Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sickly looking pittbull

Debbra
June 12th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I am a beagle owner my daughter and boy friend have 2 pittbulls one female one male. The female they claim is pregnant but she has lost so much weight you can see her ribs. This happened once to the male pitt. They say this weight loss is normal for expecting female pittbulls. Their friends pittbull did the same.Well if being pregnant is the cause what made the male loose so much weight you could see his ribs as well.I guess you can call me worrying grandmother of 2 pittsbulls ..lol I think it could be a canine illness, they say not. Anyone ever heard of these dogs looking like they are being straved to death look being caused by being pregnant? I am really concerned.

badger
June 12th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Seems an unlikely explanation to me, but I don't have any experience with pits. Have they taken the dog to a vet? That would be my first response. Poor thing, being bred in a world full of homeless pits, not to mention all the others. If they can't afford a vet and you have the means to pay, perhaps you could suggest a check-up (necessary for expectant mums even if they're healthy). If you feel the dogs are being mistreated (ie starved), then you have no choice but to call the authorities and have them seized. Radical, I know, but some people should just not have animals.

Lucky Rescue
June 12th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Pit bulls are dogs like any other, pregnant or not.

If you feel the dogs are being mistreated (ie starved), then you have no choice but to call the authorities and have them seized. Radical, I know, but some people should just not have animals.

Agree and have to add that irresponsible backyard breeding is bad enough with any breed, but with pit bulls it's outrageous.

Debbra
June 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM
they feed the dogs they just are not eating.

Mockingcat
June 12th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Usually if dogs don't have an apetite, they have health issues. These people are neglecting their dogs. If your dog didn't eat for a long enough period of time that it dropped a significant portion of weight, don't you think you'd take it to the vet? In most areas of the country it is ILLEGAL to let an animal sit at home and die without treatment, and is considered cruelty.

Debbra
June 12th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Well i called my daughter on my luch break. And told her a few things i had found out online as far as extreme weight loss.She says she will take to vet they really thought the weight loss was normal because fo what a pittbull owning griend told them.I said look this is no more normal then if you dropped from 135 to 35. I will keep on top of it.They go to vet or else.

Stacey1
June 16th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I don't know alot about what could cause a dog to stop eating, but is it possible
if the female isn't eating because of being pregnant, could the male be acting like this because of sympathy for the female. :confused:

I don't know if that made alot of sense, but what I am getting at is, I know with some humans if their spouse is sick, or feeling "yucky" (like any woman has when they are going to have a baby), some men will start to feel "off" themselves. Is it possible for male dogs to be that intuned to there mate, that they will start to feel "yucky" themselves. :sick:

I know myself when I was pregnant, I would eat anything that wasn't nailed down. :D

:ca:

Angeleyes1437
June 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM
There is no reason why it would be normal to lose weight, obviously their friend doesn't have a clue. I do not agree with your daughter and her boyfriend's choice to breed these dogs, especially with all of the animals (especially pit bull breeds) that sit in shelters. It's a shame when people get this breed and do not know about it. However, this dog is sick and needs to go to a vet asap. I am glad your daughter is taking her and it's wonderful that you care enough to come onto this forum. I suggest you speak to your daughter about neutering/spaying after this is over- it will make her dogs behave better and live healthier as well.

Debbra
June 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM
thank you for your comments.I can not stand to see any animals not being taken well care of. i will stick my nose in there affairs over those dogs even if i don't care for there animal choices.She is gaining wieght. she is scheduled to go to vet.
Thank you