemom
June 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM
She is a little lazy, I must admit! Definitely not a morning dog! I have to drag her out of bed sometimes. :rolleyes:

Where would I get the spray?

We just switched her to the Solid Gold Mmellium Beef & Barley. She loves that, but then again, she will eat anything! We just add a little bit of warm water and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then she gobbles it all up.

Prin
June 25th, 2005, 12:11 AM
The spray you can get at the vet. Solid Gold Sea Meal you can ask about where you buy the food. It's just sea weed loaded with vitamins and enzymes... I give my doggies about 1/3 of what they are supposed to get and I find the stools firmer, etc, that's why I recommended it... Plus, since you're already wetting the food... :)

Beaglemom
June 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks Prin.

SnowDancer
June 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM
When our Beagle was the same age as Misty he decided he also stopped wolfing down his dry food and we had to switch to a different food with more moisture. We took him to the vet because when a Beagle or a Dachshund slows down with the eating, definitely it must be checked out. Although he had not lost a tooth, the vet said it was just changing tastes and I hate to say it, but "maturing" teeth and gums. We had to do same with Wonder Wiener I - he had lost a couple of teeth - small mouths, too many teeth - so he went on a moist formula as well. Funny, though - no problem with human food. If "making gravy" works, why not?