Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

when will the heat wave break..???!!

twinmommy
June 11th, 2005, 09:23 PM
just to let you all know that we purchased central air at the end of this week.

We have 1-2 weeks to wait until delivery.

You can be sure, on that day precisely, the heat wave will end. ;) :rolleyes:

hehehehe

raingirl
June 11th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I know...it's SOOOO hot. Today it got to 97F in my solarium. Thank god it is separated by an insulated door from our apartment. Even with AC on and fans running, we only got it down to 81F...didn't get higher.

twinmommy
June 11th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Took the kids to the mall--it was just too hot to be out in the early p.m., and it wa the first time in a long time that even in the mall, you could n't feel the air condtioning. I'm one to be chilly in stores--NOT today. :sick:

Vas
June 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
It's becoming more and more unbearable! It's 30C at home! What do you guys do to refresh yourselves?
I'm so not used to hot weather: I cannot work, I cannot sleep, I cannot clean the house or cook... :( I'm wearing now a wet t-shirt (I got an idea to put it under cold water :o ) to cool a little bit ...!

raingirl
June 11th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I jump in the shower and run icy cold water for a few seconds, then jump out. I find wet hair keeps me cool.

lilith_rizel
June 11th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I know when I would get too hot, I would got to the basement and lay on the cement!!! hard tile (like you see in some stores and gas stations) is a nice option too.....

I know a friend of my aunts would open the windows and night, and get up before sunrise to close them, and had THICK curtains too keep out the sunlight.... They would only use small coffee table lamps, in the rooms they were using, and it stayed fairly cool in the house all day......

Safyre
June 11th, 2005, 10:23 PM
The heat wave will break: Thursday June 16th
We're going back down to normal, or below normal temps that day... high on June 16th is expected to be 18 C YAY!!!!!!

As for keeping cool: Soak your feet in a bucket of cool water. You will feel instantly cooler :)

Prin
June 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I jump in the shower and run icy cold water for a few seconds, then jump out. I find wet hair keeps me cool.
LOL I don't jump out. Yesterday we ran out of hot water and I stayed in there like 20 more minutes. :) Cheapest shower I've ever had.

There was a guy who called into a radio show a while back and said he took very hot showers in the heat. They laughed him off the phone. I thought about it-- it makes sense. You go in the hot shower, you vasodilate because your extremities are trying to get rid of the heat, and then you get out, still a bit vasodilated and with the body in super-hot mode going into just hot, you're cool. On the other hand if you have a cold shower, your body is trying to warm up, vaso constricts and then when you get out, you'll warm up really fast. I don't know, but it seems to make sense, no? All I can say is when I am in the hot and humid, the LAST thing I want is a hot shower... :)

lilith_rizel
June 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
For those of you who can do this, get a small baby pool and fill it with water, and put it in a nice shady spot outside!3 I find hose water is the coldest. That is another think I did during the day, when I was a couple years younger..... maybe even put a small fan out there, get some nice pina coladas, and pretend your on a tropical island! I am sure if you really were, you wouldn't mind the heat.... :D

Lucky Rescue
June 12th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I call this weather "The days when the cats go flat".:p

It's really unbearable. I have a/c in my finished basement, so hide out down there. Bedtime is not so bad, since I have a forested lot and the trees cool things down at night.

I got Chloe a kiddie pool yesterday, but of course she won't go in it, since she is terrified that I might give her a bath if she does. :rolleyes:

lilith_rizel
June 12th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Lucky, that is really cute..... I am sure she will go in eventually.....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I wish it were hot here, we are going to the waterslides today and it is raining.! Oh well I guess we are going to get wet anyways. Its only 24 which is cool for the okanangan in the summer.

doggy lover
June 12th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Did you guys here about the woman in Toronto who left her dog in the car for 2 hours on Friday, the police got the dog out and gave it to the HS now she gets a $255 fine. She said the car was cold when she left the dog in it, thank goodness for a passerby reporting it. The dog is ok.

JDG
June 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Marty and Minou have two places they have been camped out since this heat started. . . underneath the air con unit and in the bath tub.

I have been wetting their fur a bit to keep them cool. They seem to like it, Minou more than marty though! They like how cool they feel when they sit infront of one of the fans. . . .

as for keeping myself cool. . . buckets and buckets of water! I drink water like its going out of style. . .we also make tons of ice cubes. The cats get ice cubes in their water, and we put ice in our drinks. . .

We have dark curtains too, and we try to keep our place cool that way - but it doesnt always work. We are south facing and get sun for almost the whole day (I'm truly not complaining about that though)

Prin
June 13th, 2005, 02:19 AM
I got a kiddie pool about 3 years ago and neither doggy would go near it. I gave up. We just moved and decided to bring it along anyway, and I filled it today and PULLED Jemma in and once she realized what it was, she started thrashing around in there. It was awesome to see my doggy cooling off finally... (Boo wouldn't go near it though...)

Rick C
June 13th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I posted this link (below) in the picture forum but it sounds like it would be appropriate here as well . . . . Abby and Keeper and I touring the Forestry Trunk Road west of flood-ravaged Calgary and area on Saturday, came across this sight . . . . fresh snow and pretty deep.

Cool yourselves in this picture. . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1070082_edited-2.jpg

We can't get out of the cold and the rain here and the flood threat in High River is back on.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
June 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Rick C, all I can say is, I so wish I was there-- rain, shine, hot, cold...

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 10:09 AM
my cats hang out in teh bathtub when its hot too, makes it interesting when you go to shower

if you dont look when you turn the faucet on 3 cats go running for dear life LOL

i hope the heat breaks soon, Ty has awful heatrash and i cant seem to get it under control, hes been cwarling around as naked as the day he was born and still has rash all over his tummy and back

he goes to the doctor later today, maybe the doctor can give him a cream to help it heal up some
i want winter back!

Eleni

mrjohndoe
June 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Ditto for the Kitties in the bath tub. It seems to be the coolest room in the apartment.

The last few days & nights they've actually been hanging out in front of the fans with me! Poor little guys.

heidiho
June 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM
So Is It Humid In Canada Also???here Ot Is Like 105,but It Is A Dry Heat[arizona]humidity Is Only Like 20%

Writing4Fun
June 13th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Ugh! Yeah, it's humid up here. The air has been so thick these past few days (weeks?), you could almost chew it! :yuck: I swear sometimes I can feel it weighing down my lungs. I hate the humidity. We visited Calgary in July a few years back. It was just as hot as back home, but because it was a dry heat, we barely felt it at all. I'm sure there's pros and cons to the dry heat vs humidity...can't quite think of a "pro" for this kind of humidity, though...

Phoebe's favorite spot these days is laying flat on the ceramic tiles right near an air conditioning vent. She would lie right on top of it, but every time it kicks on, it scares her a little. :p

lilith_rizel
June 13th, 2005, 02:43 PM
With the humidity here, it feels like it is 95 F. Even with air on, it feels hot today. But not too sunny, and the UV is at a low for us, so it is off to the poopl we go. It is just too blah in the house today. I have nothing more to do. So we just need to get out today. Haven't done that in 4-5 days now....