Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Senior Cat - Toilet water????

KathyB
June 13th, 2005, 09:44 AM
We moved about a month ago and our senior female cat (age 17) has started wanting to drink from the toilet bowl on a regular basis. We have discouraged this by keeping the lids down. We give her fresh water at least 4 or 5 times a day, but she still wants to go into the shower and bathtub - anywhere there is water. The last couple of days she has started meowing and almost caterwauling for no apparent reason - she has fresh water, food and a clean box. Do you think this is a sign that she's not feeling well? Does she just want more attention? Maybe the new house? In the past we occasionally caught her in the toilet bowl drinking, but not very often - maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Any thoughts???

Rita
June 13th, 2005, 10:08 AM
You shouldn't let her drink from the toilet .... a lot of bacteria there :yuck:
Probably a good idea to get her checked out thoroughly by a vet ASAP

Lucky Rescue
June 13th, 2005, 10:13 AM
When one of my cats started wanting to drink from the toilet and nowhere else, I let her do it until she died at 18 years old. I kept the toilet clean and made sure never to put any chemicals in it.

I'm wondering if your cat could have diabetes or some other problem, if she is acting so desperate for this water. Agree with Rita - vet check and blood test.

Dogastrophe
June 13th, 2005, 10:18 AM
When one of my cats started wanting to drink from the toilet and nowhere else, I let her do it until she died at 18 years old. I kept the toilet clean and made sure never to put any chemicals in it.

This is the key if your pets are going to drink out of the toilet. The water supply in the tank is generally potable water, though it may pick up some rust from the valves, depending on the age of the components. The water can pick up potentially harmfull contaminants from the bowl. If you keep things very clean, it is likely (though certainly not impossible) that your cat will have no ill effects from the toilet water.

KathyB
June 13th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the advice - I think we will have her examined just to make sure she's okay. Although she seems desperate for water, she doesn't seem to be drinking or peeing any more than usual - she just wants at a different source. Otherwise she is in excellent health - she is bright, alert and pretty active for an indoor senior cat. She will even go choose a toy out of her basket to play with. She did seem to adjust to the move well and she appears to really love the new home. Anyway, with my last cat, I went through the awful business of kidney failure and its what eventually lead to my putting her down at 17 1/2 - so I am leery of this one when she seems so interested in water. You guys are great - thanks again!

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 10:57 AM
she fixed? this is the time of year female cats are going into heat

my cats like the water from the sink in my bathroom because its always cold, maybe put an ice cube or 2 in her dish to keep it cold.

i know my cats as long as their water is in a metal bowl and is ice cold they will stay out of the bathroom

i keep a child lock on the toilet so NO one gets a drink from there, toilet cleaners arent safe, and the bacteria :yuck:

just a thought

Eleni

Mockingcat
June 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM
If everything checks out ok, she may just be getting eccentric. Don't feel bad, Loki (at the age of 8) decided he only wanted to drink out of the fish bowl. *sigh* We bought an aquarium for the betta and then just kept the fishbowl full for the cat. *sigh* ;)

Prin
June 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM
My man's aunt leaves the bathroom tap running a super tiny bit because the cats only drink from there... Not to environmental, but neither are kitties dehydrating themselves to death...

april21h1
June 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM
My cats will mostly drink from the bathroom taps. They always have fresh water but our bathtub facset(SP) drips so they drink from that mostly. I always keep my toilet lid down.