Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This woman should be charged

badger
June 12th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Sunday, June 12, 2005 Posted: 1:05 PM EDT (1705 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The mother of a 12-year-old boy killed in his own home by one of the family's two pit bulls says she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

Maureen Faibish said she ordered Nicholas to stay in the basement while she did errands on June 3, the day he was attacked by one or both of the dogs.

She said she was worried about the male dog, Rex, who was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat.

"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: 'Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me."

Nicholas apparently found a way to open the basement door.

Despite her concerns about Rex that day, Faibish told the newspaper: "My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies."

Faibish found her son's body in a bedroom. He was covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury.

No charges have been filed.

"It's Nicky's time to go," she said in the interview. "When you're born you're destined to go and this was his time."

Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack.

Rex was taken to a shelter, but Faibish said she wanted him put down.

twodogsandacat
June 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Found another version here: http://cbs5.com/localnews/local_story_163130644.html

“I put him down there, with a shovel on the door,” Faibish told the newspaper. “He had a bunch of food. And I told him, `Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me.”

Faibish said she was concerned that the male dog, Rex, was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat.

Home alone, Nicholas Faibish apparently found a way to open the basement door. That's when his mom believes he walked in on the dogs while they were mating and was attacked by Rex.

“It was Rex. I know it in my heart,” Faibish said. “My younger dog (Ella) was in heat and anyone who came near her, Rex saw as a threat. He may have been trying to mate. It was a freak accident. It was just the heat of the moment.”

Despite her concerns about Rex that day, Faibish told the newspaper: “My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies.”

Faibish returned in the middle of the afternoon on June 3 to discover her son's lifeless body in a bedroom. He was covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury.

“It's Nicky's time to go,” she said. “When you're born you're destined to go and this was his time.”

Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack. Rex was taken to a shelter.

I agree with badger 100% on this one.....

badger
June 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/12/fataldog.mauling.ap/index.html

chico2
June 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM
OMG,what a complete idiot...should not have kids or animals :evil:

JDG
June 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Another mauling story, with pitbulls no less. . . that's two steps backwards for people fighting BSL. . .

twodogsandacat
June 12th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Another mauling story, with pitbulls no less. . . that's two steps backwards for people fighting BSL. . .

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/07/BAGRDD4EPE1.DTL

This reporter tried dismissing the argument that often it’s the owner’s and not the dog argument as well as the invading the dogs space argument. Once he had that out of the way he had won as these dogs were described as affectionate and loving……..what a difference a day makes. I wonder if he will address it again now that HIS paper has exposed the truth that the owner was an idiot and that the child was ALLOWWED to invade the dogs space – possibly during mating.

On the face of it, it seems Nicholas' death would be a setback for the apologists. Neighbors said the dogs were friendly and affectionate, not anti- social guard dogs. One of the first points a pit bull fancier will make is that that the problem isn't the dog, it is the owners. My pit bull, they often say, is the sweetest, most loving pet in the world and plays with neighborhood kids all the time.
Just like the Faibishes' dogs.

Nor can it be said that Nicholas was "invading the dogs' space." ……………………………….………
So the "sweet and loving" and the "don't invade the dogs' space" arguments fall flat. But you can expect to hear the other usual responses from the pit bull lobby.

melanie
June 12th, 2005, 07:00 PM
i saw this on the news, she shoudl be locked up for the rest of her life, and that would be a nice thing to do to her when i think of al l the other things i could suggest and do, stupid woman needs to be nutered and locked up or just shot in the head and done with......

in aus it is against the companion animals act to leave a child 12 yo and under with any dog unattended, it is clearly against the law. im very surprised that america does not have such laws, considering the level of law they have to protect such things as the gun owners, yet there seems to be a lack of legislation to protect children and animals......

here if such a thing happend you would be charged under the animal act and the child abuse act...why is she not being charged with neglect and child abuse???? she should be done to the full extent of the law and held up as an example to others in such situations....

Angeleyes1437
June 14th, 2005, 05:01 PM
i saw this on the news, she shoudl be locked up for the rest of her life, and that would be a nice thing to do to her when i think of al l the other things i could suggest and do, stupid woman needs to be nutered and locked up or just shot in the head and done with......

in aus it is against the companion animals act to leave a child 12 yo and under with any dog unattended, it is clearly against the law. im very surprised that america does not have such laws, considering the level of law they have to protect such things as the gun owners, yet there seems to be a lack of legislation to protect children and animals......

here if such a thing happend you would be charged under the animal act and the child abuse act...why is she not being charged with neglect and child abuse???? she should be done to the full extent of the law and held up as an example to others in such situations....

It's sad for the people who are responsible dog owners. People like this give dogs, especially Pit Bull breeds a bad name. And worse than that she had her own child killed!!!!!!! She should go to jail... charge her with child abuse, manslaughter, name it, I won't complain. This is downright horrible and supports the fact that people should need a license to own a dog (in this case it's too bad we can't do this with children)... not a typical dog license, but similar to a drivers license. Take a test, pay a fee... have some knowledge!

And spay/nueter!! ... why bother breeding any pit bull breeds aside from show? There are so many in shelters that everyone aside from reputable breeders (to keep the breed standard going) should fix them! Along with all breeds! I get so mad when I read something like this! I watched the news report and knew there had to be more to the story.

ksjduffle
June 14th, 2005, 05:19 PM
This is a horrible tragedy think of what this poor boys last moments were like who knows how long the poor child suffered Im a firm believer in have done to you what you did to others they should handcuff her to a chair and turn 2 pits on her so that she will know exactly what she put her child through. Sorry to sound harsh but what kind of parent would neglect a child this way locking your child in a basement and putting a shovel in front of the door that is neglect and abuse in itself. She has no right to go on living

glasslass
June 14th, 2005, 07:38 PM
The S.F. Chronicle quoted a few additional gems from the mother. She stated that the male dog was trained to lick off her makeup every day. Then she said that the male was wanting to get to the female but that the female was avoiding him. She told the female to just go do it and get it over with. Can you believe she's saying all this to an interviewer? The ignorance and irresponsibility! Also said she didn't regret her actions that day. She felt they shot the wrong dog. She loves her dogs to pieces, but wants him destroyed.

badger
June 14th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Perverted. I imagine family services will be having a look at her 'crib' real soon.

Luvmypit
June 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM
What is wrong with her? who says those kinda comments at all when your child has just been killed. She just lost her child and is practically telling jokes about the dogs... I mean what the...

Something is definantly wrong there.

lilith_rizel
June 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM
You know, the smarter idea would have been to put the male dog in the basement, even better, take the boy with her. What an idiot. Anyways. If she knew there was a problem, there were countless ways she could have prevented it..... it is her fault, not the dogs....

KessyWessy
June 19th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I agree lilith_rizel.

Putting aside the fact that the boy was killed in the end, what was she thinking locking her him in the basement by barring the door with a shovel? Suppose there had been an emergency, like a fire or something, he would have been trapped.

Far better to bar the dogs in separate rooms.

An amazing display of stupidity. Do you suppose she's brain damaged or something? (I'm serious)

baffled

MegShawnMom
June 19th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I would be more interested in reading the police report on what happened and what was said and done. The newspapers tend to distort the truth to their slant of a story. Regardless, the child died and thats the biggest shame. Not everbody understand what happens with a female in heat and a male nearby and what to do and not do. A terrible shame indeed.

badger
June 24th, 2005, 12:24 PM
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The mother of a 12-year-old boy fatally mauled by the family's pit bulls was charged Thursday with child endangerment.

Nicholas Faibish was killed June 3 by one or both of the family dogs when his mother went out to run errands.

Maureen Faibish, 39, found her son in a bedroom, covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury.

One of the dogs was shot and killed by a police officer shortly after the attack. The other remains in animal control custody.

"His parent made the decision to leave (Nicholas) alone in a situation that endangered his life and ultimately led to his death," prosecutor Kamala Harris said in a statement.

Maureen Faibish told the San Francisco Chronicle she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him. She said the male dog was acting possessively because the female was in heat.

An arraignment will be scheduled for next week. Faibish faces a maximum ten years in prison if convicted.